The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

thinking of buy a built talon awd.. worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted475

Probationary Member
Oct 20, 2009
san francisco, California
hey guys I'm going to check out a 1995 Talon TSi AWD tomorrow. Just wondering if it's worth picking up. Also I've heard of reliability issues with DSM cars, do I need to worry about that as much with the motor built stronger? here is the ad:

"hi im selling my 1995 talon tsi.it is awd (all wheel drive) and five(5) speed manual.(car is the same as a eclipse gsx)car has 121k orig. on odometer so is on body. motor and tranny 3200k miles since built.car was built back in MAY 2004.car is rarly almost never driven ...weekends only

car was professionaly built down south at road race engineering speed shop down in san diego.NO expense was spared.it dosnt not have a 7-bolt 4g63t motor it has a jdm 6-bolt block and head 4g63t.car has dsmlink ecu flash eprom.

im asking $5500 firm im in a bind and need cash fast.......... my big loss your big gain.real dsm lovers know what rre is and how much $$$ can be spent.contact me for more info

here is a list of the work done to the car at rre as is on the purchase order receipt word for word

description unit price

VALVE TRAIN PARTS

crower spring and retainer 350.00

s/s swirl polished 1mm oversized valves 240.00

hks cams 280 exh/280 intake 550.00

ENGINE BEARINGS

clevite connecting rod bearings 60.00

clevite main bearings 80.00

OIL PUMP

new oem oil pump 1g with case gears and castle plug 175.00

balance shaft removal kit 50.00

GASKETS

mitsu factory head gasket 95.00

factory gasket set 210.00

ENGINE REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION 600.00

TURBO

turbo water hose 20.00

exh. nuts and washers,set 18.00

exh. studs ,set 22.00

modify 2g motor mount 15.00

modify 2g motor mount bracket plate 5.00

modify 2g timing belt cover 10.00

oem jdm mitsu tdo5h big 16g evo 111/3 turbocharger 1100.00

port and polish of turbocharger 150.00

wastegate delete 100.00

tial 38mm f38 wastegate 320.00

tial red and blue springs 60.00

punishment Elbow Outlet 38mm Pipe for wastegate 80.00

turbo Stainless Oil Feed lines kit 100.00

greddy type-s blow off valve (bov) 200.00

ENGINE MISCELLANEOUS PARTS

2g 95-97 cam angle sensor(w/wiring harness) 250.00

set of spark plugs(ngk b7es(4)) 40.00

CORE CHARGES

used short block 500.00

HEAD WORK

555 reurface head,grind valve seats,3 angle valve job 350.00

silicone bronze valve guide set(8 intake,8 exhaust) 80.00

labor:grind valve seats for oversixed valves 100.00

stage2 port and polish head: match port,

clean around valve seats,and smooth ports. 400.00

fuel injector o-rings:upper and lower 14.00

TIMIN BELT PARTS

timing belt 67.00

timing belt hydraulic tensioner 1g 80.00

timing belt tensioner pulley 25.00

timing belt idler pulley 36.00

6-bolt water cooled filter housing new 80.00

water pump 1g 100.00

thermostat 1g 12.00

PERFORMANCE ENGINE PARTS

wiseco pistons 450.00

eagle rods 400.00

arp main studs 55.00

arp head stud kit 90.00

injen cold air intake 200.00

1g stock intake manifold 150.00

EXHAUST

apexi down pipe 3" 200.00

apexi 3" exhaust n1 400.00

2g stock exhaust manifold n/a

PERFORMANCE LABOR

balance complete assembly,blue print 200.00

deck resurface and reinforce 95.00

LABOR(DEPENDING ON CONDITION OF CORE)

strip to long block and re-assemble 300.00

build long block, clean, strip gaskets,

hone cylinders, check clearances, and assemble

6-bolt long block. 700.00

bore cylinders 0.20"(0.50mm)or 0.40"(1mm)oversize 150.00

polish crankshaft 80.00

line bore block 120.00

FUEL SYSTEM

walbro 250 200.00

jdm evo8(560cc) pink tops injectors 600.00

CLUTCH/TRANSMISION

shepracing.com stage3 Transmission 1975.00

bg syncro shift (3) 29.00

centerforce clutch 450.00

fidanza aluminum flywheel 380.00

LUBRICANTS

anti freeze 11.00

break in engine oil 15.00

k&n oil filter 6.00

total:$14,000.00

kelly blue book on car is $3700
$14,000,thats not including the car yet.. just mods!have ALL papers...once again im only asking $5000.00 frim on price for everything!
NO low balling car and mods together are $17,700 so $5000 is a steal
car runs 12.3's to 11.9's in 1/4mile as of now.with a bigger turbo like 50 trim could run 10's 9's.engine was built to withstand 35psi of boost

spec's on tranny

New 1-2 Fork New 3-4 Fork New Shep Trans Spec 2nd Gear New 1-2 Hub/Sleeve kit with Double Synchro Rings New 1-2-3-4- 5-R Synchro Springs New 5th Gear Synchro Rings New Input, Output, and both Drive Shaft Seals New Input Shaft Bearings New Intermediate Gear Bearings New Roll Pins New End Nuts New Center Diff Side Shims New Nylon Shifter Pad Shims for setting preload Upgraded Torrington Bearing Bead Blasted Case 4 Spider Center Differential Heavy Duty 3-4 Conversion Transmission filter upgrade Upgraded Rare Earth Magnet EVO III first gear and input shaft"

