The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission Noise (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristecom

Probationary Member
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey guys, I'm getting a noise coming from the transmission (I'm pretty sure). At first I only heard it in second gear. Then I started hearing it in first. Now I hear it in all gears although second is still the loudest. It's getting louder in time. It's sort of a chugging, clunking noise. I haven't replaced my transmission oil in about two years so could that be it? What are your thoughts (before I take it to a dealer). Thanks.

BTW, the car is a 1999 Eclipse GSX manual.

Transmission Noise - YouTube

How well can you shift; any grinding gears or does it jump out of gear? Does it ever make this sound when not in gear (just coasting?). Does the car vibrate?

Certainly wouldn't hurt to check the trans fluid, I try to check mine yearly or monthly if the trans has been recently serviced.

Could be axle. Or transmission fluid. Just a question does our cats always sound like a jet engine when it's powering down? Because mine is making that noise and I can kind of here it in your video as well.

Jared, it actually shifts like normal. I can feel a slight vibration when the noise gets loud enough but nothing major. It does not make this sound when coasting with the clutch disengaged. You can however still hear it when decelerating in gear although it's much louder when accelerating.

Did you figure this out yet i have the same sound and have no clue if i broke my tranny or an axle??

Does it change when you push the clutch it?

If not I would lift the car off all 4 wheels and do a wiggle test at all four corners and on the drive train.

Will do tmrw

Tranny fluid is fine looks normal. im gonna put it on a lift next wknd and drive it through the gears and see if we can pin point the sound.

I drained it awhile back and it had a little metallic sheen to it. I figured the owner before me never changed it.
The tranny didnt do this before the motor spun some bearings. It sat or about a year. Then finally got all put back together and this is the sound it makes in second gear.

If i was to pull the cover off the transmission, what would i be looking for?

Was this problem ever solved? I have this same problem and every thread I search, there is no solution.

I have a 420A and just did a clutch replacement now I'm getting this crazy noise. Anybody figure this out yet? :confused:

[ame=http://youtu.be/cqmjlSa6XkU]Car Noise - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's been bled properly, I thought our clutches were self adjusting, I may be mistaken. Torqued the clutch bolts with loctite, not sure to what spec, I had a hard time finding a definite torque number. Is the fork loose? Ummm maybe, is it supposed to be tight? This was my first clutch replacement and I thought I had everything covered, unfortunately not.

I'm pretty sure it's been bled properly, I thought our clutches were self adjusting, I may be mistaken. Torqued the clutch bolts with loctite, not sure to what spec, I had a hard time finding a definite torque number. Is the fork loose? Ummm maybe, is it supposed to be tight? This was my first clutch replacement and I thought I had everything covered, unfortunately not.

Self adjusting to a point. I think the Turbo DSM is 14ft lbs. Dont remember off hand.
The fork isnt supposed to wiggle. Kinda firmly on the slave push rod. Just kinda sounded like maybe it was wiggling around. But im sure that would cause some shifting issues if it were that loose.
Can you look through the inspection hole?
Make sure all the Trans to engine blots are tight?

The fork is tight, or at least I can't wiggle it with my hands. I thought loose bolts as well so I checked the suspension and clutch bolts, still good. I actually hoped it was something that simple. Could a lack of grease somewhere make this noise? It sounds to me like something is loose and just knocking around but I can't find anything like that.

Could I have messed up a CV axle?

Last edited:
If it were an axle, it would be constant.
The repair manual suggests you put some grease on the input shaft when re-mating the trans to the motor.
Did you replace the throw out bearing, and properly put the 'jesus clip' back on? Could be the bearing flopping around.

I didn't put grease on anything when putting it back together. Probably a dumb mistake. Even replaced the bearing. I've been debating on whether or not I would drop the transmission again just to grease it but it looks like I may have to. Hard to believe that much noise would come from no grease.

I didn't put grease on anything when putting it back together. Probably a dumb mistake. Even replaced the bearing. I've been debating on whether or not I would drop the transmission again just to grease it but it looks like I may have to. Hard to believe that much noise would come from no grease.

Did you put the clip back on the exact way it came off, and make sure it was seated?
It couldnt be super dry. But you might want to pull it back off and re-do it. While its apart, check the input shaft for wiggles. Recheck the clip on the TOB. You used the clutch alignment tool, and pushed it all the way in I hope.

I hope I don't kick myself for this but the 420A came with a modular clutch pack, I didn't think the alignment tool would be needed. I made pretty sure to get the TOB clipped on correctly but I guess it might be possible it fell off while I was putting the transmission back in. I was in a rush to get the car back on the road as my other ride was also down, maybe I should have done a little more homework.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back