The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Trans Control Module Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwpat

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 22, 2009
Bloomington, Indiana
I have a 1997 Talon TSi that I swapped to Auto AWD from a 1995 car. My question is whether or not I have to swap the TCM from the 95 car? The transmission goes into limp mode,(only has 3rd gear). Has anyone else ever swapped a FWD auto car to AWD Auto? Did you have to change the TCM when this was done?

Thanks again.

(Reason for post: I am finding lots of conflicting information on this regarding this information)

pic of car since i am newbie:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think any of the awd parts for the tcm uses any extra plugs. maybe try another tcm that is eprom. I have one but its fwd 97. converted to 5 speed so its extra stuff. maybe there's a tranny issue or the tcm is freaking out.

Eprom TCM?? I was unaware that such a thing existed.

I guess my question should have went like this: Is there a difference in the TCM, between the FWD turbo and AWD Turbo cars?

Did you check the TCU for codes? could be one of the sensors that were damaged during the install or not working when you got it. To the best of my knowledge, the only difference in 2ga and 2gb are the transfer case ratios. Shouldn't be an issue with the TCUs.

Did you check the TCU for codes? could be one of the sensors that were damaged during the install or not working when you got it. To the best of my knowledge, the only difference in 2ga and 2gb are the transfer case ratios. Shouldn't be an issue with the TCUs.

I have not pulled any codes from the car yet.

Here is everything I figured out last night.

1. Car is a 1997 FWD, Swapped to AWD from a 1995 donor car.

2.He did change the TCU, but I checked the part # and it is for a 97-98 AWD car.

3. The wiring in the car is for is obviously for a 97. The wiring is not cut or hacked anywhere.

4. The trans is in limp mode.

5.There is a different part # for 95 AWD cars TCU, from the 97-99 AWD tcu. I am wondering if I need that tcu to make this whole thing work right.

Update: I have ordered the correct matching TCU that matches the transmission.

I have also compared several wiring diagrams and pinout charts for the 95 TCU vs the 97-99 TCU and they appear to be the same. I also confirmed the plugs are the same into the TCU and into the trans on both models.

Can anyone else confirm this? Surely I can't be the first person to have either had a TCU fail or swapped a car from Manual to AUTO. Thanks.

Before you go and purchase anything, pull the codes from the TCU, it may point out a sensor problem. If you think the TCU is a problem, see if you can borrow a working one and swap it to see if it is the problem. Hate to see you waste money.

I have installed the matching TCU for the transmission and everything seems to be in working order. Thanks for those who chimed in.

I just went through this trying to use a fwd tcu in my awd car for an emergency. Trans must match tcu. It will show wrong gear ratios and put you in limp mode if you dont use matching tcu... they do have a slim few eprom ecus that can be reprogrammed... your other option is to get your own tcu that you can program anyway you like from efi specialties... although its pricey but you can change shift points and firmness among other stuff

so this confirms my fear. I want to swap my AWD n/a summit wagon to turbo. I have turbo transmission but did not get the a TCU. so i need the JDM RVR TCU to make this swap work. if anyone has a JDM TCU from RVR I am looking for one.

car is a 94. havent looked at the TCU yet but should have the 2 plug ECU. I do have eprom TCU from 97 that likley can be reflashed. but there are too many unknowns here that i cant find answers to. the 95up TCU has lock-up converter. the RVR trans does not. I myself really just want to run trans stock as possible. just up the line pressure under 65% throttle. but that can be done without flashing a TCU, which was my plan.

I also have a 2 plug to 3 plug adapter.. i would talk to dave at efi specialties and see if he can help you out. If you need my parts let me know. Dave can do amazing things with trans computers

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back