The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Torque converter help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj2gdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2010
riverside, California
I can't get the torque converter bolt holes to line up with the flexplate.also it seems like the torque converter is binding up won't spin freely any ideas?

1 tc not fully engaged into the pump.
2 tc snout is boogered up and won't slide into crank bushing
3 bolts holding flex plate on a regular over hanging the bushing, and won't let tc seat into crank bushing.
4 transmission not properly aligned

Hard to say. Did you torque the transmission to the block? Usually, if everything is lined up, the bolts go in finger tight. Then you'll line up the tc. Then you'll know all is good and continue.

What happenes is when I tighten the two bottom transmission bolts the torque converter stops moving.also the bolts to the flex plate are of by 1/8 the holes don't line up perfectly.

Did you remove the flex plate during whatever repair you were doing? If so, did you perhaps put it on backwards?

The fingers of the flex plate should be closer to the engine.

I removed the transmission today and everything seems fine. the torque converter snout was painted and it had marks where it stopped half way I sanded it to bare metal and now slides in .im not sure if I damaged anything ?what should I do?

Look inside the pump hole, and see if everything is in order. Put the tc in and make sure it is fully engaged and spin it around. If there's no binding, you should be good. Other than pulling the pump and doing an inspection, that's the best way to 'check'. Lube the snout that goes into the pump with some vasoline, and put some anti seize on the nub that goes into the crank.

If your torque converter is "indexed" correctly it will sit about 1/2" (guessing) back from flush with the transmission flange. It recesses back if indexed right. It takes 3 notches to get it indexed so keep turning it and pushing it in to the front pump. It will finally go into the pump and sit recessed. I am going over this with you because it sounds to me like the torque converter isn't seated all the way into the transmission. When it is you will be able to spin it to line up your flex plate holes with the converter without binding.

I reinstalled the transmission and I still can't get the torque converter bolts to line up with the flexplate. Also how freely is the torque converter supposed to move?

It should spin freely, with no interference. You should be able to bolt it up if nothing has changed from when you pulled it the first time. What has changed?

I would call them up and ask. If it's the correct tc, and it was fully seated, it should spin freely and not touch the flex plate. It's possible for it to shift when you lift the transmission into place. There should be a good 1/2" in between the flex plate and the tc bolt pads. That's the correct way it should look if everything is good.
If you don't have that small gap, either the tc has slid out during installation, or you got the wrong one.
Does it have 4 bolt pads on the tc?
This is a 2g transmission bolting to a 7 bolt 4g63t?

It was the wrong one they got me another and matched it with the flex plate. How much is the troque converter supose to move when installed.mine was only moving between two of the mounting pads.

Installed in the transmission, with the transmission bolted to the block, it should spin freely. When you inch it towards the block, you will encounter some resistance. That comes from the snout engaging the crank bushing. That's why you want to put a small amount of grease or anti seize on the snout.

Did the snout have paint on it? Do you have the 1/2" play between the tc and flex plate? Greased the snout? All of this makes a difference between a smooth install and one that sucks. Sounds like you are almost there.
Did you test fit the convertor in the crank bushing?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back