The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

transmission fluid help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitzEclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2002
Kearny, New_Jersey
kk i have the 420 a engine... and transmission

so i just want to hear this out of 420a experts cuz i dont want to blow my engine =(

anyways what kind of transmission fluid is good for our manual transmissions....

i heard redline 75w 85w is good? .... shoul di go for that any others out there

kk im sorry but i guess u didnt hear me say 420a engine.... its a totally diff motor and tranny then turbo... kk....

dont wanna blow my tranny for puttin wrong tranny fluid

You MUST go to the dealer and buy the fluid there. Go to a mitsu dealer or a chrysler dealer, and they will have it. It is kind of expensive so be ready for that. If you look in any manafacturers book for oil for this tranny you will not find it. Nobody lists a fluid for it because it has to come from the dealer. Trust me man that's the only stuff to put into that tranny.

kirby thanks alot... umm i might go with the redline 75w 85w... it was pretty good and last me for a long time... but for some reason i did a motor swap and the mechanic put some cheap ass transmission fluid... i was just wondering which was a good one for our cars

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
kk im sorry but i guess u didnt hear me say 420a engine.... its a totally diff motor and tranny then turbo... kk....

dont wanna blow my tranny for puttin wrong tranny fluid
Yet you're considering Redline. Ooookay.

Not all that different. Synchromesh.

Put a 75w or 85w gear oil in that tranny and you'll wreck it for sure. The stuff that goes into a 420a trans is like a 20w oil.
The pennzoil synchromesh is close, but its not exactly what you need and don't let the chrysler part # at the bottom of the container fool you.
Please, go to the dealer and get the stuff that's right for your car. It's not cheap, but neither is any kind of transmission work.

Well in conclusion i am usin The Pennzoil Synchromesh ... way better then redline....

I just looked it up in my chilton's manual and it said to use texaco MTX Fluid FM. I hope this helps you.:thumb:

yeah, go to the dealer to get it. you have to use that transmission fluid in our trannies. oterhwsie you will have problems

The NVT 350 transmission needs to use the dealership fluid only. In nearly every all cases where I've heard feedback from people that used other fluids the outcome has been negative.

The transmission fluid is NOT manual transmission fluid. It is specifically called Manual Transaxle Fluid. It specifically says on the bottle that it is for the transmissions used in the 2gnt.
Doug

im going to sound like such a noob but i cant find where to put the tranny fuil in. i found the oil cap but i cant find the tranny one any one help me

Its on the top side of your tranny. Basically if you get under the car and reach up you can find it. To see it from the top take out your battery, the battery box, the winshield cleaner resiviour and the brake fluid.

thanks found it but now im leaking oil front the block and i found it was an oil sensor is that right?it plugs under the bock but higher than the oil pan so does anybody know what imtaking about.

There should be 3 plugs in the back of your block. Starting from the oil filter and working left, first one is your engine temp sensor (I'm pretty sure it is anyway), second is your block coolant drain plug, and third is your oil pressure switch. The only one that has oil behind it is the Oil Pressure Switch. I noticed a lot of oil back there, but I found it was my head gasket

I have been using Redline MTL, for about a year, it works better then the OEM fluid. I get much crisper shifting with it... I have read of people having busted transaxles because of using improper oil, but Redline has worked great for me. No leakage from seals.

Do not use regular gear oil, it will rott the synchros.

It's quite a b1tch to refil the transaxle, I remeber I had to get a very thin latex tube and attach it to a water bottle... then push on the water bottle to get the oil flowing. The oil also so thick that it doesn't want to flow on it's own. Also to make sure you have enougth of it in, keep pouring until the oil starts to overflow.

Here is pdf chart for Redline if you guys don't belive that we can use Redline MTL in our transaxles:

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/cat_header/488_1.pdf (look at "Mitsubishi N/A Eclipse")

Doug99RS said:
The NVT 350 transmission needs to use the dealership fluid only. In nearly every all cases where I've heard feedback from people that used other fluids the outcome has been negative.

The transmission fluid is NOT manual transmission fluid. It is specifically called Manual Transaxle Fluid. It specifically says on the bottle that it is for the transmissions used in the 2gnt.
Doug
Doug has caught me again. From the 2GNT site:

What fluid you you recommend for the NV-T350?

The factory(Mopar part number 4874465) fluid is recommended, it is a bit expensive. The factory fluid holds up well to 300+ WHP, and is specifically formulated for the NV-T350 transmission.

New Venture Gear is now using ATF+4 in there manual gear boxes. It has also been used by dealerships for years with no adverse effects.

Capacity is just over 2 quarts (2.1 quarts) so 3 quarts are needed, and you need to fill the transmission with the car level to get an accurate level.

wow its been a year and 3 days that i havent posted in here...

anyways i used penzoil synchromesh transaxle fluid... u can get it at autozone, its a yellow bottle... its been a year that i changed my transmission, havent had a problem yet.... wait should go knock on wood LOL

so regarding the leaking oil u think it the oil temp sensor if so can it leak alot of oil like i am. and i f so how much i s one?

Sounds like the oil pressure sending unit. It's sometimes lime green in color. Has a connector that can accomodate two wires but it only needs/uses one for this application. It's located almost straight down from the throttle body. You should replace it. And when you do, clean off the oil on the electrical connector and inspect it for swelling. The oil will soak in to it and cause voltage changes in the signal. If this occurs your oil light will come on OR may not come on at all in a situation where it SHOULD.
Doug

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back