The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Temp gauge rises but ecmlink shows normal temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimerPLus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2011
Tokyo, Asia
So today I was cruising to my brothers and noticed my temp gauge higher than normal. I took it out of gear and it immediately dropped to normal. I put back in gear and the needle was bouncing up and I drove it just taking it out of gear when it got high.
I replaced the thermostat, checked the fan fuses all in good condition. I used ECMLink to activate fans they both came on. Radiator is full of coolant.

So I took it for a drive and used ecmlink to capture temps. I found out that it is reading about 190-200 even with the needle going high. Here is a video.

Any thoughts as to why my needle is doing this?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dash temp gauge uses the 1 wire sensor while ECU uses the 2 wire sensor. Perhaps your 2 wire sensor is bad. Also the coolant system must be full with no bubbles (ie. burped) or you'll get erratic readings.

Last edited:
Well I was burping the system seems good and filled. I noticed my needle is now bouncing down instead of up. So I checked the sensor and it spins.I can spin the part that the connector connects to on the sensor. Would that cause my issues for the gauge going up and going down?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back