The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

transmission locked out of 1st?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe_nasty

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Easton, Maryland
So basically, when i go to drive my car, it wont let me go into gear. I can have a friend roll the car forward slightly while im pushing the clutch in and then it will go into gear. Once im driving, it shifts perfecty fine. Goes into every gear. Its only when the car has sat and then i go to drive it, it wont go into any gear. Any ideas? Also my master and slave cylinder and clutch line have been recently replaced with oem parts.

A couple questions:
Did the problem start right after changing cylinders?
Does the pedal feel mushy after it sits?
Did you properly adjust the clutch pedal?
What fluid is in your transmission?

I think it started a while back when I had the car up in the air and spun one of the rear wheels by hand a couple rotations while working on something and when I put it back on the ground, it wouldn't go into 1st. Like something is out of sync possibly from turning the wheel?

A little more info, So ive checked the clutch pedal adjustment and that seems fine. The master and slave cylinder seem fine. What ive noticed is when i try and put the car into 1st gear, as im pressing the shift knob forward to engage, the car wants to roll forward slightly as if someone were pushing the car from behind as i push the shift knob into 1st. aslo, I tried to shut the car off while in 1st gear so that it would already be engaged when i restarted the car. As i held the clutch in and started it, the car jumped slightly forward even though the clutch was engaged.

1st synchro is probably nearly gone. That's why other gears work and 1st doesn't. Fix the clutch or the other synchros will soon follow.

Little update. So i bled the clutch multiple times. Finally got the car to go into 1st. drove it a handful of times and went into gear fine each time. Today i went to drive it and out of nowhere i am locked out of all gears again. I am at a loss of what else to try without having to have the trans pulled out. any suggestions?

A little more info, So ive checked the clutch pedal adjustment and that seems fine. The master and slave cylinder seem fine. What ive noticed is when i try and put the car into 1st gear, as im pressing the shift knob forward to engage, the car wants to roll forward slightly as if someone were pushing the car from behind as i push the shift knob into 1st. aslo, I tried to shut the car off while in 1st gear so that it would already be engaged when i restarted the car. As i held the clutch in and started it, the car jumped slightly forward even though the clutch was engaged.
You probably said it all here. "Seem fine".

Sounds like a dragging clutch as Pauleyman mentioned above already.... I wouldn't assume "seems fine" because out of all the problems I've had anywhere in life none of them ever "fixed themselves".

Could be possible you leaked out brake fluid from the clutch line. It definitely seems like clutch drag like mentioned. I experienced something similar and the issue was a bad slave cylinder and master going out also.
Surely you're referring to clutch fluid and not brake fluid...:)

Sounds like you need to bleed the clutch some more. Look into buying speed bleeders. They make life so much easier.

Pump-up from an improperly adjusted pedal? It working for a bit after bleeding and now no longer would point at that, at least to me, but I dont have a 2g.

My car kind of did a similar thing. I replaced the slave and the master. I had to bleed the clutch every time I messed with it over the span of 2 weeks. Haven't had to bleed it since and it drives fine now. Maybe just bleed the hell out of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back