The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Towing broken down FWD & AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreopride18

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2002
Crestview_Fl
I've wondered about this (no, I don't park in "No Parking" zones)

If my AWD gets towed by two wheels and the differential gets fried do I have to pay for the damage done or would it come out of the private property/towing companies pocket?

today my timing belt broke so i called a tow truck to come get it....the tow truck was the one that just lifts the front of the car and the back wheels spin....i had it in neutral and 2 minutes later the rear wheels locked....i wanna know did this happen because the front wheels were not spinning....once i got it on all 4 wheels it rolled freely in neutral....any info will help..and do you guys think i broke anything....

Congrats, you just fried your viscious coupling.

It's either all or nothing when it comes to towing AWD DSM's.

Well Im guess that you most likely F'd up your T-case and you VC and will have to replace them. Have fun watching you wallet get real small.

NEVER TOW AN AWD CAR WITHOUT A FLATBED!!!

Oh well not my car.

Michael
:laser: :talon:

i have actually seen stickers that say awd vehicle, tow only with a flat bed!
hehehe, if dealerships ever become straight, they would offer all awd cars with this window sticker:thumb:
just my 2 $0.$$.

damnnnnnnnnnnnnn that sucks!! AAA tried to do that to me once. I told them i want a flatbed the lady says well if you want a "special order" then you'll have to wait longer. I said well if you knew anything you would know that i need the truck you stupid @#$@#$%@%@!@!#!$%^%& :thumb:

the rear wheels did lock up but when i got it on all fours it rolls fine in neutral now....i hope just the vc is broke and not the t-case......

My car was towed (about 50 yards) with just the two front wheels lifted since I left it in my school parking lot. I always keep the parking brake on as hard as possible so that saved my vc and t-case.

If it was stupidity on the tow truck guys side then you MIGHT be able to claim damages through them not knowing how to tow ur car correctly..

Better be willing to fight to the end!
Good luck tho!

:talon: :dsm:

Originally posted by prodsm
If it was stupidity on the tow truck guys side then you MIGHT be able to claim damages through them not knowing how to tow ur car correctly..

Better be willing to fight to the end!
Good luck tho!

:talon: :dsm:

yeah if you have it in you , you could win that .

I'm moving from St Louis to Jacksonville, Fla. I know I either have to have all 4 wheels on the ground or use a flatbed.

Sine I don't have a flatbed, I was wondering if it would hurt anything to disconnect the rear drive shaft and then use a tow dolley.

Shouldnt be an issue. I know awd dsms that have dynoed that way. Any reason why you arent getting a flatbed car carrier verses a tow dolley? Do you own a tow dolley? Or do you have to rent? I think car carriers and tow dolleys are comparable in rental pricing. Just my 2 cents.
Nick

GSXTCY said:
I know awd dsms that have dynoed that way.

I thought you had to do a whole bunch of shit in order to be able to dyno on a fwd dyno with an awd car? Please explain a wee bit for me. Just disconnect it and thats it? and Tow it to the dyno or just unhook it there?

Eagle_Summit said:
I thought you had to do a whole bunch of shit in order to be able to dyno on a fwd dyno with an awd car? Please explain a wee bit for me. Just disconnect it and thats it? and Tow it to the dyno or just unhook it there?

I am not 100% on what the specifics are on dynoing like that, but I know someone that has done this before. Sorry, cant elablorate anymore on this issue.

GSXTCY said:
Shouldnt be an issue. I know awd dsms that have dynoed that way. Any reason why you arent getting a flatbed car carrier verses a tow dolley? Do you own a tow dolley? Or do you have to rent? I think car carriers and tow dolleys are comparable in rental pricing. Just my 2 cents.
Nick

Nick, kids + DSM=problems.

Invested in a car dolly just to save money, of course that was before I realized the dolly wouldn't work. Still had to pay wrecker fees.

Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure my plan would work.

where can i find a trailer to tow an awd talon from brooklyn to red bank nj by tonight or tommorrow morning

last time i tried them i had trouble becuase they didn't have any within 3 hours of me

The last time I had to do the same I called uhaul.

Penske was very expensive. It may take a couple of days to get a car carrier if you are in a rush.

u-haul's the cheapest. I didn't have a truck, so I had to rent a 14-ft truck because that's the smallest vehicle they'll let tow a trailer, but it still ended up be $100 less than what penske was charging for the trailer alone.

Hey guys i just got another dsm. its a 1990 awd talon. Except i need to tow it to get it repaired. I know that i cant tow it with 2 or 4 wheels on the ground. and having a flatbed is my last resort because its a little more expensive for me right now.

i have access to a dolly and can get this guy to tow it for me but i dont know how to disconnect the driveshaft and where it is or anything.

Can i just disconnect the driveshaft and just tow it with the front two wheels on the ground? Or am i just going to have to flatbed it.

If i can tow it with two wheels on the ground. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect the driveshaft and where it is and what it looks like. Pics would be helpful if you have any.

Thanks guys:thumb:

Very easy ,look under the car at the rear diff (if you dont know what that is stop here and call a flat bed ROFL ) you will see a big shaft going from the front of the car to the back right next to the exhaust down the middle of the car. climb under the car and undo the 4 bolts that connect the shaft to the rear diff. then take out the carrier bearing bolts that connect the shaft to the bottom of the car then slide it out the back it will come right out of the transfer case. stick the shaft in the car get the car on the dolly front wheels on the dolly that is and your off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back