The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

TD06h 20g or holset

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlevanx

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2006
Manahawkin, New_Jersey
What's up guys a little back round... Have owned my Dsm for about 6 years and kind of lost interest after moving on to a different car. Not sure why but something lit a fire under my ass to get back Into it LOL.

Pretty much my ultimate goal is to see if I can get her to go mid to low elevens. I have been doing a lot of reading and contemplating if it's actually worth it to switch over to a holset setup In a bep housing. I currently have a td06h 20g on the car now. I see the hx35 6 blade and hx40 variants all flow more than my current set up but really my question is, is it worth the time and money to make the switch?

I have done plenty of research on the holsets and there is a lot more room to grow but also see a very broad range of numbers from 1/4 mile times to hp numbers. Also here in nj e85 is hard to come by so I am also looking into methanol Injection setup.

So looking for other opinions am I better of doing meth and see what I can get out of my current setup or go the holset route?

I have a tdo5 20g and I have a gst looking to get into high to mid 12's which is a reachable goal if I just build around that turbo. If you're awd I would save the money that would go into buying a holset and just build around the 20g As Well. Many builds nowadays are overly turbocharged. With meth I'm almost sure that 20g will get you into 11's with the other supporting mods of course.

Black97spyder was running a TD05H 20G on his '97 Talon AWD and it went 12.81 with 1120 injectors, 255, FMIC, BC280's and Link. I think you have a very attainable goal. However he is switching to a Holset 40 this year so I will have to wait and see how it works out (I am dad). He is going up in compression, meth, and different cams so time will tell this year. For more on his set up, PM him.

Black97spyder was running a TD05H 20G on his '97 Talon AWD and it went 12.81 with 1120 injectors, 255, FMIC, BC280's and Link. I think you have a very attainable goal. However he is switching to a Holset 40 this year so I will have to wait and see how it works out (I am dad). He is going up in compression, meth, and different cams so time will tell this year. For more on his set up, PM him.

I hope you meant 11.81 LOL. A while back I went 12.4 on a safc and no cams with same setup I have now. I'm sure I can go 11s just not sure how deep. Wasn't sure if going the holset route would make it easier or not because peoples numbers are all over the place.

It was going down every time we went to the track, but that was his best time before the track closed for winter. His car is down for a trans rebuild currently but I was pretty sure he was going to make it under 12.5 but we just ran out of time (and money, LOL). Better times to come this year tho. I actually have the 20G now on my Talon now so I will see how good I can do with a stick and being a ole man! Feel free to root ME on, hehehe.

It was going down every time we went to the track, but that was his best time before the track closed for winter. His car is down for a trans rebuild currently but I was pretty sure he was going to make it under 12.5 but we just ran out of time (and money, LOL). Better times to come this year tho. I actually have the 20G now on my Talon now so I will see how good I can do with a stick and being a ole man! Feel free to root ME on, hehehe.

Anyone know the fastest et on a 20g?

My times should have been much faster on the setup, I know that. But also going back and looking at link, it took the stock auto 1.4 seconds just to shift in the duration of a 1/4 mile. So with a shift box im sure I could have went high 11's on my old setup, I was flowing a steady 40lbs/min from launch through the traps the whole time maxing out my 2g MAF and stock 1g BOV at 23psi on piss 91 octane.... there was definitely faster times in the cars old setup but since motor had to come out for a trans rebuild I decided to switch the whole setup around. Motor, turbo, drivetrain and anything else I could touch LOL :thumb:

The td06 20g if in good shape should take you to mid 11's
I'm going to shoot for an 11.8-11.9 on my 16g and I'm pretty confident in the goal.

In the good old days the old school guys were running high 11's on 16gs, 550cc injectors, all on SAFC or even older tuning solutions.

My Buschur Racing 20g on my old talon took me 12.7@107mph at 21psi with conservative timing and then 14.0@112mph(had to let off to get into 2nd due to bent shift fork) at 25psi all on pump 93 octane with no meth.

I'd just run your 20g, shoot for 25-27psi on E85, meth injection, or race gas so you can run a good amount of timing - and you'll attain your goals pretty easily.

Running 11's is totally within reach on a 20g. How much power you need to get to a certain time will depend greatly on your car. Stripped out 1g's don't need nearly as much power to run 11's as a fully loaded 2g with 2 15's and a keg of beer in the back.

I ran 12.4's with a small 16g and fwd!!!! Your 20g should take you much farther than that, if not you might consider learning to drive or tune!! Lol

That's a pretty legit time best I got out a small 16g was a 12.8. Like I said back when I went a low 12 I only had an safc. Guess I'll get a meth kit and see what I can do with the 20g.

Thanks for all the feedback much appreciated!

Mid 11's is definitely attainable with 20g, it just depends on your setup. If you have a stripped out racecar with drag radials you could probably get into the 10s! It also depends on the less talked about driver mod, which can be a huge factor!
You can most likely get there more easily with a bigger turbo but you just have to decide if it's worth it to you to max out your current setup or go for the bigger turbo... I believe though that if you go with a holset that you are severely limiting yourself with a dsm bolt on bep housing. If you want to go holset you might as well go with a T3 housing.

I have a tdo5 20g and I have a gst looking to get into high to mid 12's which is a reachable goal if I just build around that turbo. If you're awd I would save the money that would go into buying a holset and just build around the 20g As Well. Many builds nowadays are overly turbocharged. With meth I'm almost sure that 20g will get you into 11's with the other supporting mods of course.

I got mid 12's with my t28 and fwd shoot I got 12.9@110 with a stock downpipe n cat...I was looking to go up to a 20g n go for 11's .... To the OP I would think a 20g will get ya 400-+ hp pretty well without having to buy a new turbo

Year-old thread bump!
You'll be working hard to put a 20G in the low 11s. It takes a whole setup orchestrated around the turbo to do it. HX35 - much easier.

Funny this popped back up. I've been torn between keeping my td06sl2 or going to an hx-35 in a bep housing and have been assured I can meet my goals with the 20g and avoid all the pains of installing the holset.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back