The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Tire Size Recommendation Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is what im looking for: Probably around a 235/45/17 tire if it allows me [I'm currently running 225/45/17 Stock 3rd gen wheels, looking to replace](but need to find a good tire as well)
Diameter: _____
Width: _____
Offset: _____

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
a) One inch or less
b) One to 1.5 inches - Getting the DGR Sport/Track Coilovers
c) 1.5 - 2 inches
d) More than 2 inches.

4. If suspension is lowered, (Looking for advice on this one)
a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.
b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.
c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative.

5. Rear fender flange rolling:
a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.
b) I will not roll the fenders.
c) Would rather not have to

6. My driving style is:
a) Street only, with no special performance requirements.
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads.
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.
e) Other: Will be Street, but a combination between feeling secure on twisty roads and possible road racing (the legal kind)

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.
b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.
c) Yes, but still a newb in regards to the handling and information pertaining to it

I understand this might be stretching the questionnaire a little more then intended, but I would much rather find the proper information prior to going on with my build and having to get something, just to replace it later on down the road with proper equipment :aha:

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
b) 2gb DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 18
Width: 8.5
Offset: 35

b)One to 1.5 inches. Maybe less depending on clearance.

4. If suspension is lowered,
b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.

b) I will not roll the fenders. Not now anyways.

6. My driving style is:
d) Street and light autocross.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:

8. Willing to use spacers?
a) No

I'm looking at 245/40/18 and 235/40-45/18 and Id like to know what's the widest I can fit without rubbing the knuckle. I know the 2gb awd rear knuckle is better but don't know how much.
If it matters suspension is koni yellows with 490f/390r
Also I'm looking at a set of dunlop run flats, so they might be a bit wider. Ill check into that

1. My car is a:
b) 2ga DSM

2. Currently running 245/45R16, but since I last bought tires that size seems to have gone from having huge amounts of choice to absolutely nothing (other than pure race tires). Don't want new wheels (16x7.5") and I don't see anything comparable by going narrower/wider/shorter. However, 245/50R16 IS an available size with lots of good choices. Question is, "will they fit with having nearly .5" larger radius?"

e) Other: Ride height is roughly .25-.5" higher than stock

4. If suspension is lowered
e) Other: No camber adjustment

6. My driving style is:
e) Other: Rally, Rallycross

Anyone able to recommend some winter tires for my 98 Eclipse GSX?
What I have on currently as a street tire are 235/40R18
I called JTS and they said they do not carry that size as a winter tire so I am unsure what to use.

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 15
Width: 8
Offset: I need help with this!

a) One inch or less

a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative

b) I will not roll the fenders (hopefully)

6. My driving style is:
e) Other (drag car that will see street use on weekends during the summer)

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do!

I would like to put a set of slicks on my car. I'm 99% sure I want the M&H 24.5x8.5x15. I would just like some input on what rims (offset) to use at the track. I am on stock 1gA (small) front brakes. I've put a 15" weld wheel (15x7) on the car and it clears the brakes, I'm looking for a wheel with less weight. Cost isn't much of a factor, but I'd like to stay under $400 a wheel.

***EDIT*** Obviously the slicks won't be on the car for street use, I have a wheel package sorted out for street duties, just need help with my wheel choice for the slicks)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. My car is a:
b) 2ga DSM

2. Currently running 245/45R16, but since I last bought tires that size seems to have gone from having huge amounts of choice to absolutely nothing (other than pure race tires). Don't want new wheels (16x7.5") and I don't see anything comparable by going narrower/wider/shorter. However, 245/50R16 IS an available size with lots of good choices. Question is, "will they fit with having nearly .5" larger radius?"

e) Other: Ride height is roughly .25-.5" higher than stock

4. If suspension is lowered
e) Other: No camber adjustment

6. My driving style is:
e) Other: Rally, Rallycross

Never got an answer, but had the car up in the air recently and was able to do some measuring. If my math is right, the 245/50R16 would be an inch total taller than stock. There's not a half inch of play between the stock tires and the upper arm. Doesn't *look* like it would work.

2GA with a 1.75 drop.. i have 225/40/18 with unknown offset.. I would like to get new rims 18x7.5 with a 35mm offset.. wanted 235/40/18 instead of 225/40/18 tires.. enough space for them to work?

