The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Too much air chokes the engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitemike89pl

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2008
City of Kings, New_Hampshire
Hi guys, I think there is too much air coming into my engine. When I'm in like 2.8 - 3k RPM's and hit the gas, engine just like chokes and car won't accelerate. However, there is no problem when I keep it easy and accelerate slowly.

I have a Tsudo headers, exhaust with test pipe (just put on today test pipe), Cold Air Intake K&N and OBX throttle body spacer. Problems started after I got my intake. Do you guys think that my air filter is just too big and I should got something very small? or maybe its not enough fuel coming into the engine? Plugs and wires?

I had the problem long time and finally wanna solve it.

If you don't have something like a turbo or nitrous to make positive IM pressure, I don't see what would cause the PCM to choke. Do you have any CEL's? Is your intake restricted in any way? Is there any misfiring? If you haven't changed your plugs or wires in a while it may be best to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you take anything off to put on the intake?

I don't have a CEL.
Yes, I have K&N cold air intake with piping and filter. Maybe changing plugs and wires would be good idea?

to much air can choke the engine, but you wont get that from a CAI, we are talking cyclinder head porting work with stage 2-3 camshafts. It doesnt sound like an air problem, possibly a fuel or ignition problem

just realized you had a TB spaces, i am almost wondering if you have a vaccuum leak, have u preformed a vacuum test by chance?

to much air can choke the engine, but you wont get that from a CAI, we are talking cyclinder head porting work with stage 2-3 camshafts. It doesnt sound like an air problem, possibly a fuel or ignition problem

"Too much air" can't be a problem in a naturally aspirated vehicle. What you described is more of a valve timing issue, or improperly delivered air (hacked port jobs lead to decreased velocity or bad flow patterns).

just realized you had a TB spaces, i am almost wondering if you have a vaccuum leak, have u preformed a vacuum test by chance?

Now you're on to something! I agree that a vacuum leak is the most likely culprit. I would remove the throttle body spacer (it's useless in cars with port injection EFI) and go through everything else with a fine toothed comb. Make sure all gaskets are in good shape and all bolts or properly torqued.

Have you done anything else to the car?

VelocitàPaola;151944451 said:
"Too much air" can't be a problem in a naturally aspirated vehicle. What you described is more of a valve timing issue, or improperly delivered air (hacked port jobs lead to decreased velocity or bad flow patterns).

Now you're on to something! I agree that a vacuum leak is the most likely culprit. I would remove the throttle body spacer (it's useless in cars with port injection EFI) and go through everything else with a fine toothed comb. Make sure all gaskets are in good shape and all bolts or properly torqued.

Have you done anything else to the car?

No, just what I listed. CAI was the first mod on my car, so thats why I thought it could be an issue. I will replace spark plugs and see if there is any change.

VelocitàPaola;151944451 said:

Not to hi-jack this thread, but i thought you could have to much air, if you had such great air-flow that you didnt have enough fuel to make for a good air fuel mixture, at least that is what i understood from this in the techguide section

Cylinder Head Porting
Greatly increase air flow through the cylinder head. You may need to compensate with more fuel, which means you'll need an aftermarket Air/Fuel Controller.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but i thought you could have to much air, if you had such great air-flow that you didnt have enough fuel to make for a good air fuel mixture, at least that is what i understood from this in the techguide section

Cylinder Head Porting
Greatly increase air flow through the cylinder head. You may need to compensate with more fuel, which means you'll need an aftermarket Air/Fuel Controller.
Except that the way our ECUs work only allows aftermarket A/F controllers to lean out the fuel mixture unless you step up to megasquirt.

Cylinder Head Porting

You should think of it in terms of air volume, not air flow. The cylinders can hold a finite amount of air, regardless of how fast it gets there. Cylinder head porting, intake manifold porting, intake manifold spacers, and CAI's/SRI's all help get cooler air into the cylinders faster. Regardless, the amount of air in each cylinder is about 0.5L.

The only way to increase the volume of air inside the cylinder is by mechanical means (a turbocharger or a supercharger) or chemicals means (nitrous oxide).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back