The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tire Size Recommendation Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is: 18X8.5 +35 Offset

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered:
My current is around 2"... (Goldline Springs on stock shocks)
My future is 1.5" - 2"... (Tokico Illumina)

4. If suspension is lowered:
I'm not really sure where to adjust my camber to? I was hoping for suggestions...

5. Rear fender flange rolling:
b) I will not roll the fenders unless it is necessary

6. My driving style is:
Street only - mainly summer/spring/fall rims. I have stock 17's for my GSX for the winter.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices. I have read threads upon threads about this, but I find it very difficult to find information on +35 offset rims on a 2" drop. I am guessing they will fit, but it will be dangerously close to the outside fender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stock Rim - 17X6.5 +46 Offset
Stock tire - 215/50R17
Sidewall: 4.2 in
Radius: 12.7 in
Diameter: 25.5 in
Circumference: 80 in
Revs/mile: 792.0

New Rim - 18X8.5 +35 Offset
New tire - 245/40R18
Sidewall: 3.9 in
Radius: 12.9 in
Diameter: 25.7 in
Circumference: 80.8 in
Revs/mile: 784.0

Speedometer reading with new tires is 1% too slow. When my speedo reads 60MPH, I am actually traveling 60.6mph.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 18
Width: 8
Offset: 40

3. My current suspension height is lowered
Pro Kit / illumina adjustables
b) One to 1.5 inches?
c) 1.5 - 2 inches?

4. If suspension is lowered,
a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.?
b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative. ?
c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative. ?

a) I will roll the fenders if necessary.

6. My driving style is:
Street/Strip/autocross/roadrace

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

Just want to make sure I can fit 18x8 +40mm wheels on my 2G with 245 or 255/35/18's on my 95 GSX? It looks like I will need spacers on the back even if I have 2gb knuckles, is this correct? Is there any performance detriment when using spacers vs. using a smaller width tire with no spacers?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

so I got the 17s GSX stocks to use as my track wheels or racing wheels. since I have brembo's thats why I went with 17s.. I really wanted 245's but read 6.5 wide can only fit 235 same as what i have on my 19s. I was wondering if 50 would be too tall though?

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Evo 8 enkie wheels the 17s :D

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
Currently on tein s springs says they lower them 1.2 in the front and 1.6 in the rear

I dont really know

a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.
to a degree I will LOL

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip.

a) Yes

I wanna run a nice fat tire on my 90 I have seen a couple pics of 245/45s but I am not sure if they will rub with the car lowered like it is.
Thanks Sean

*edit* I know this isnt the best place to ask but I think it has stock struts can I get a few opinions on what to get once these blow?

Last edited:

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM ( 1997 Eclipse Gst

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 18"
Width: 7"
Offset: 40mm

b) One to 1.5 inches
(1.5 inches, Tokico set up)

a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads.

Basically I am looking for the best size tire I can get for a daily driver. I am in Boston so the streets aren't great and I know that riding around on 18's is already bad enough for ride quality. I was wondering the widest tire I can run on this ( or which ones would simply give me the most comfortable ride). I searched but it was difficult to find a 18x7 rim size. Thanks guys for your help.

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM ( 1997 Eclipse Gst

2. My wheel size is:
Width: 7"
Offset: 40mm

b) One to 1.5 inches
(1.5 inches, Tokico set up)

6. My driving style is:

Basically I am looking for the best size tire I can get for a daily driver. I am in Boston so the streets aren't great and I know that riding around on 18's is already bad enough for ride quality. I was wondering the widest tire I can run on this ( or which ones would simply give me the most comfortable ride). I searched but it was difficult to find a 18x7 rim size. Thanks guys for your help.

18x7 is somewhat of an unfortunate wheel size and width. Run no wider than a 225 tire on a 7" wide wheel. For that wheel diameter, a 225/40-18 tire will almosst perfectly match stock tire diameter and keep the speedometer accurate. Ride quality is not something easily had on 18" wheels with a 40 sidewall profile, though. If you're really concerned with it, avoid tires with very stiff sidewalls. Kumho MX are great tires that have slightly softer sidewalls compared to other makes in the same performance category. BFGoodrich GForce KDW and GForce Sport are also good tires without overly stiff sidewalls. However, all the above mentioned tires are still considered "high performance", and will have a rougher ride than your average passenger tire, but are a good compromise from a back-breaker sidewall tire like an Advan or Azenis.

Thanks alot for your help. So you think there is no way to run 235's on a 7 inch wide rim? Thanks for clearing up the whole sidewall thing too.

Can't we just replace 7b with 245/40/17 on 17x8 +40 and call it a day? ;)

- Jtoby

I noticed this comment and got a little confused. From everything I've searched and read, a 245 will rub on a car lowered ~1.5"? So I guess I'll fill out the form and try and get some opinions.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
17x8 +40

c) 1.5 - 2 inches

b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.

b) I will not roll the fenders.

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.

Basically I'm picking up some 17x8 +40 rims this summer and am trying to figure out what size tire to throw on. I currently have a 225/40/18 on an 18x8.5 +40 rim. I think they are too small in both width and height, but not as bad in height. I'm wanting to run a 235-245/40-45/17 on these rims, but am not wanting to rub at all. They'll be all season tires because it is my only car. Give me some opinions on what you think would be best.

1. My car is a:
2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Width: 8.5"
Offset: 35mm

Stock, and will not be lowered.

N/A

I do not want to roll fenders.

6. My driving style is:
Street and Autocross.

Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

I would really like to fit 245/40/18's. I didn't really find a whole lot of info on these tires with this offset and width of wheel.
As I said, my car is not lowered and it never will be, it sits close enough to the ground as it is. I just want a wider wheel with some meat to the tire and a polished lip for style.
The wheels I want to get are the Stern ST-5 style. I found a set locally that have a 20mm offset but I don't see any hope of ever getting that to fit.
Also another question, would the 245/40/18's stick out of the wheel wells and fenders?
Thanks in advance!

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
stock talon snowflakes

somewhere between these
c) 1.5 - 2 inches
d) More than 2 inches.

camber will stay the same

I will not roll the fenders.

d) Street and Autocross.

I am wanting to go with motegi 18x8 inch rims with a 45mm offset. Will these work well and lower the car. Basically i am wanting to drop the car on coilovers and make it look aggressive. I dont want to roll my fenders and dont want any kind of rubbing. Would i be better off going with the same rims but 17x7 with a 40mm offset?

Tire Size Recommendation Request

Please copy this form and answer the questions when you request tire size recommendations:

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM fwd

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17
Width: 7
Offset: 5.63in

b) One to 1.5 inches

4. If suspension is lowered

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip.

looking to get some hankook ventus v12 225/45/17 i would like to get the widest tire with the most side wall without rubbing
thank you in advance.

looking to get some hankook ventus v12 225/45/17 i would like to get the widest tire with the most side wall without rubbing
thank you in advance.

I've got 235/45/17 on my car and they work great! No rubbing so far, and great traction. I've yet to make them lose grip. ((Not that I drive hard enough to do it often.))

1. My car is a:
b) 1gb Eclipse GS-T

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17"
Width: 8.5"
Offset: 38mm

3. My current suspension height is factory. Plan on moving to coilovers when money allows.

6. My driving style is:
c) Street and Strip.

What's the normal width of tire for a 8.5" wheel? I don't want a stretched tire, so I'm thinking 235-45-17s would be fine, but would 235's fit under a stock suspension with a +38mm offset wheel? Or what's the biggest size I can fit under this car? I do plan on moving to coilovers in a few months.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17
Width: 9
Offset: 45

b) One to 1.5 inches

ummmm WTF?

6. My driving style is:
d) Street and Autocross.

whats the rec. tire size? would 235/45~50/17 work? from what im reading on this chart (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/fre...tions/286685-will-these-wheels-tires-fit.html) if i run 45 i will have no rubbing? will spacers help me clear inner clearance?

So this question is a little different than the others on this thread. I know enough about engines to keep my vehicles going, but am still learning when it comes to tires and wheels so please bear with me.

I'm finally getting the Laser together for my DD, but am now considering racing it instead (there's no chance the Mazda's going to work this winter:sosad:).

I'm curious, what are the absolute smallest wheels that fit on a 1G combined with tires that are still wide enough to provide adequate traction in the dirt?

While I agree a nice set of 17 or 18s looks nothing short of diabolical, I'm going for the over sized tire look here.

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
I have the stock 16 inch meshie wheels with 205/55 stock size tires

I'm actually looking into raising the car .5 inch

N/A

6. My driving style is:
d) Street and Autocross (the track is all dirt w/some gravel, snow and ice in the winter though)

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

Last edited:
You can get any rim size in any width pretty much. There are guys on Vdubs with 15x10.5. Shit is crazy. But for a 1G, i would stick to nothing smaller than 16's. Are you looking to raise it 1/2 inch higher that stock? Are you trying to put this car threw the mud or something? I think 17's on a lowered 1g look perfect. If i were to get either or, go with at least a 7 inch wide. So like a 225 45 17 would be a nice choice with plenty of options for tires.

I don't foresee anything as big as 15x10 fitting on a 1G, not without quite a bit of modification. I think it would look great though.
The guy I'm working with to try and raise the car above stock height knows his stuff when it comes to Fords and LS1s but has no experience with DSMs, so it's a bit of trial and error.

And no, I don't foresee mud or huge puddles, unless it rains really hard. If I can find the track on googlemaps, I'll post a picture. Just picture a dirt circuit with some extra turns. It's not hardcore stuff, I think everyone's on a budget.
I know bigger wheels tend to up the price, and there's no point in getting anything pretty- it gets ruined pretty easily LOL.
My dad ran a Ford Festiva with a B8 motor in it and took it into a berm hard enough to completely bend the front right axle and crush the CV joints. Needless to say, the tire and wheel were done. No injuries to the driver though:applause:.

So I was thinking some ugly steel wheels at maybe 14 or 15" with a width of 235. I haven't really seen anyone else with a similar setup, so I was looking for a little advice before I tried anything.

So I'm thinking about 245/45 on all four. Yes, I've read that staggered setup is not recommended for AWD but I got a sweet deal on the wheels and I'm prepared to find out for myself. I was going to stretch the tires (like a 225 or 235) but I'm going for performance and handling and that didn't fit. What do you recommend?

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Two of the wheels are 17x8
The other two are 17x9

Tein flex type, so I'm not sure yet until I get the tires/wheels mounted

I'm prepared to camber the hell out of it if necessary

a) My fenders are rolled

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads. I'll go to the strip but I'm building the car to just be a street machine.

Im trying too fit 245/40/ tires on my 1g dsm
1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM
b)

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter:17
Width: 8
Offset: 35

a)
b) One to 1.5 inches
c)
d)

c)

b)

6. My driving style is:
a)
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.
e) Other

b)

17x8 +45 enkei rpf1 on 245/45/17

Will these fit my 2g gs-t with either Megan racing or tein ss

Yes I have searched and this is the tire size that people seem to say that they fit. Just looking for more opinions on the offset

Thank you

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 17 or 18
Width: 7 or 8
Offset: 38 or 35

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered, currently not lowered, but plan a small drop at some point, pending tire size
a) One inch or less
b) One to 1.5 inches

4. If suspension is lowered, not yet but soon.

6. My driving style is:

d) Street and Autocross.

I checked the will these wheels fit thread and the chart. I want to run somewhere around 235/4018 or hoping to run 245/40/18 maybe 245/45/17

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back