The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G to insulate or not to insulate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH91awd

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2011
chillicothe, Ohio
looking for some opinions on this one. i pulled the old headliner out of my car to get ready for the cage install (that and it looks like crap tbh) got all the old insulation out and was going to just paint the roof and leave it at that but got to thinking on putting some type of better insulation in ther i.e. dynamat, thermo-tec etc. car is street driven but not a daily driver but i do want to have comfort while driving. would it be beneficial to put in the aftermarket stuff or would it even make a difference to just leave it out?

Attachments

• roof.jpeg
    roof.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 129
I mean, I would put some type of insulation, especially since you said it would be driven on the street a bit.

The roof isn't huge so it won't be that expensive to cover.

My dam convertable is hot as hell (not a dsm, but) so I would say put something there to keep the sun from radiating heat into you. If you find something that is also aesthetically pleasing, thats a bonus!
It will also keep noise down, another bad trait of my 'vert.

I mean, I would put some type of insulation, especially since you said it would be driven on the street a bit.

The roof isn't huge so it won't be that expensive to cover.
i did find stuff we have here at work that wouldnt be too bad. just have to make sure the kit im looking at will be enough.
My dam convertable is hot as hell (not a dsm, but) so I would say put something there to keep the sun from radiating heat into you. If you find something that is also aesthetically pleasing, thats a bonus!
It will also keep noise down, another bad trait of my 'vert.

that was my thoughts but i was really unsure since it was such a small area. this is what im looking at through work just need to measure and make sure i get enough LOL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hell I'd say that is what I'd do. Kills sound and heat transfer. :thumb:
I didn't see how thick it is tho. ???
Don't want to crowd it.

I used dynamat like product on my roof when I had the headliner out. Not so much for noise but more so for the fact that sheet of metal is super flimsy.

Do you have rattles from the sheet metal with out insulation up there?
It looks to be sticky backed so it would work for any little noises too....like I can even hear the stereo over the turbo in mine LOL

It looks to be sticky backed so it would work for any little noises too....like I can even hear the stereo over the turbo in mine LOL

not that i can tell so far but i havent driven it like this LOL my car is surprisingly quiet for what exhaust i have on the car LOL i can hear my cooling fan over the exhaust.

House hold carpet padding is insulation and sound deadening, use 3m Spray glue, make sure the inside is real smooth to make sure it sticks. It super light and super cheap, heck most places will give you a free piece of scrap.

Lol not so much for rattles but more so because I was in there and it was super flexible. I thought why not toss a sheet on there to see if it would form up the panel for when I wet sand and buff it. Which it did it has hardly any flex now whereas before it flexed a lot so I have no doubt on the highway it will cut down on noise. Like I said it was while I was in there why not since I had some left over.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back