The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Test pipe on stock exhaust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howsmydr1v1ngLOL

Probationary Member
May 19, 2014
Bonnyville, AB_Canada
Will a test pipe on a stock exhaust with a ractive muffler bring anything negative to the car?? don't want to put it on if its going to create more back pressure or anything of the sort..

It can only help with spool and performance. It definitely won't create more back pressure with a test pipe. You may get CEL though without the converter on there, so you can do this. http://vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

Another way is to just zip-tie the post cat o2 sensor out of the way in clean air. As long as it doesn't see dirty exhaust (like without a cat) it won't throw the CEL.

edit*** I just saw the 1993 Talon in your signature. I was originally looking at the avatar pic and saw a 2g, so that's why I said what I did about the o2 sensor. If this is on a 1g forget all that. There is no downstream o2 sensor, so it doesn't care if you have a test pipe. Put it on and forget about it. :hellyeah:

Last edited:
Indeed it is for a 1g, so larger diameter piping(test pipe) on stock piping just opens the flow up with zero problems?? sounds like its better to have a 1g over a 2g, good thing I have both :cool:

If you can maintain the same diameter you'll improve flow. Going from a smaller to larger cross section causes the gasses to slow down and cool and then it narrows back down again you get restriction.

Got a test pipe laying around and its a direct fit but diameter is larger than stock and as you said, it would create restriction. Before upgrading the exhaust system, I'm better off either keeping the stock cat on or gutting it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back