The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tell Tale Signs that Piston Rings are Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neghsmoke

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2004
Olney, Illinois
I've already got the head off and am unable to do a leakdown test, so are there any tell tale signs that the piston rings are or could be going bad?

Was the car smoking when it was running?

If you already have it torn apart, just replace them, it's worth the extra cash.

I've got the head off already. I'm only starting to get into internal engine work, so i'm not sure exactly what the process for replacing rings is. Does the block need to be bored or honed? I really didn't want to pull the engine entirely from this car.

Also, the car was never running. It had about 30psi in each cylinder (give or take 10-20PSI) cranked fine but of course it wouldn't start.

I've got the head at a machine shop right now to see if it's warped and get it resurfaced (if it's not warped) Hopefully he will check the valves while he's at it.

It might be worth just replacing them now. If I was rebuilding a dead engine thatb I didnt know the history behine, Id definitely check out those rings.

So the rings can be replaced without doing any machining work on the block?

neghsmoke said:
So the rings can be replaced without doing any machining work on the block?
It depends.

The bores have to be measured. If they are too far out of round, you'll have to overbore them and get new rings and pistons to fit the larger bore.

If they're not out of round, you can just rehone the cylinders and slap on a new set of rings.

The cylinder bores must be rehoned to put a crosshatch pattern on the walls. If this step is skipped, your engine will smoke like a chimney until the rings seat, assuming that they ever do.

I don't have the time or knowledge to remove the entire block, strip it, and take it to a machine shop right now. I'd rather just install a remanufcatured head and hope I can get it running reliably with low boost.

Despite what some of these people might suggest to you, you *SHOULD NOT* remove the pistons from the block and just replace the rings. If you pull the pistons your going to have to at least remove the crank and all the bearings associated with that, so you might as well replace all the crank bearings, but new ones cannot be fitted without precise measurement by a machine shop (plastigauge in my opinion does not cut it). Also, as mentioned above, you don't know how worn down your cylinder walls are, so the size of the new rings cannot be determined (usually) without taking the block to a machine shop. I am assuming you do not have the cash for a REAL rebuild, so your best bet is to slap everything back together like you were planning on doing and do a compression test (and hope everything is OK). If it isn't ok, then you just wasted a whole lot a time (and maybe some money on the gaskets) instead of a whole lot of money wasted on a improper rebuild (an improper rebuild defined as replacing JUST the rings).

what I did. i bought the piston rings from mopar. and replaced the rod bearings. and everything is fine. you dont have to remove the engine. just remove the crank. the rods. and pull the pistons from the top. the bearings have the size marked on them. just go buy the same size bearings and put them on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back