The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

The Purple Monster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut old shaft off

Weld new shaft on.

:D

haha I have no clue what they do to it.

Yeah sucks... Oh well. Cutting the front off today. It still runs so as long as the engine mounting locations are not bent then it will be easy to fix.

1004567_10151760843471522_1096520509_n.jpg

Right rear kicked out tagged the wall and sent me sliding passanger door first down the track. At about 110mph..

I was in the right lane and hit the wall on the left side. Not exactly sure what happened.

Wow! Happened just like that huh? Do you run a welded center diff by chance? I think that contributes to the thing wanting to break free and turn sideways real quick down track on high hp cars like yours.:idontknow:

Welded center, open front, lsd rear.

I figured I planned on tubing the front and my car figured well #### it he needs motivation to do it!

No spray. Happend mid gear. This was on street tires. Boost was around 20psi.

Yep, that's what I thought.:| With the center diff welded and the short wheelbase these things have it can make for some instant sideways action if it breaks traction. The open center diff allows it to be more forgiving at the moment it loses traction, helping the car to stay straight IMHO.

Sorry to hear about the incident. I'm glad you were able to walk away from it unhurt.

It is hard to find much if any motivation especially after you just got done putting that thing together. Good luck on the restoration and hope you will find the motivation and continue working on it.:|

I Noticed in your most recent pics your still running the oem waterpump...
Did you decide not to fill the block?

Awesome build! Enjoyed following your progress, sucks about the front end but now you can TUBE it out!

I Noticed in your most recent pics your still running the oem waterpump...
Did you decide not to fill the block?

Awesome build! Enjoyed following your progress, sucks about the front end but now you can TUBE it out!

Yes I filled the block but set it up so I can still use the OEM pump :)

Ok quick update. I've posted most of this on facebook and talk.

1116040_10151855168541522_1576417696_o.jpg

994228_10200673323807909_1485649595_n.jpg

10 lbs per side:

487922_10151855195411522_398397058_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I know she's not the prettiest. She may not be built like everyone else builds their cars and does their tubes. The welds may not be the best most perfect robot looking things. She might not be all purple...

But she is still the Purple Monster and it will be at the shootout ready to hurt some feelings!

1097971_10151861853156522_1427401891_n.jpg

535791_10151861837811522_203468157_n.jpg

554943_10151861996546522_1826517941_n.jpg

Saturday night this happened....

Boosted INC: The Purple Monster 2013 Dyno - YouTube

See everyone at the shootout!

Nice! You don't have to be pretty to go fast you know. ;) Glad to hear you will be making the trip to the Shootout. I look forward to seeing you. :cool:

Well it broke 1st gear at the shootout. Got it fixed made one more pass and it shot a brush out of the Weldon fuel pump.

I bought an auto setup the day it broke..Haha

After the last pass I went down to kigglys tent and bam! I'm officially sponsored by kiggly racing!!

I think that was the most exciting part of the whole event.

After the shootout I headed to Altoona pa to hang out with friends and family. Last night was the cars last time down the track as a 5spd.

I got in a total 3 passes in the 4 1/2 hours the track was open. The place was ran horribly. They track prepped on foot with mops and vht.

1st pass was a shake down. 11.1@143 taking it easy

2nd pass it spun hard out of the hole let off to shift in 2nd, had to let off some to get in 3rd which was weird because it has dogs on 3/4 still. Went fishing and reeled in a big tire car. 6.5@112 1/8. And 9.9@150 1/4

3rd pass dropped tire pressure way down, launched sideways brought it back and then the 1/2 shift fork broke heading to 3rd gear.

Those of you who were at the shootout know how badass it is that this transmission worked! It was a junk 1/2 gear stack that we assembled using my trailer , adjustable wrench, and gear puller as a press.

Have to thank my Wife and friends who have been helping me out and busting their asses to make this thing move.

And big thanks to the shops who continue to stand behind me!

Force-Fed performance
Sparktech Ignitions
Tirado custom coatings
Kiggly Racing

And the entire Boosted INC crew! Which is not a shop no matter how much buschur bitches that a banner makes it a shop.

Not sure if you can see these links or if they work.

972369_10151908268626522_1949037320_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=639458392753552

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202111051564260

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqPL6Z_5Ag&sns=fb]Boosted INC: The Purple Monster's Last 5speed passes - YouTube[/ame]

Next time out will be in the auto!

Alright let me bring this thing up to speed.

I switched this thing over to an auto a couple years back. I didn't get much time to work things out before receiving orders for recruiting duty. While I was out on recruiting duty I hit the track one time in 3 years.

Recently I pulled it out of the weeds washed it off and started messing with it again. Each time out it has been faster and faster. Started running around a consistent 9.8, then 9.5 - 9.4 and it finally dropped into the 9.1s. I'm on the quest for running an 8. I've fixed a bunch of small issues making and have been working at the tune / launch.

Hoping for an 8 at the shootout! I'll up post recent pictures when I get a chance.

Let's see if I can get some pictures going in here! I've had the headlight covers off of the car for probably close to 7 years now. I decided to make a change! I made some quick tabs out of aluminium riveted them to the hood and then attached them to the covers. Then covered the seam with black gorilla tape and finished it off with some carbon fiber vinyl. curious to see what kind of MPH it picks up!
OO7X2dMYrF_nrbdCX355ri5GGMkk1eeUpCWm5KhzltnWbcgqA4327m1sdPazcXOiD5rJij0M-&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

_BFL4jmhLStIIgcW3H0mWb2j10CPM0TJCO7z0xIdEZPzTIXfVJvO-8DWJVifyG7p1X2FkC3Na&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

QrQd-QcjSQZo7LgdpLUFvLTtLddjP6lyWJjT54Kxf_6tMIAz1Ct1-MFr-PGcEBnJ6n0vdlyXX&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back