The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G topline lifters wont bleed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniegst

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2015
batavia, New_York
i bought these topline lifters about a year ago and had them just setting in oil for the last 11 months or so.... long build.... I pulled them out the other day and did the paper clip trick to get them bleed held them under oil wile pumping them for 30 seconds put them in the car and stated it up and its ticking like a mofo so i pull out one of the lifters and its solid as if i didnt even bleed them. so i did it again 1 min each under royal purple oil and put them in again same thing tiking like crazy and its not all of them only some lock up car runs rin just licking loud as hell..... any suggestions

Pumping them under oil isn't bleeding them, it's pumping them up. That's why they are solid. If you are lucky you haven't bent any valves.

With the paper clip in the lifter pump it in open air to get the oil out of them. They should then be collapsible by hand.

New lifters that have been bled properly will tick loudly until they pump up.

The paper clip trick worked good for me. I've been through two cylinder heads and have had my lifters out quite a few times. I personally never filled them with oil. I filled them, bled them back out. I made sure they were coated with oil and gave them a good coating of assembly lube.

How long are you running it for? I know we typically run 20w50, and my lifters always took forever to quiet down. I mean atleast 5 to 6 miles of back road driving. The last time I did my HG, I pulled them all out, bled them. Then I ran 5w30, and they quieted down faster, but still took 10 mins or so.

What donniekak said.

Pump the clear assembly lube out of them in open air.
Pump fresh oil into them while submerged.
Then pump that fresh oil out again in open air.
Install empty.

Mine stopped ticking almost instantly after install. Then got progressively quieter until i couldn't hear any noise from them over a period of about a minute or two.

You must of had a hell of a time installing them pumped up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back