1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

Transmission install cost?

Posted by Wilfus65gs, Sep 11, 2005
420A Bolt-on Tech - Intake, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 2G N/T DSMs. New Members must limit their 420A tech posts to this forum.

1. Wilfus65gs

Wilfus65gs Proven Member

Marion, North_Carolina
    Well i finally bought a transmission (used for $600, dont know the mileage but i really needed one for a good price) and i was wondering about how much it might cost to have a shop put it in. I would put it in myself but i really dont have the time between football, school, and work. one shop that i went to said that they could do it in a day for about 300 bucks but i would figure that a transmission specialty could do it for cheaper... anybody know about how much it might cost???

2. gsx951

gsx951 Proven Member

townsville, Michigan
    If you follow the instructions at www.vfaq.com you can do this by yourself in less than a day with hand tools and a floor jack.
    If your really just don't have time, $300 is pretty good for a 2G. Dealers get in the area of $600 to R&R a tranny in a 2G.

3. BigRand

BigRand Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Toronto, Ontario_Canada
    Yeah $300 is about right.

4. dr1665

dr1665 DSM N/T Wiseman

Phoenix, Arizona
    For $300, I'd almost consider letting them do it myself. Of course, I would be there watching them the whole time, but that's beside the point. :D

You can do it in a day by yourself. Another idea, if you're unsure, is to see if you can't find someone from this forum or 2GNT who lives near you. Offer to buy beer and pizza and set up a Saturday or something to do the swap. :thumb: