The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tire Size Recommendation Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIRE SIZE RECOMMENDATION REQUEST FORM
1. My car is a:
b) 1g DSM (Not sure if FWD makes a difference..but it's FWD)

2. My wheel size is 16x7 inch on an unknown Chinese rim:
Tire is now a 205/50r16...but I want to go as tall as I reasonably can for hypermiling.

I can throw stock 1g Talon swirlies on if this gets too complicated.

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered...
Currently Megan Racing Springs on KYB GR-2s.
c & d) 1.9 inches rear 2 inches front.

I might also put stock AWD springs in to raise the car up. If so, what would the tallest tires that I could put on be? Would like answers for both if possible.

4. If suspension is lowered,
a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.
b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.
c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative.
Unsure

5. Rear fender flange rolling:
No.

6. My driving style: Daily commuter. Brief sprints if traffic allows.

Thank you for this.

so what size tires i should put on 235/45/17? l know the back is fine i was worry about the front. if you gurus say it will fit with minimial rubbing its fine i just don't ### to put 215 as edgeracing suggested. know any good cheap tire places from where i can buy them at.
You can check tire sizes by car: Jaunas Riepas

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 16
Width: 6
Offset: ET46

3. My current or future suspension height will NOT be lowered

(NO)

b) I will not roll the fenders.

6. My driving style is:
a) Street only, with no special performance requirements.

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:
a) Yes, but I just need someone with experience to validate my choices.

I am currently looking into replacing my Good Year Eagle RS-A 205/50R16 mounted on 1997 5-spoke Mitsu 6Jx16 ET46 (MR333791) rims with wider tires, i.e. 225/50R16 size.

The architecture of Eagle RS-A tire is such that its wall profile appears to be lower/thinner than a regular 205/50 tire, let's say Predator Radial GTS 205/50R16, due to the concave vs flat tire wall. I am also aware there is a trade off between handling and ride quality where mounting a wider tire on narrower rim will improve ride quality at the expense of handling. I am prepared to make that trade.

The discussion I would like to have here is with respect to the final shape of the 225/50 tire once it is mounted on the 6" rim:

a) does 'squeezing' the wider tire on thinner rims make the tire walls bulge out sideways (evenly, not just where the tire meets pavement and is compressed by the weight of the car); thus, reduce the overall diameter; thus, affect the rolling height; thus, make the tire visually appear with thinner walls, let's say like 225/45 (this is the effect I am looking for and is the reason for this post)

b) does 'squeezing' the wider tire on thinner rims make the tire walls straighten up; thus, increase the overall diameter; thus, affect the rolling height; thus, make the tire visually appear with thicker walls, let's say like 225/55, something I dont want.

c) it depends on the tire's construction and it's unknowable until it is installed and inflated; thus, too late to take the tire back/return.

btw, I am not concerned about the actual rolling height and how it affects the spedometer accuracy, just the visual effect.

Last edited:

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM

2. My current wheel size is:
Diameter: 16
Width: 6
Offset: ET46

3. My current or future suspension height will NOT be lowered

(NO)

6. My driving style is:

7. I have searched for and read the FAQ's, Tech Articles, and threads on wheel and tire fitment:

I am currently looking into these rims with tires already on them:
rims: 17x7 JJ SK 48
tire: Cooper Zeon RS3-A 245/45x17

Is there going to be a problem putting these rims w/ 245/45x17 tires on 1g stock setup? The reason I am asking is a post on calculating the distance from the knuckle:
FAQ - More Knuckle Clearance Detail

Based on those calculations, I should be jsut about touching the knuckle, but not necessarily.
From Zeon RS3-A specs here:
https://tinyurl.com/y7zul68h

we establish the tread width (209) and radius (327) and from the link on knuckle clearance, we calculate the coordinate x(13) and y(11) and plot it on the chart which gives us 2mm clearance, however, after adjusting 2mm for the 48 offset vs 46 baseline offset we move the point in space (13,11) by two units to the right and end up exactly on the surface of the knuckle, which is at (15,11). And that brings me to my previous post #253, where I deliberate the construction of tires and which way the bulge - sideways or out?
Can anybody chime in on this issue?

Last edited:
I want to put a 245/45ZR16 Proxes R888R on a 16x7.5 wheel with either a 38 or 35mm offset. Will it work?
This calculator says it will fit( better with a 38mm):

This calculator also says it will "likely" fit.

This set up will probably fit, but the tires might be a bit wide for the rims. LMK

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 16"
Width:7.5"
Offset: 35 or 38

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
a) One inch or less (Tein H techs)

4. If suspension is lowered n/a

a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.

6. My driving style is:

d) Street and Autocross.

Thanks

Please answer the following questions when requesting tire size recommendations.

1. My car is a:
a) 1g DSM AWD
b) 2g DSM

2. My wheel size is:
Diameter: 15
Width: 205
Offset: stock 1g

3. My current or future suspension height will be lowered
a) One inch or less - stock suspension / height
b) One to 1.5 inches
c) 1.5 - 2 inches
d) More than 2 inches.

a) Rear camber will be adjusted to less than 1° negative.
b) Rear camber will be adjusted to within 1° to 1.5° negative.
c) Rear camber will be more than 1.5° negative.

a) My fenders are rolled or will be if necessary.

6. My driving style is:
b) Street only, but I like to feel secure on twisty roads.
c) Street and Strip.
d) Street and Autocross.
e) Other

b) No, I just want someone to tell me what to do.

I have a 1G AWD i've already ordered a set of 17X8 Enkei TS5 +40 and am looking to stuff what ever tire will fit on stock suspension / height with no rolling.
will a 235/45/17 fit? no wheel poking out preferred.
thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back