Ok guys, I'm tired of searching after 1 week so I need some help please :)

1. My car is a:
1g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Rota Grid
Diameter: 16
Width: 7
Offset: 40

1.5 - 2 inches (Car's on stock suspension with lowering spring)

Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative. (Or what you suggest to fit those tires)

My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary. (Already got the tool to roll in stock)

6. My driving style is:
Street and Strip.

Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

I want to run some 245/50R16 and I wanted to know if they will clear the front stock suspension (no coil over kit here) or rear trailing arm with this offset. Will I need spacer ? Will I need to roll the fender ? Thanks guys :)

Putting 245s on a 7"-wide wheel is a crime.

:p Yeah I know that you don't really like that but that's my car and that's how I like my wheels. From what I see on a tire offset calculator I think this setup will give me the same back spacing as stock setup ... ?!

Here's how it look on a 2gen, don't see what's wrong with this setup except that it looks badass ... !?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And yes this is on 16x7 wheels, so do I need coilover with my 40mm offset ? Don't want to find out that the tires wont fit after paying for them so please answer my questions ;)

Here's how it look on a 2gen, don't see what's wrong with this setup except that it looks badass ... !?

What's wrong with it is that you're probably getting only two-thirds of the lateral grip of the same tire on the correct wheel.

Note: this is the wrong forum to play the "it looks badass" card in.

This is how 9 inch wheels X 235 width Advan (Yokohama) AD08 Neovas look:

Note the lack of any stretch. Every DSMer seems to have a thing for way too wide tires....

I could go wider, maybe, but at +29 offset, there's not a lot of places to go on the fender wells (rear wells need to be pulled pretty bad), might throw on bolt on fenders depending on my classification (Don't really want to be in a super production class). If anything, with the Neovas, I'd go narrower to a 225 maybe.

What's wrong with it is that you're probably getting only two-thirds of the lateral grip of the same tire on the correct wheel.

Note: this is the wrong forum to play the "it looks badass" card in.

Well from what I remember DSMTuners is the right place for me since I own 2 DSM ... :|

First you're no mod and doesn't help at all so please keep you opinion for yourself. I won't do what you like on my car, it's mine so my choice. Got the point ? :shhh:

This setup will be mostly use for track and no the Hoosier are not for this year so that's why I want to try a 245. Don't see what's so wrong with that, I only ask if it would clear. Not if you like or not ...

Guy are fitting the QTP 26x9.5x16 on a 16x7 wheels. Go tell them that it's wrong and that they should have go with a 16x8 since it weight much more ... sigh ...

I run a 245/40 on a 17" Evo 8 wheel with +38 offset on my 2ga. I have only a few millimeters clearance between the tire and knuckle. With your wheel being moved a few millimeters more inward, it doesn't sound like a good combo. Plus, consider the extra height from you running a 50 AR tire instead of a 40 AR. My guess is you'd need a pretty big spacer (maybe 5mm+), would need to roll the fenders, and may not be able to drop it more than 1-1.5".

I don't know how putting wide tires on a skinny wheel vs. one that's properly sized affects section width though.

Thanks Brian, here's your setup versus mine ...

Looks like I would have more clearance than you for the knuckle ;)

Where do you see that? I see you having 2mm less space to brakes/suspension (according to Clearance section at the bottom) and 24mm more height to deal with.

Yeah you're right. I didn't realize that the back spacing on those picture where only for the wheels without the tire ... Now after more calculation I think my wheels with the tire on will be 0.100" more on the inside of the wheel well than yours ... :hmm:

I don't know how putting wide tires on a skinny wheel vs. one that's properly sized affects section width though.

It greatly reduces it. In general, as a tire is wedged onto a smaller and smaller wheel, starting from the rim-width used for establishing the width of the tire, the tire's width is reduced at about half the rate as the wheel's width.

Quick question. If my tires are close but not hitting the upper control arm will they hit when the suspension travels or will it stay the same distance apart? I'm trying to measure how big of a tire I can go on my 95 GSX.

-Ben

I'd like to know how these different manufacturers figure out their tire sizes. My Falkens measured pretty much deadon at the sidewall indicated width of 225. My new goodyear eagle gt all seasons measure 235 at sidewall indicated width of 225. Because of that I stayed with 225s on my 17X8 OZ wheels. Why the big variation?
Funny jtmcinder that people don't have to listen to since you're not a mod. Even tho you a wiseman and definitively one of the authorities on suspension and handling for DSMs. Lordy. SMH.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back