The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Tech school for high performance engines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory51191

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2008
Leominster, Massachusetts
So i'm joining the Army National Guard and when i come back i plan on buying a 2g.

I'm going in to be a wheeled vehicle mechanic and when i come out i'm going to go to the community college around here for business.
After i graduate with my business degree, i want to go to a tech school for high performance engines.

but the main idea is to get some opinions on a good tech school for performance engines? or not a tech school because there is a specific list of schools that the ANG will pay for (and there is only a couple "tech" colleges [some other colleges have tech programs but arent a "tech" school) but any suggestions on schools that actually train you good with HP-engines? as in, a lot of 1 on 1 time with hands on activities. i'm looking to learn more about forced induction systems, fuel injection, exhaust, intake, tuning, etc.

I live in massachusetts. I know this is crazy hoping someone on here will have advise because i didn't post the list (of schools ANG will pay for) but its a decent list so maybe some suggestions will be on it.

and don't even bother with one of those replies that go something like "do some research" because i have. and thats exactly why i'm posting this because colleges pump up (with steriods) how good their school actually is.. one school will sound amazing from the description on the school website but then, u find some reviews on google or something that say how much the teachers suck at teaching and how the whole entire year you spend 2 hours actually working on engines, this and that, blah blah.

maybe some specific schools will focus more on stuff that will teach me about my future 2g?

just hoping to get some answers from people on here that actually went or know someone who went that talks to them about it.

thank u

...MASSACHUSETTS area

no replies.

BUMP 4 myself, if there is no replies again i'm just gonna let this one drop down the list.

UTI will teach you nothing you don't know, other than basic principles. It is NOT a high performance school, not even the performance area they have.
I would suggest going to more specific programs that are out there, like the EFI courses, that's where you are really going to learn anything.

If you can pass the ASE's, then don't waste your money with the uti/wyotech bs, that's for highschool kids that just know how to change oil.

I don't know if you know this, but your 'benefits' of being a GI aren't what you think unless you have put in the months/years of effort for it to pay for 100% of the tuitions.

yea i agree unoh is sick. im enrolled to start this june. i toured a few tech colleges and schools and unoh was the best.
stay away from otc "ohio technical college" its in the heart of cleveland and they have cages over the garage doors and a bunch of re-tartds going there. the school rep richard sokool showed up at my house coked out (no lie).
but honestly unoh is the way to go the actual class is like a playground for anyone really into High Performance.

UTI will teach you nothing you don't know, other than basic principles. It is NOT a high performance school, not even the performance area they have.
I would suggest going to more specific programs that are out there, like the EFI courses, that's where you are really going to learn anything.

If you can pass the ASE's, then don't waste your money with the uti/wyotech bs, that's for highschool kids that just know how to change oil.

I don't know if you know this, but your 'benefits' of being a GI aren't what you think unless you have put in the months/years of effort for it to pay for 100% of the tuitions.

let me see if i agree that schools such as uti,mmi, & wyotech have no merit ahhhh nope i don't agree.
anyone starting out can benefit from a structured training environment which all the aforementioned institutions provide.
you get out what you put in. if you show up and don't apply yourself you will coast through and barely graduate and find no jobs.
on the other hand bust your hump and learn something, be in the top 10% of your class and jobs will fall on you.
now on to the high performance dig you made how many shade trees can operate a flow bench,port/polish a head graph a cam lobe profile that puts the power right were it takes the most advantage of port/polish job he just finished. answer not many.
how many can resurface a head re-sleeve or deck a block.
how many know the difference between balance and blueprinting an engine and why it should be done.
how many know that its useless to build a 600 horsepower beast and not change gear ratios to best use all that new power.
once again the answer is not many.
i could go on and on but I'll stop here and say someone as "green" as Cory seems to be (based on the questions he's been posting) would benefit from the training.

I'm a UTI grad, and my take on it was that is was a good, fun experiance that I wouldn't trade for anything. But IMHO not worth the ~25G's that it cost. But I was accepted into one of the MSAT(Manufacturer Specific Advanced Training) programs, and that made it worth it as I got a job at a dealership making more money than some of the techs working there for 5+ yrs.

It's all what you want to do. If you want to apply yourself and try for an MSAT and work at a dealership, then yes UTI is a good place to check out. But if you are looking to work at a speed shop and want to learn about high performance stuff, then there are probably options out there.

It should also be noted though, that you don't have to go to UTI to get accepted to an MSAT, but UTI works very closely with them so most, probably like 90%, of the students that go on to MSATs came from UTI's acros the country.

Im currently attending NTI Nascar Technical Institute and if you want to say UTI is a joke then think again. We are building pushrod naturally aspirated V8's that are turning out over 900hp. The principles between a v8 and a I4 are the same other than OHC's depending on the application. I gurantee you that anything you want to learn, one of the teachers will know!

After I come back from training, I automatically have 100% tuition and fees :thumb:

Ferris State University would be one of the best places to go for anything auto related. they have different types of auto degrees and a few performance oriented classes as well, like performance machining where over a full year you learn damn near everything about building and blueprinting performance engines while actually building YOUR OWN. the classes are all centered around ASE standards and are all taught be ASE master techs what know a ton and a half about what they do

I go to University of Northwestern with a few of my buddies. Its a really nice school. Almost everyone there takes high performance so I'm sure it is a good course.I took alternative fuels for some reason LOL.

What about some places in the CA or AZ area? I was planning on going to UTI, but I'd much rather lean towards more of a speed shop since I already know the basics of a automobile. My friends brother went to UTI, he can work on anything now but he is still pretty clueless when it comes to the modification standpoint of view.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back