Tri-metal vs aluminum rod bearings

Posted by lars y, Sep 2, 2013
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. lars y

lars y Proven Member

Halden, Europe
    I read up on the difference regarding the main bearings, but i couldn`t find much information about the rod bearings. Will the same principles apply on the rod bearings?

From what i could gather the tri-metal bearings can withstand more pressure but the aluminum bearings are more forgiving.
    So in a high HP engine the tri-metal would be the better choice, while aluminum is cheaper and better suited for a stock engine.

Thanks
  2. TSIfreek

TSIfreek Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    cary, Illinois
    The aluminum bearings are way more forgiving to the crack shaft as they are a very soft metal. I use the aluminum bearings and have no problem with them. Alot of engine builders perfer the aluminum bearings as well. They are cheaper but dont let that fool you.
  3. BlackKnight2013

BlackKnight2013 Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Longmont, Colorado
    Tri metal bearings are mostly used for high reving engines and can take a lot of abuse when they are set up properly and the correct series is chosen.