The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Targa T-top [Merged 7-7] T tops targas conversion

What is more unique?

• Awd Spyder (black w/ black top)

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Targa Gsx

Votes: 45 75.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey, according to experts, targa tops should only be done if you are willing to spend the extra cash, and i mean EXTRA cash on reinforcing the frame. If you are going to be racing the car a lot, it is not recommended. It weakens the frame and could cause stability problems. Just because you have a rollcage doesnt mean you have your frame as good. Ill say it looks very nice, but you are subject to some consequences. sincerely from a :dsm: fanatic.

wow, that is impressive, but for the amount of work involved, time and money, i would rather just go buy a delsol:D

Hey the targa I've always wanted 2 do it mine was done 11months ago so they finally finished working on my car, anyways how much you selling ur car for?? :D

I had a few issues but they got resolved when I redid my entire cage. Some of the year-old welding I had done broke through, due to my newbie-welding status. After gaining experience, it is all good.

Chassis exhibits little flex. The most annoying thing that my car does get, which many convertables get, is windshield shake/shimmies. I can barely see out my rearview mirror. I drove in your Targa and she was not so bad, but I remember when me and Joe did the "jack the car up from the middle" test, the door jams opened up quite a bit. I think he got that resolved with some more pipe.

I do alot of auto-xing, which requires more stiffness than anything. I created a simple cross bar, very thin and barely noticeable, that attaches from top of windshield accross to back of roof, using stock roof attachment points. It completely eliminates all windshield shimmies, and I can finally see out of my rear view mirror.

Anywho, if you drive modern convertibles, most will exhibit this windshield shake. Nothing you can really do about it, unless you have a supra which encompasses a very low windshield. If I am not mistaken, "we" may have the best-done targas in this country (dsm). Joe put alot of work into it, along with some of my advice and such. He also gave me some ideas which I used.

The problem I have is my suspension is super stiff. The HP is too great, and the entire car is super sensative. So my windshield shimmies and body flex were more severe than yours. Kudos, you got yourself a show stopper. Congrats, and enjoy it.

Yea i guess i got my self a " ShowStopper" but its still in the making i still gotta buy alot more things for it, But Joe sure did do alot of work on my car and I bet we do have the Best Targa COnversion in the World. Thanks 4 all the Help and FinishLine. Hey dre99gsx
you should stop by BMTRANNY end of June cuz i am bringing my car so BM can put my E-management so i'm leavin my car there for lie 2-3dys so Joe can fix my frond bumper too. i would like 2 see ur Targa GSX too, see how you did it let me know if thats cool wit u.

probly June 29, i'll be going there Bring ur car so i can see it,
later

wldn

one more thing about homemade targa tops. if you get in a head on collision the dashboard will crumple onto your legs and snap them backwards because the support of yoru roof is completely gone. SO just make sure you put PLENTY of support bars under the dash goign to the floor!

Originally posted by happywarrior
one more thing about homemade targa tops. if you get in a head on collision the dashboard will crumple onto your legs and snap them backwards because the support of yoru roof is completely gone. SO just make sure you put PLENTY of support bars under the dash goign to the floor!

Haha. Dre's car has enough support to stop a tank, from a head on collision.

Me on the other hand, I have enough for it not to flex. Safety wasnt an issue, thats what life insurance is for.

Im looking for a 1g targa or sunroof kit for my car, preferably a targa... would kit so much ass. anyone seen any?

ok ive been studying these pictures all night and i cant figure out one thing...i circled it in red (gotta love MS Paint!), i want to know what exactly is supporting that piece of weather stripping there? what is under it?

maybe someone can explain it a little better, im trying to figure out how he got his top to mount to the top of the car so smoothly

Attachments

• outside_roofinback4.jpg
    outside_roofinback4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,576
it almost looks like he cut an L shape in his roof and used it as a lip to sit the targa'd top on when he needs the roof pieces back on. thats my guess.

thats what i meant, i think he has cut his roof into an L shape and placed weatherstripping on it to seal the top.

but how would he have made his roof like that, to get it off he would need to cut straight through then rip it out, i dont think he could cut the roof like that?

another picture to maybe help.....i think you are right though, i just dont get how he cut it...

Attachments

• roofon4.jpg
    roofon4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,551
ahhhhh i see what he's done. after he cut straight through the roof, it looks like he put in 1.5"x1.5" steal pipe or something like that across the roof for strength and then used it to support the cut out section of the roof. thats my take on what he did.

hmm, that last pic kinda disproves what i just said so i guess i'm wrong...

all i can think of now is that the roof and the end close to the hatch are like 2 piece of metal that are under one another and he just cut the top layer off and sat the roof on the lower layer. thats the last possibility i can come up with right now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back