Torque converter won't go on

Posted by webconnect, Apr 25, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

1. webconnect

webconnect Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Antonio, Texas
    I can't get the torque converter to go in all the way into the bell housing. After about 2 hours + dinner I was able to get the starter ring on the torque converter to be flush with the bell housing. However the torque converter now appears to be jammed. I can't spin it. Is this normal?

:banghead:
  2. webconnect

webconnect Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just tried to upload pics but my camera's memory card is corrupt. Sorry. I took it out and tried again. Now the starter ring is flush to the bell housing, and I can turn it. However I still think the converter needs to be in more. Like the starter ring is inside the bell housing by 1/4 inch. Is that right?
  3. webconnect

webconnect Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Antonio, Texas
    After about a total of 18 man hours on just trying to get the converter on, I succeeded! While the converter's starter ring was flush with the bell housing, I turned the transmission on its opposite end. I then started to spin the converter and push, and let gravity do the work. It when in ever so slightly. Now the starter ring is 1/4 inch inside the bell housing. And it spins. thank the lord.
  4. dragonforce

dragonforce Probationary Member

brooklyn park, Minnesota
    Is this the first time installing a tranni? good thing you didn't turn it over the engine. if torque converter is not seated all the way, you can ruin front pump assembly.