The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Timing belt cam noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipto98

Proven Member
Sep 7, 2014
lodi, California
I having some strange noise coming from my timing belt sounds more towards the exhaust side. Doesn't quiet down when warmed up and I've put about 1000 miles on the belt . It's a Evo Kevlar belt on real hks cam gears. Pulleys and tensioners are all oem brand new I included a video
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I did check them they seemed fine I did think the tbelt was tight Il have it checked to make sure

What method did you use to tension the belt? Sounds like its to tight, I had a friend do the same things and made the similar noise! This is why I recommend all dsm/4g63 owners to get the jayracing timing tool kit, or make yourself! :) If you can't put the grenade pin back in easily than your adjustment isn't right.

I have both timing belt tools but I didn't do my timing a guy who degreed my cams did

There's a little bit of flex bit it probably too tight is there any other symptoms of a over tightened t belt

It would be harder to spin by hand at the crank. And if you've ever done a timing job you kinda get the feel when they are to tight or to loose. Rotate till all the timing marks line up and you are tdc. Then check the belt and see how tight or loose it is. This is one of the best points to see how it is. You might also want to verify your hydro adjuster is set properly. And get a look at the tens pulleys location. Since you have the tools should be a breeze to reset or atleast check!

¿Este problema tuvo solución? Estoy pasando el mismo ruido en mi gst 1998, lo unico que hice fue cambiar el sensor del cigueñal y despues de armar empezo el ruido.
Quité la polea del cigüeñal y aún sigue el ruido. Es como si dos superficies se rozaran en el momento en que gira la banda del tiempo.

Did this problem have a solution? I'm having the same noise in my 1998 gst, the only thing I did was change the crankshaft sensor and after assembling the noise started.
I removed the crankshaft pulley and the noise is still there. It is as if two surfaces rub against each other at the moment the band of time turns.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back