The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

TEIN or JIC Magic on 1G AWD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dont_blink

Probationary Member
Sep 1, 2007
Morgantown, West_Virginia
I am having a hard time with this one for the suspension on my Talon. I have settled down to doing a full coil-over system of which there are two very good choices. If they were the same price or at least close the JIC Magic would get the pick hands down. Both systems offer camber adjustable upper pillow mounts.

The JIC Magic FLT-TAR set up has several obvious advantages over the TEINs. You can adjust spring pre-load and height independently. It has 15 way compression and 15 way rebound dampening adjustibility. It also uses a monotube design which is more conistently viscous through prolonged use. Linear springs and the rates are pretty close to what I expect to run with 450s in the front and 393 in the rear. I'm shooting for 350 in the front and 450 in the rear. I can get the fronts revalved FOR FREE from JIC to accomodate the loss of 100 lbs/inch, but I won't have to touch the rears. Plus the JICs look prettier :).

The TEIN SuperStreet is an inherently inferior piece. Your pre-load also ajusts your ride height like many cheaper coil-overs. 16 way compression and rebound is a plus. But again, more isn't always better. It uses a twin tube damper which usually offers a better response but fades in a prolonged use application where it's in constant flux. Still linear springs but a little stiffer than hoped for (Remember Japan has MUCH nicer roads haha) at 504s in the front and 393s in the rear. I again would have to get the fronts revalved but TEIN charges $100 per damper for that. The only real advantage, besides price, to the TEIN system is that you can use their EDFC on this system to adjust damping on the fly. But I don't think I would ever use that and the controller is $200.

My hang up is that I can't touch the JICs new for less than $1700 and I can get the TEINs for about $800 cheaper than that being a TEIN dealer. Throw in the $200 to revalve the fronts and it's still $600 cheaper. Throw in the $200 for the EDFC and it's still $400 cheaper.

Is the $600 price difference worth buying the JICs? Or are the TEINS going to be enough on the rocky, rough roads of WV. I'm worried about high speed expansion joints or the lovely potholed filled roads of the area heating up the twin tube designed TEINs and having not such a consistent damping force after a few hours of driving.

I don't have the ability to post this in the suspension section or I would.

Megan Racing. They are basically the same as JIC....they work very well. TPG Tuning uses them fior their record breaking pump gas car, and they were on the current no nitrous 16g record breaking car. They rock, and they are CHEAP!:thumb:

Megan Coilovers

Joe

I'l second you on that one. But the tein systems are very very nice you definitly get what you pay for.

I, um, not to knock anybody or anything...but this car needs to do more than go in a straight line LOL. It will actually turn a few times at beaver run and possibly VIR and in charleston at riverside. plus I have a 1G.

Anybody have thoughts on the D2 system?

I second the Teins. Yes, the JIC's are extremely nice, but if you're going to have them revalved, why pay more money to begin with? I have the Tein Flex system with EDFC and I am extremely happy with it. I was unsure when purchasing them whether I wanted the EDFC or not, but I'm happy I got it. With all the crappy roads in PA, I like to be able to put it on the softest setting when cruising on the highway, but then put it on the hardest setting other times. You can definitely tell a difference in the settings. They (accompanied with RM sway bars) make the car a lot of fun to drive! Plus, for the coilovers, EDFC, and revalving, it's cheaper for the Tein's.

They make Megan Racing coilovers for the 1G. It is a quality suspension for almost half the JICs. If your cars main duty is a DD or street car, that sees some track time, your best bet will be with the Megan Racing.

I have read that the JICs prefer to be driven on nice flat ground(track) and they really give a punishment on the street. Though I have no experience with JIC, this seems to be the general consensus.

The car is a garage queen that will see like 3 or 4 days a month on the street and maybe one track day a month. I want good, solid, high speed control, that is not going to change. I don't want the TEINs mainly for the fact that the twin tubes tend to heat up to the point where they are not consistently damped. I've had this feeling before, I don't want it again.

I, um, not to knock anybody or anything...but this car needs to do more than go in a straight line LOL. It will actually turn a few times at beaver run and possibly VIR and in charleston at riverside. plus I have a 1G.

Anybody have thoughts on the D2 system?

Well the Megans i can tell you for a fact, from personal experience ride GREAT on the street amd would do very well on a road course. In fact they rode better than my AGX's with H&R springs.

Joe

I must be really old school but for 1 track day a month why not just get a set of GC coilovers, a set of Koni's, 400lbs front and 350lbs rear springs , some negative camber all around and a rear sway bar and you'll be all set for the track. If money isn't that big of an option just get the JIC's from RRE. Nobody on the planet has more road racing experience with a 1G then those guys (Archer excluded).

