The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

The 14b Drag Race Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice...those times are just about where I want to be by the end of next season. Minus the cams and fmic the mods are pretty close to the same, and I have a great trans and hopefully will have a great tune with Link :D

BTW love the color of the 1g as well, blue/silver 90 1ga's ftw!

Wow! This thread is AWESOME! Thanks to Nate C. For the heads up.

I will respond more to some of this when I'm on a real computer, not a phone.

But I'd like to say I'm SUPER surprised no one has beat my record yet. My car has been in my garage stripped for 3 years. Anyone wanna come help me put it together?

But I'd like to say I'm SUPER surprised no one has beat my record yet. My car has been in my garage stripped for 3 years. Anyone wanna come help me put it together?

Joe Bucci is back in the 14b game, SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Joe! Was wondering if/when you'd make it up here for some talk. You're really surprised? I'm not. Well, considering I've only been to the track 5 times in the last 5 years, I'm not surprised that I haven't run quicker. Although I made leaps and bounds this year.

I still think your record off the bottle is pretty safe, but that's me. I've read alot up here and heard guys talk about the combo's they are going to run. Their goal is to "smash" your record, but they haven't laid one pass down the 1320 yet. So, while reading up here makes it sound as if it's possible, I'm not so sure yet.

While you are up here, can you post your 1/8 ET on the 10.84 please? I guessed at 6.97 as your 10.87 slip shows 6.99.

Awesome to see you up here in the mix!

Phil Beers

ps--If you're still in Florida, I'd love to roll down and help you put the car together, it's too damn cold up here!

Here is my old 14b car. RIP!. Ran consistant low 12s and was my DD for 3 years.
Car weight was about 2900 with me in it. Setup was
ported 7cm housing
2g mani ported
3 inch exhaust
2.5 o2 dump
2g mas
stock injectors
non turbo fpr
rewired wally 255
web cams
stock motor
street tires
22 psi
ebay fmic
2.5 pipes.
AFC
All on crap tune and beat 2nd gear. Then upgraded to built trans, drag radials, 550s and then i blew the motor gave up and went to a 50 trim setup.

Went a best of 12.22 and best MPH of 112.89.:D About 5 years ago.

Only have some 12.3 and 12.4 timeslips.

I remember these pics....awesome car!

Anyone wanna come help me put it together?

Hmm, I'll be down in florida for about a week in February or march :rocks:

As Phil said, alot of people talk about what they want to do. Look at me for examply I've been wanting to do this for over 4 years and I have 3 passes at the drag strip under my belt in all that time, 3 cars have gone through my hands! Talk is cheap, I'll still talk about what I want to do, just as these people do, but until you're out there doing it, nothing matters.

Hopefully we'll all get out there and hit our goals, but I won't be surprised if over 50% never make it out there.

Picked up a mint 14b today, $100. Check out the uncracked 6cm housing! hahaha crazy.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other night about this. I'm planning a s374 but we thought it would be fun to try out a 14b and see what we can make it do.

My car is sitting right at 2900 with me in it and a cage. So I'm not sure about the power/weight ratio. I guess we will see what happens.

With the 14b, it's all about weight and traction. There is only so much power you can make with a 14b without doing crazy stuff, which ends up making it the great equalizer.

I'm gunning for you dude!:thumb: Good to hear from you, and Im sure everyone on this thread would love to hear your input on what you think will work, what can be improved, ect. That is unless your planning to come back out and play and don't want to help the competition :sneaky:

Last edited:
I was talking to a buddy of mine the other night about this. I'm planning a s374 but we thought it would be fun to try out a 14b and see what we can make it do.

My car is sitting right at 2900 with me in it and a cage. So I'm not sure about the power/weight ratio. I guess we will see what happens.

That should be light enough for some good times. My car was around 2850 with me in it when I first broke into 11's. If the rest of the car is working right you should get into mid 12's at least.

Honestly, it's fun hitting 12's on the stock turbo. I always get someone who's walking the lanes and checking out cars. The first thing they want to know is how big is your turbo. They're always suprised to hear that it's the stock turbo, especially if they drive a modded STi or EVO that's still running 13's, or a modded Honda running 15's. That's when they really feel good about their choice of car. NOT! LOL

That should be light enough for some good times. My car was around 2850 with me in it when I first broke into 11's. If the rest of the car is working right you should get into mid 12's at least.

Honestly, it's fun hitting 12's on the stock turbo. I always get someone who's walking the lanes and checking out cars. The first thing they want to know is how big is your turbo. They're always suprised to hear that it's the stock turbo, especially if they drive a modded STi or EVO that's still running 13's, or a modded Honda running 15's. That's when they really feel good about their choice of car. NOT! LOL

I get that ever time I race at the track. They ask, "What did your car run?" I say, "Mid 12s" They come back, "What turbo you got on there?" "Stock."
Them = WTF:hmm::barf::cry::banghead:

Any news from anywhere? (I know this is typically a dead time of year for racecar activity.)

I'v got the engine mostly out of my Galant VR4, which is getting a new metal HG, a welded trans mount ear, and then going into my 1g awd. The GVR4 is going back together with a different stock longblock with stock cams and intake. I still think it will be a high 11 second car on pumpgas/street tires.

