The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Trunk Rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am going that route but am still in the process of saving while doing some other small things.. According to GRNDSM the VIS hatch fits very close to stock with little difference if any so I will most certainly be getting one from them. I should hopefully have the money by the end of this month to find one to order, then the waiting game begins for shipment.. I will follow up with an update as soon as I can (hopefully sooner than later!)

I've used a standard marine epoxy and that's done the trick well.

small rust spots like this I usually dig out with a small scraper (sometimes a really fine flat head) and sand paper then I wipe it well and cover it with those automotive paint pens closest color to matching. I have had good luck with that. I couldn't find a red to match one of my cars while back so I got a primer pen and made sure to stop all the rust in its tracks.

I am in the middle of going over addressing rust on the underside of my car currently. since I'm pulling the suspension anyway I'm wire brushing everything and painting it. using VHT epoxy paint in a spray can it's working well.

The lesson here is that rust repair is NOT EASY. Shops who are really good at it, charge a lot more! Most "OK" rust repairs will eventually come back in 1-2 years! This coming back in just a few months means that this was pretty bad job!

Whenever possible, REPLACE the panels (and then paint them, if needed)! The only things that I would consider repairing would be PERMAMENT parts of your car: 1/4 panels, rocker panels, strut towers and radiator support.

If you can't swing CF, go get new (used, but rust free) hatch ($50-$150) and get this shop to repaint it. They owe you that much!

Yeah that's why I was checking out your hatch with the Talon glass in it (Considering making that drive to you more than ever lately). ;P Before I even had the repair done I was considering CF anyways but I like the paint color too much and wanted to keep it.. But hey with CF it'll be gone for good and I can always have it painted. Kind of one of those scenarios where I wanted to take the "cheaper" route and end up paying for it. That's how it always goes.

Well the only hatch I was able to find at all was on Miller Imports for I'm pretty sure around 100-200 bucks but it wasn't until after I had dropped my car off for the work. One of the shops I went to for a quote, I had them do 3 estimates. One for fixing the rust, one for replacing the hatch and repainting it, and another for swapping the glass out to a CF hatch and no paint with install and spoiler mounting. The rust fix was around 500, the replacement with paint was about 700 (with hatch included) or so, and the CF was about 900 (hatch included) if I remember correctly. I have the quotes at home still to double check but yes, at the time fixing the rust was the cheapest option. All and all this was a big learning experience for me..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back