The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

temp gauge stays cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst_clipse

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 3, 2010
Jeffersonville, Indiana
my temp gauge in my cluster only goes up the slightest bit and i have no idea what it is thats causing it to do this. the car is warmed up and everything..could it be thermostat or something else? any help is appreciated..

If not low coolant, pull the 1 wire connector off the temp sender (on thermostat housing) and short it to ground. The dash temp gauge should pin to hot and stay there while key is on. If it does, the sender is bad or it's connection is bad. If not, the wiring or the dash gauge itself is bad.

If you wish to test the sender it should read 104 ohms (+/- 13.5) at 158F. [This is true for both 1g and 2g's.]

luv2rallye your reply makes mine look so amateur, I hate you.

But I can't stress enough that even if you THINK you filled it right, make sure you're actually doing it right. This happened not even a month ago, new member posted a heater issue and absolutely was sure he filled his cooling system right, until I told him how to do it.

Its either the sender, the wire, the dash gauge or the thermostat is stuck open. Check what was said above me by grounding the wire. The thermostat can be checked by dropping it in hot water but if it's stuck open you should notice it right away :D

If the gauge never moved then I would have to say it was the gauge/wires/ or the sensor.

I just picked up a '95 Talon a couple days ago, and my temp gauge is reading a bit screwy. The car seems to reach proper operating temps and the heater does blow hot air, so I'm pretty sure I can rule out a stuck open thermostat. So, it's probably either the temp sensor or the gauge cluster. I plan to test the temp sensor this weekend, but meanwhile, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this same problem specifically.

The first pic is when the engine is cold.
The second is at full operating temperature. It never reads higher than this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the gauge is stayin in the same place and the car is blowin hot air from the vents its most likely the gauge if the car was blowin cold air i would lean towards the thermostat

Just follow what luv2rallye said, check ohms and try grounding it. Otherwise it could be the gauge itself and not the wiring.

Update; I replaced the little 1-wire brass sending unit, and my temp gauge now has a full range of motion again. This was the first time I've ever had one fail, so I surprised to see that it still partially functioned, instead of dieing completely.

I never thought of that either but maybe my sending unit is bad too because my guage never goes up past that point when warm like your second picture, but when I look at my laptop It reads around 200. Or could it be my gauge? It never seems to read even close to hot.

I never thought of that either but maybe my sending unit is bad too because my guage never goes up past that point when warm like your second picture, but when I look at my laptop It reads around 200. Or could it be my gauge? It never seems to read even close to hot.
Your laptop reads the temp sending unit that the ECU uses (2 wire) which is different than the one the dash gauge uses (1 wire).

So i am having the same problem only its worse ,..:banghead:when you've replaced everything.

Thermostat
Radiator
radiator cap
Temp coolant sensor ( High input )
Coolant temp switch/gauge
Fresh coolant
New hoses
No leaks
Still has check engine light for the following....

P0118 coolant temp circuit (high input )
Doesn't overheat ..anymore. at least that's what the gauge says . but That happened after i replaced the coolant temp sensor/switch aka (the single wire ) on the gauge .but stays cold like in the picture maybe it will raise to normal every then go back down

Ac and heater all deleted

Fml

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back