The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschylde777

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2009
houston, Texas
So I have a 6 bolt swap. I have a blacktop so the signal is inverted. I also swapped the wires at the ecm. When I replaced the cas, i put all of the marks on point. So here is my question. If I set TDC to factory #1 cylinder. Yet because I swapped wires, is it still #1? Which call do I use to set base timing?

Lets start over

What ecu is it
What cam angle sensor is in the head

It all depends on what ecu you are running. It is also programmable in the ecu to invert the signal so you dont have to cut wires

If it is a 97+ cam angle sensor with a 95 eprom ecu with dsm link both 4 and 1 come off of the second coil.

You would need to go into link and select invert cam sensor

Last edited:
Lets start over

What ecu is it
What cam angle sensor is in the head

It all depends on what ecu you are running. It is also programmable in the ecu to invert the signal so you dont have to cut wires

If it is a 97+ cam angle sensor with a 95 eprom ecu with dsm link both 4 and 1 come off of the second coil.

You would need to go into link and select invert cam sensor
Hello, thanks for the response. It's an ecmlink v3. A blacktop cam angle sensor. And yes I've inverted the signal and I've swapped wires. She starts just fine. I just don't know which coil to put the timing light on. Do I use the new number one coil or the original number one. Or is it still number one because it is now a true number one..... Lol. Confusing

Do you have adjustable cam gears, that is the only reason you would need to set and check timing with a timing light on the harmonic balancer and engine cover.

Black top is not a term used with the dsm's. There is a black box ecu that came on 98-99 cars which had a cam sensor placed on the passengers side of the valve cover. The 95/96 cars had the cam sensor behind the cam gears. If you had dsm link then you have a 95/96 ecu that needs to see an inverted cam signal to read the different cam sensor

Yes. The one closest to the timing belt. And use the cam gears to set it only if the gun is adjustable. If not then you have to go by the crank pulley.
It is adjustable

Do you have adjustable cam gears, that is the only reason you would need to set and check timing with a timing light on the harmonic balancer and engine cover.

Black top is not a term used with the dsm's. There is a black box ecu that came on 98-99 cars which had a cam sensor placed on the passengers side of the valve cover. The 95/96 cars had the cam sensor behind the cam gears. If you had dsm link then you have a 95/96 ecu that needs to see an inverted cam signal to read the different cam sensor
I have a 6bolt head. And I have heard it reffered to as a black top. But yes I have inverted the signal.

Oh and yes the cam gears are adjustable

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back