The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Timing cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primestick

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2010
AccountKiller, Alaska
Dose any one know if any company makes a clear timing cover for the 420a or a mod to make the 4g63 one work ?

Not that I know of, on both counts.

Making one for the 420A is more difficult than for the 4G63 because the whole cover would have to be made of clear polycarbonate. The 4G63 timing belt cover has a small top section that can just be made of the clear material.

have you tried emailing zaklee corp and asking if they would consider it? i mean there are plenty of people who would get one correct???

whats the matter you keep a dirty engine ?

haha, I personally think it would look kool, and besides you spent the $200.00 or better on adjustable timing gears might as well be able to look at em.

have you tried emailing zaklee corp and asking if they would consider it? i mean there are plenty of people who would get one correct???

They would be the only aftermarket/new timing covers I have ever seen spent a month looking for a new one on my car. Dealer is dis, and they only have 2 left in California (thats out of the whole us) according to the local dealer here in GA.

Last edited:
I emailed the company about possibly making a clear timing cover for the 420a. They said there is not enough interest in the product. If anyone else is interested I would be glad to make a list and petition the maker for the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed the company about possibly making a clear timing cover for the 420a. They said there is not enough interest in the product. If anyone else is interested I would be glad to make a list and petition the maker for the product.

I know a lot of people prefer to cut the top of their guard off or just remove the top section. I myself have considered this action because the chances of something flying in there and screwing up the timing enough to ruin your pistons and valves is pretty small. Plus you would be able to check the condition of your timing belt without all the work. Hard to say if the want would be there to get a clear cover but good luck anyways :thumb:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kool is a cigarette brand, if you want to misspell things you have to say "kewl".

As for contributing to the topic, I don't think a clear timing belt cover would look right on the 420a unless the whole thing was redone, but I don't know, may be something I would be interested in if it was under $20...

As for seeing your aftermarket cam gears, you could always run without the timing belt cover, or just as shake zulla, I have cutouts for my cam gears, they were done by the people who tuned in my cam gears, looks really professional, I'll get a pic uploaded sometime.

not sure how old this post is, but I would totally buy a clear timing cover for my 420a. The whole thing being clear would be awesome:hellyeah:. On another note, I had no idea u could drive ## car without the timing cover on, or did I misread that?? :confused: anyways u could add me to that petition:thumb:

not sure how old this post is, but I would totally buy a clear timing cover for my 420a. The whole thing being clear would be awesome:hellyeah:. On another note, I had no idea u could drive ## car without the timing cover on, or did I misread that?? :confused: anyways u could add me to that petition:thumb:

A lot of people prefer to leave the bottom section intact, however the upper section is optional with a little modification. More then anything I believe it is a saftey issue.

that would be kool whole thing clear.

Ohhhh 6 months later and this still makes me laugh.

I can personally vouce and always tell people to always use at least the bottom cover. I ran my new motor without a cover while I was still working on her and trying to find one in good shape. I was driving, had the alternator belt get ripped, shred and run itself through my timing belt. Lost all my intake valves.

I have always had my cut at the top for adjustments, just above the front mount. Never had any issues with it like that. It's hit or miss. But ALWAYS run at least the bottom. So much debris on the road... so many problems.

We have checked into having clear covers made from Zacklee Corp, however they said all the money invested wouldnt be enough to make a profit for them so thats why you will not see them come out with a cover. Would be nice to see a nice 2 piece cover with removable clear top section, at least thats what we wanted them to make. Maybe someday :)

We have checked into having clear covers made from Zacklee Corp, however they said all the money invested wouldnt be enough to make a profit for them so thats why you will not see them come out with a cover. Would be nice to see a nice 2 piece cover with removable clear top section, at least thats what we wanted them to make. Maybe someday :)

Thats what I was looking for, I dont like running with the possability of a Free rock costing me hundreds in repairs.

Last edited:
So you can run the 420a without the upper portion of the timing cover. Beside another belt jumping into the timing belt. Ay other draw backs from not using the upper cover?

No. The only issue with not running a cover would be debris getting in there and chewing up the belt or causing you to jump time.

Chain driven engines need the covers because they run oil to the timing chain.

No. The only issue with not running a cover would be debris getting in there and chewing up the belt or causing you to jump time.

Chain driven engines need the covers because they run oil to the timing chain.

Well I wouldnt imagine any debris making its way to the top of the motor and onto the timing belt, or inbetween the belt and the gear... but then again I dont know that isnt a possibility either. With the lower cover on theres protection.

What about the power steering and AC belts? They dont have covers

Well I wouldnt imagine any debris making its way to the top of the motor and onto the timing belt, or inbetween the belt and the gear... but then again I dont know that isnt a possibility either. With the lower cover on theres protection.

Think about it, you are driving down the road, there are all kinds of small items on the road that could easily make their way into the engine bay. One small rock in the timing cover and you can kiss your head and possibly bottom end goodbye. The reason that the other belts don't have covers is because when they break or come off it doesn't destroy the engine.

LOL this is funny. ROFL

Think about it, you are driving down the road, there are all kinds of small items on the road that could easily make their way into the engine bay. One small rock in the timing cover and you can kiss your head and possibly bottom end goodbye. The reason that the other belts don't have covers is because when they break or come off it doesn't destroy the engine.

Sweet mother of God... your right...:ohdamn:

Problably would be best to leave the cover on. I would like to play with some adjustable cam gears though :rolleyes: or get some nice blue ones and show em off

ALWAYS run with atleast the bottom, whats the harm?unless you cant find one.. you paid thousands on your engine (probably.. like most of us..) if you want to see those gorgeous gears just chop the top...

if p/s or ac belt goes, you dont scrap your head...:ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back