The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Thermostat location -(no, found it)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lngbrdr

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2005
melbourne, Florida
I need to replace my thermostat but I forgot my repair manual back at my dorms, so where is the thermostat located? Any help is greatly appreciated.

look at your radiator, follow the top hose to the water neck, Undo the top 2 bolts and then lift up. Ahhh, there she is, pop her out, lay new gasket down. Drive away happy.

Grab the upper radiator hose and follow it from the radiator back to the engine. When you get to the end of the hose, you are at the thermostat housing. Open that up and there it is.

Undid the top two bolts like on the pics but there is no thermostat there and the thermostat would be too big to fit there.

Attachments

• DSC02434.JPG
    DSC02434.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,050
  • DSC02435.JPG
    DSC02435.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,425
  • DSC02436.JPG
    DSC02436.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,795
Right on the side of where the top radiater hose goes to looks like it would be big enough to house the thermostat, so is that where it is?

Attachments

• DSC02437.JPG
    DSC02437.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,024
And when I bought the thermostat from autozone it didnt come with any kind of gasket do I really need one?

Okay figured it out the dang thing is on the side like on the last pic. And finally the dang thig works like it is supposed to instead of just staying at the middle and then in extreme cases jumping all the way up to hot.

You might wanna get a new gasket.... there's another one (besides that rubber one) that is more diamond shaped.. it'd be all hard and crusty peeling off...

The thermostat should be in the location pictured in post #8. If it is not there, it has been removed which is a band-aid fix for cooling problems. Throw one in and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

Yes just unbolt the 2 bolts on the side and it "should" be there(make sure you drain your coolant first). Just make sure you replace the seal and use a little bit of rtv sealant on the mating surface on the cap just to get a better seal and cleap up any old gasket sealer if there is any.

I would recommend that you get the OEM thermostat as well. If you compare the parts store thermostat to the OEM one you see how much superior the OEM one is :thumb:

Great. I broke the bolt when trying to tightening it! Hate it when a simple job gets complicating.
Thanks for the help folks, I'll put a new thermo on there after I tap and die the broken bolt!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back