I also question why you want to go with 350 front and 450 rear sping rates? If you are going around a track fast enough to need JIC's you're going to need more than 350lbs in the front to keep you from unloading the rears under hard braking. I also think with a stiff rear spring rate you're going to be inducing oversteer and you run the risk of being so stiff that you'll end up with a car that oversteers when the road gets ruff.

Honestly, if you are pushing the car to the point that you can tell the differnece between the Tein's and the JIC then you're ready for a dedicated track car.

It was expressed to me from RRE that Mueller himself ran this combo on a red 1G and white 2G for many years and did some serious track numers while at it.

It was expressed to me from RRE that Mueller himself ran this combo on a red 1G and white 2G for many years and did some serious track numers while at it.

Seeing how this is in the "newbie" forum I'm going to stick my 2 cents in. First, you have to keep in mind that a race car is a race car and has nothing to do with a street car you drive at the track. Second, I doubt the spring rates for a 1G car are going to be the same for a 2G car. Third, Mueller is a race car driver who drove gutted DSM race cars.

You do not want to set your car up like a gutted race car and to the same specs that Mueller uses. You are not Mueller and the way you are talking about setting your car up is going to be dangerous to both you and the other people on the track.

If you set your car up to be neutral to slight understeer and you make a mistake on the track your car will push but it will be easy to recover. In the worst case you will go off track in a strait line and hit something with the front of the car.

If you set your car up to oversteer and you make a mistake on the track your car will go off the track A$$ first. In the worst case you will go off tail first, hit the wall, and then bounce strait back onto the track where you can get t-boned by another car on track. I've seen a couple of cars after this has happened at the Glen and its not pretty. I've seen dozens of tire tracks where cars go off one way and end up on the other side. It happens and when it does you have ZERO control of what the cars going to do.

The last thing you want to do is ball up your garage queen car because you tried to do what Mueller does. He is a rare breed of driver and a lot of pro drivers can't do what he does. Set your car up to be neutral and go have fun. Trust me the suspension is the least of your problems. If you plan on going to the track a lot you're going to have to spend some cash on brakes and figure out how to keep the car from overheating. Put your money there first. You could go the GC/Koni route for $900 and have money left over for a Baer track kit.

I apologize for the rant and more power to you if you go down that road and end up with a JIC suspension. Just keep in mind that if your budget is tight now imagine how tight its going to be if you end up in the wall.

Already have the StopTech brake kit and Enkei Tarmac wheels to fit them under. Cooling has been adressed by a huge ass vent in the hood, Koyo radiator, and two 12" custom mounted FAL fans that give the turbo manifold a close shave LOL.

Thatnk's for your advice, it is well taken. I'm not much for track driving and I just heard these cars plow the front end like crazy. I'm looking for a set up that if I happen to get crazy and go to the real track a few times...I actually have a competitive car. If I like it, I'll go deeper. Right now I'm considering the D2s for less than $900 brand new. They don't seem to be too bad.

I have megans and I do not like the spring rates that come with them and i am not sure they could be Re-valved to use a softer rate spring or what it would cost. The locking collars come lose frequently and they are super rough on rough mountain roads. If you are looking for quality for spirited driving, auto x, or more comfort go with the JIC's I have a friend that has them on his car and our cars are night and day difference. I am dropping my megans and picking up JIC, hotbits, or DMS quick.

The JIC's that are being talked about are no longer available. They are developing a new set though. They may even be out by now.

This is the emailed response I received from them when I was inquiring in the beginning of the year.

"Old Generation which is made in Japan JIC Magic FLT TAR/A2, A1, SF-1 has been discontinued. We will have new generation kit which will make in USA from this after September. If you interested new products let us know. I will put your name on waiting list. We have planned to give introduce price this time. Expect special custom order items.your VR4 is special order but I can still give some discount for preorder.

New product name is JIC Suspension ZMS series. Not more TAR, CC2 kit
All new generation are 100% new technology. We can service and supply any parts in house and supply and tuning and rebuild.
Mono tube damper come with 48mm piston, all inverted mono tube come with 42mm piston.

JIC ZMS-S 1way single mono tube (30 rebound adjustable) $1600~$2000-

JIC ZMS-RS 2way single mono tube (30 rebound X15 compression adjustable)
$2400- $3200

JIC ZMS-RS2 2way mono tube with external reservoir tank (30 rebound
X15compression adjustable) $3400-$3800

JIC ZMS-RS3 3way mono tube with external reservoir tank (30 rebound x15 high speed compression x15 low speed compression) with external reservoir $3800~$4800

JIC ZMS-RS4 4way mono tube with external reservoir tank (30 High speed rebound x30 Low speed rebound x15 High speed compression x15 Low speed compression ) with external reservoir $4000~$5000

RS, RS2, 3,4, we can set up order made custom valving for you need it."

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back