The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Tial wastegate help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95Dsm22

Proven Member
Nov 3, 2015
La Puente, California
I just got a tial 44mvr I'm running it with my old school fp green. The wastegate has two water and Air ports the turbo isn't water cooled so I need help on what to block off and I'm also running of wastegate pressure no MBC. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• 14697465628702085197135.jpg
    14697465628702085197135.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 146974658230429101615.jpg
    146974658230429101615.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 282
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Tial includes the plugs to block the water ports off if not in use. You'll want to leave the top air port open to atmosphere (the one on the top of the waste gate where is says Tial), The lower port you want to run to boost only source (the compressor cover for example), DO NOT run a vacuum line to it T'd off the BOV, or any other line that runs to the intake manifold. Hope this helps..

In the photo, you want to use only the compressor cover to lower part of the Tial waste gate. Ignore the T and to BCS and top of the Perrin setup..
OK they only supplied the ports to block of air and gave me fittings for the water , is there anything else I can use for the boost source if not I have to tap one in cause I don't have it on the housing ? So I need to block off one air port and both water and have the other air port connected to a boost source right

That's odd. My MV-R came with fittings to block off the water ports (and the -3AN water fittings), as well as the standard crush washer air barbs. They wouldn't have any reason to supply plugs to block off the air ports (maybe that's where the confusion is?). You CAN use the intake manifold, but Tial's own testing has shown to significantly shorten the life of the diaphram in the wastegate when vacuum is introduced. If you have the ability (or access to someone who does), to remove the compressor cover from the turbo, and drill and tap a 3/16" barb fitting into the compressor cover (near the outlet, where the couple to your lower intercooler pipe would be), that would be the BEST solution. If not (or for temp. use) you can run off the intake manifold. Another option is to have a barb tapped into your lower (or upper) intercooler pipe for the wastegate..

2 things to keep in mind:

Whatever spring combination you put into the MV-R will be the LOWEST boost setting. If you want to run HIGHER boost, you'll need to add a boost controller, or install higher pressure springs (spring combination)

2nd, IF you add a manual boost controller (like a Hallman PRO), you would simply T into the vacuum line going to from boost source to the lower wastegate inlet. The top wastegate air fitting is only used in the case of an electronic boost controller.

Ok I was planning on having it running today , but since I have the mani and turbo off I might as well take it to a shop so they can do it . I also noticed the PO had the vaccum line from the bov t'd to the intake manifold and wg . So now do I block of the line from the intake mani or where would that be connected to ? then have the line from the bov t'd to the wg ? BTW thanks for the help .

The line from intake manifold goes directly to the bov. No tee. Then after you add nipple to your compressor cover you go straight from there to lower port on wastegate. No tee
I'm gonna add it to the uicp tomorrow so I'll see how it turns out . Hopefully all goes well thanks for the help guys

Possibly. The best option is to get a barb the same material as your pipe and have it welded on. If not then drill and tap a hole. I would recommend using teflon tape or some kind of thread sealant if you go that route. Make sure to boost leak test after your done

I will also add to have the barb the same material as it's being fitted too. Unless you really really trust tapping (and hoping it'll stay). A boost leak and loss of signal to the wastegate would be very very easy if you simply (drill / tap) a threaded barb like you pictured into an UICP.

2 things to keep in mind:
Whatever spring combination you put into the MV-R will be the LOWEST boost setting. If you want to run HIGHER boost, you'll need to add a boost controller, or install higher pressure springs (springcombination
2nd, IF you add a manual boost controller(like a Hallman PRO), you would simply T into the vacuum line going to from boost source to the lower wastegate inlet. The top wastegate air fitting is only used inthe case of an electronic boost controller
ok I got everything connected I have two fittings onto the water ports I have one air plugged and one connected to to icp. There is also a vaccum hose from bov t'd to the intake manifold and it was connected to the old wastegate .

Attachments

• 1470011037147773769868.jpg
    1470011037147773769868.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 189
In your picture it it doesn't look like you have a vacuum line connected to the wastegate. I just want to be sure you have it hooked up correctly.. There should be NO air fittings blocked off..

In your picture it it doesn't look like you have a vacuum line connected to the wastegate. I just want to be sure you have it hooked up correctly.. There should be NO air fittings blocked off..
OK I have one blocked
In your picture it it doesn't look like you have a vacuum line
connected to the wastegate. I just want to be sure you have it hooked up correctly.. There should be NO air fittings blocked off..
ok I have the boost source connected to one air . Which vaccum line should be connected to the other ?

You want ALL the WATER passages blocked (if not blocked, at least not connected)
The top AIR open (nothing connected)
The bottom AIR ran to your ICP
Your BOV ran straight to your INTAKE MANIFOLD, NO T's

Check out this video for more help..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You want ALL the WATER passages blocked (if not blocked, at least not connected)
The top AIR open (nothing connected)
The bottom AIR ran to your ICP
Your BOV ran straight to your INTAKE MANIFOLD, NO T's

Check out this video for more
This video helped thanks a lot I have it
setup right . I appreciate it guys thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back