Planning to pick up the 1g this coming saturday the 16th and will have new pictures and such after it's home and in my shop. I really can't wait to have that car back! 2010 is going to be fun. First thing to do is go over the stuff that's there, start making a list of needed items, then get started on 2005 vinyl removal. Going to SUCK!

I'm making good progress. I replaced the headgasket and head. It turns out that it was pushing coolant because one headstud was crushing the aluminum head next to an oil drain passage. the head was too thin in that area. I had a closer look and it seems that turbo DSM heads are thicker and stronger than 4g61 heads ( or 1.6/1.8 heads) where the headstuds clamp down.

While I was in there I removed the Cometic HG and got a Mitsu MLS. I got a good deal on a 2G head and EVO 3 intake manifold, which is nicely made with short tapered runners.

I picked up a set of new Kiggly Beehive valvesprings. Awesome valvesprings! The quality is incredible- shot peened stress relieved surface finish, ovate wire, superlight compact titanium retainers, and the beehive shape prevents valve float and bounce while keeping a mild seat pressure, so my cam journals stay fresh and smooth. Me like!

I also picked up a set of Kelford 272 cams, did some mild portwork and combustion chamber smoothing on the head, got a set of Supertech black nitrided valves, and the machine shop shaved a little extra off the head surface to keep the compression high.

Oh, and I got an ebay aluminum radiator with a built in oil cooler. It's meant for an auto trans car, but I hooked up the engine oil cooler lines to the trans cooler nipple and removed my external air-oil cooler. It saved a few pounds, improved cooling, and let me block off one duct which improves aerodynamics slighly.

Last edited:
Nice, I haven't gotten quite so fancy haha. But the engine rebuild is under way. Got most of the parts ordered just have to get the block out for machining once the pistons and HG come in. Going with 2g pistons on 1g rods, the extra compression should be welcome'd openly. Other then that the plans stay the same, gotta get link tuned once the motor's back in and see how much fun we can have.

Alright guys since i plan on running the car next season i post up my build, i dont know if its a good idea to do it now or not... I would hate to try and get this record and fail horribly.

The car:
1991 Eagle Talon, 126,200 Miles on the chassis
Car is completly gutted, absolutly no luxery
Current weight is 2600 with a lot more to come out.
DSMLink v3
Megan Racing Lowering springs (2" drop)

Engine Mods:
CP 9:1 Pistons
Eagle Rods
No Balance Shafts
No A/C
No P/S
Comp Cams 264/272
2g Head
2g Intake Manifold
2g Exhaust Manifold
7cm Exhaust Housing
Stock Side Mount
Dejon Upper Intercooler Pipe
25+ Psi on E85
1000cc+ Injector
2 Walrbo 255 Pumps or 1 Supra Pump

Trans:
TRE Stage 2.5
SBR 3500
ACT Streetlite Flywheel

Future Mods:
Alumnium Rod
Lexan Rear Window
15x6 Rota Slip Streams
Nice Sticky Tire
CF Driveshaft

Im sure i left so stuff out so ill edit it as things come to me.

Last edited:
Car is completly gutted, absolutly no luxery........................

Current weight is 2600 with a lot more to come out.

:hmm: What else are you taking out?

Also I think you should ditch the sidemount, even though you should be cool enough with e85 the sidemount flow isn't very good, just look at how small the in/out pipes are.

So simple yet holds the record!? WOW Very impressive.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: What else are you taking out?

Also I think you should ditch the sidemount, even though you should be cool enough with e85 the sidemount flow isn't very good, just look at how small the in/out pipes are.

Front Bumper, Light Seats, Carbon Fiber Hood, Lexan Window, Fuel cell. I may not even run a intercooler.

Front Bumper, Light Seats, Carbon Fiber Hood, Lexan Window, Fuel cell. I may not even run a intercooler.

I'd make a few changes to your mod list. The CF driveshaft is expensive and has a low benefit. Instead I'd use the money to upgrade from the 2G intake manifold and stock IC. A good fmic will cool better and have less pressure drop. If you can find a good smim that matches the 2G head, get it. They're rare.

I'd make a few changes to your mod list. The CF driveshaft is expensive and has a low benefit. Instead I'd use the money to upgrade from the 2G intake manifold and stock IC. A good fmic will cool better and have less pressure drop. If you can find a good smim that matches the 2G head, get it. They're rare.

And those Rota's & "nice sticky tires" should also be moved up on top of any engine/drivetrain modification. Traction is the most important thing, a set of drag slicks can take .200 off your 60' time, up to a half second off your ET.

Do that NOW, sell something in the engine to pay for it.

And those Rota's & "nice sticky tires" should also be moved up on top of any engine/drivetrain modification. Traction is the most important thing, a set of drag slicks can take .200 off your 60' time, up to a half second off your ET.

Do that NOW, sell something in the engine to pay for it.

Right :thumb:

That's where I'm at when it comes to the next round of mods, do I get a wideband and injectors for E-85? Or do I get some good tire? It's tougher for me being that a wideband and injectors would make the car more fun on the street, where sticky rubber would be track only. :aha:

I planned on running a evo 3 intake

About the intercooler im not sure what im going to do, my car runs very very cool so i may not even run an intercooler. At the moment i daily drive the car with no fans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back