1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

Torque converter won't go on

Posted by webconnect, Apr 25, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. webconnect

webconnect Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Antonio, Texas
    I can't get the torque converter to go in all the way into the bell housing. After about 2 hours + dinner I was able to get the starter ring on the torque converter to be flush with the bell housing. However the torque converter now appears to be jammed. I can't spin it. Is this normal?

:banghead:

2. webconnect

webconnect Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just tried to upload pics but my camera's memory card is corrupt. Sorry. I took it out and tried again. Now the starter ring is flush to the bell housing, and I can turn it. However I still think the converter needs to be in more. Like the starter ring is inside the bell housing by 1/4 inch. Is that right?

3. webconnect

webconnect Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Antonio, Texas
    After about a total of 18 man hours on just trying to get the converter on, I succeeded! While the converter's starter ring was flush with the bell housing, I turned the transmission on its opposite end. I then started to spin the converter and push, and let gravity do the work. It when in ever so slightly. Now the starter ring is 1/4 inch inside the bell housing. And it spins. thank the lord.

4. dragonforce

dragonforce Probationary Member

brooklyn park, Minnesota
    Is this the first time installing a tranni? good thing you didn't turn it over the engine. if torque converter is not seated all the way, you can ruin front pump assembly.