17,000!!!!!! That is a big lie(or he got poked in the you know what). Me personally i would go check it out, if its built by RRE then it must be a clean job, and remember it should be clean but check for everything, look for the obvious, and the not so obvious. Speculate everything, even the smallest leaks can mean something, take a compression tester with you, and take some tools. Check the compression(check for the number to be all around the same), and make sure the plugs are all the same color and that there NOT damp, or smell like fuel. Check all hoses, look for expansion, flimsiness, and of course leaks. Check the oil, cold and hot, if its a thick oil he is probably trying to hide some motor defects, like worn bearings. Leave the car idling for a while, and make sure it does not idle weird, or overheat. Take off the intake and check for play on the compressor and make sure its clean(not stupid clean but clean), look under the car look for scrapes, oil residues, hanging wires, and things that just seem weird. Make sure the car is set up in the correct manner, like the bov, make sure its recirculated(i didnt read the whole description so i dont know exactly how its setup). Make him let you drive it, if not it means something is wrong, and when you drive it, drive it like vin diesel, make multiple pulls, multiple launches too and check for smoke under boost(a little black is ok but white and blue are bad, even if its a little). Drive it around in circles, to check for imperfections in the suspension. Check all wiring, and make sure its done RIGHT. If its got link, make sure he has a forum password and such. Check interior pieces and make sure they are all on there right, not loose with different bolts and barely attached. Sometimes you can get a good modded car, but only sometimes, i got a modded car, the one i am building, and when i bought there was something weird about it, and a month later i spun a bearing. Watch out for everything, and in fact this goes for a modded and a stock car. If there is something wrong, TELL HIM and adjust the price for everything. Good luck.

BTW, i have hard time seeing that car run low 12s/high 11's(its possible but i dont believe it), he has 560 injectors LOL and just to let you know dsms DO NOT have reliabiliy issues, its just that througout the years dsms have gone through many owners and of those are ricers. They do not maintain them, and like all other cars they break, and after that they call themselves crankwalk victims.

HAHAHAHA he added his antifreeze in as an expense. I wonder if hes kept all his gas reciepts too.....

I just find it comical he spent all that money on motor work just to slap a 16g on there. While RRE is a very reputable shop, I'd pass on this one, some things don't add up as already mentioned.

Um, on second thought, run away from that car.

Something like that...I can't stand the "no heat shields mod" LOL.

Seriously, who would spend that kind of money and run no heat shields?

I wonder if it really has what it says, I mean I have some doubts.

When buying a DSM, you need someone honest, especially with a turbo that originally had a 7 bolt.

Will the owner of this car please step forward?

Dude, forget that car. Let it go, if the guy's already CLEARLY a liar, there's no telling what else he could be lying to you about. In fact, I'm more than willing to bet he doesnt have HALF the shit that he says he does in that motor. Trust us on this one, dont just ask us for advice and when we give you some turn around and say "eff those guys they dont know what they're talkin about". So many people do that when they come here and they end up getting screwed cause they dont believe us or want to listen to us. There's lots of completely STOCK dsms out there waiting to be grabbed up by someone for a decent amount of money.

"Tis better to know first hand what's been done to ye's car, than not to and be stranded by ye's highway."
-George Washington

^^ I totally didnt just make that up. He said it!

No, I'll your guys' word for it. That's why I asked here in the first place. Thanks everyone.

Anyone have a car for sale? LOL

He probably had a big turbo on it and ran it at the track most of the 3200 miles, Then slapped the 16g on when he decided to sell it. That much of a built motor with a small turbo and miles is SUCH a waste of $$ it isnt funny.

go test drive it and if anything is wrong dont get it, even if u think o i can fix this little shit dont get it!!!!! ive done that and kicked my self in the ass. if u sense any dishonesty get outa there cause if he lies about one thing who knows what else is wrong hes not telling u! buyer be the #### aware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why you even thought about purchasing a dsm. you'll wake up one morning thinking everything is going to be sweet with your car. well you were also thinking you purchased a reliable car.
well you'd turn the key to start it up and BOOOMMMM your motor would jump out and all the kittens and little fuzzy animals that were once running your car would jump out and say " thank you sonic for freeing up for doctor robotnic." you may think it's weird now. but itll soon one day happen with a Dsm. Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance Baby!!!! even if it is already moded like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back