1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

Transaxle = Transmission? Same thing

Posted by Spanky12345, Jun 6, 2005
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. Spanky12345

Spanky12345 Proven Member

, Dallas_Tx
    Is the transaxle and the transmission the same thing?

2. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Yes - but technically, our cars have transaxles.

3. speedy13

speedy13 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    hollywood, Florida
    I believe it's called trans exle because its a tranversall gear box,meaning from side to side.where as the sr20det,jgze's type are called transmissions because the y ar from front to back of the car.regardless your transaxle is a transmission.one more point i believe i was leaving out is that a tranmission has the differential seperate from the gear box.someone correct me if i'm wrong.

4. slider85

slider85 Proven Member

Langley, B.C._Canada
    NO. i don't know the exact difference but i believe the transaxle is used mainly for FWD and AWD. A transmission is used for RWD models. A transaxle also has a transfer case attached to it. once again don't know the exact difference but there are.

5. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado
    The difference lies in the fact that there's a transmission and a differential inside the transaxle unit, whereas standard tranmissions do not have differentials. A RWD relies on a differential inside the rear axle - FWD's and most AWD's have differentials in the transaxle to drive the front wheels.

As a side effect, most transaxles are mounted transversely, while most transmissions are mounted longitudinally.

6. Spanky12345

Spanky12345 Proven Member

, Dallas_Tx
    The guy at the "City Garage" said the transmission was "sealed." So I take he is a dunb-ass and they I can flush and refill the transmission flid of my 1G DSM NTon-turbo without much hassle?

7. igs

igs Proven Member

Seattle, Washington
    trans - axle is when the transmission and axle are the same unit

FWD is usually a transaxle

our AWD has a front transaxle and rear axle

most RWD have front transmission and rear axle