Targa T-top [Merged 7-7] T tops targas conversion

Posted by eclipse95racer, Oct 27, 2002
Appearance/Interior/Exterior - All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc.

?

What is more unique?

1. Awd Spyder (black w/ black top)

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Targa Gsx

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. eclipse95racer

eclipse95racer Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Sacramento, California
    i was wondering how much it would cost to get it dont to my '95 eclipse. or how much work it would take to do it myself. i have seen other eclipses with this conversion and it looks really good. dose anybody know how to do it?:dsm:
  2. 9D9 MITSU RS

9D9 MITSU RS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Lexington, North_Carolina
    I think you need strut bars, lower tie bars, floor cross member, roll bar, and cross members welded in under the car. Then you have to cut the top, and get latches for it, and get seals, etc. Probably not cheap at all.
  3. 9D9 MITSU RS

9D9 MITSU RS Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Lexington, North_Carolina
    My guess is at the very least, 2,000. A guy did this and plugged his sunroof up with a tinted piece of lexan. If I were you, I'd weld in sheet metal tho for a cleaner look. I wouldn't want sunroof and targa.
  4. fauchpj

fauchpj Proven Member

, Birmingham
    Andre's GSX
  5. dre99gsx

dre99gsx Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    union, Union_NJ
    I had posted a long subjective summary of the entire procedure on DSMTalk. When I first cut the roof, and did the preliminary chassis strengthening and roof weatherstripping, it did leak, and it did flex.

Part of the solution was a "tube chassis" to totally eliminate flex. This includes welding angles in every position possible. It is quite difficult to copy a Spyder frame, since I dont have body shop experience or the patience to take my fenders apart (as well as my entire dash). At this moment, there is litterally no more flex. The door jams now seperate as much as a non-cut GSX when lifted from the middle.

The other part requires some ingenuity with weather stripping and latching devices. What you see in my pictures isnt the complete product. At current state, it looks quite a bit different. The major leakage came from the makeshift lexan sunroof. Mixing lexan and metal with a weak bond will cause vibration/leakage. I'm working on it at the moment. Trying to keep the budge under $500.

At current state it will only leak if you leave a hose running on top of the roof, and it will only leak throught a crack in the silicone holding the lexan roof in place (which I have changed since). It is bone dry through all the weather stripping points, including windows.

The roof is quite cumbersome since it is 2" wider than a Supra, and 6" longer as well. It weighs 30lbs exactly, but still fits in the trunk.

I timed myself at 8 minutes to remove the roof and stowe it in the rear. The car feels like a rock with the roof on, with all the structurizing. Everything is painted and looks quite profesional. Will take more pictures when it is completely done.
  6. MitsuReaper

MitsuReaper Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    home, Maryland
    i used a compass to mark the straigth line across.
    and sawall to cut it.
  7. MitsuReaper

DSM Profiles:
    home, Maryland
    I used a fine metal blade. and went really slow.. It was fine.
  8. bisislame

bisislame Proven Member

new orleans, Louisiana
    has anyone targa topped there 1st gen if so did they have to box the subframe to help against flex and to keep structual integrity i know that when you put hydros on a euro you have to box the subframe and so im thinking that thats a yes another thing is what would look better a targa topped stock 1stgen, a targa topped 1st gen with the drift kit or with the dragon z kit for colors im going black with prizm blue ghost patterns to match my 64 when its done
  9. Davy

Davy Guest

does anyone make a targa hatch for the 2g eclipse? I have seen them on crx hatchbacks and thought that would be a great way to look different and reduce weight w/ a smaller rectangle window.;)
  10. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kirkland, Washington
    Mitsureaper has it done to his car, ask him
  11. Davy

Davy Guest

The one I seen in a body kit catalog was called a targa. Instead of a curved hatch it sits flatter and the window would be pretty much up and down. I want my car to look different but I am more into the wieght reduction this would offer.:thumb:
  12. 99eclipsegst

99eclipsegst Proven Member

, Greenfield_IL
    So today i go to the body shop and ask about a targa top, i mean how good would a black 99 gst look with one? Anyhow i go in there and this is a decent body shop they have fixed my vehicles a time or two and done an excellent job. The owner, buzz, tells me this would basically ruin my car the handling would be ruined. Now i know there are ways to fix a flexing body so i ask anything else? his reply was he has seen targa cars, especially ones converted, basically sag down in the middle throwing off hte doors, and all sorts of other problems. I still really want the targa so do u guys have any suggestions? i was thinking roll cage to make it alot more solid, but then u have bars going across the now open targa space which wouldnt be the greatest. If anyone has a suggestion or idea, lets hear it. Thanks alot guys, alex
  13. 99eclipsegst

99eclipsegst Proven Member

, Greenfield_IL
    sorry, did some research, learned what is involved and what dre did for his, dont think its gonna happen. later, alex
  14. ProJectEclipse

ProJectEclipse Proven Member

oakland, Mississippi
    hey any of you guys wanna do the targa top i have my 99 eclipse w/ a targa top. conversion the process is alot of work and alot of money pic your self buying a HRC stage 2 turbo kit. i have pic of my car being worked on w/ the targa top i'll post pic as soon as it is done.
  15. MitsuReaper

DSM Profiles:
    home, Maryland
    hm... well the cage is under 75 lbs. i dont really consider this a bad add of weight. because it is nice to have.

the unibody cross tie is probably around 10 lbs. it is made from all aluminum and bolted to the car.

So at the most I would say 85-95 lbs.

Which you have to also consider the weight of the roof that was subtracted. The roof + Power Moonroof. Im not sure exactly what this weighed, I beleive dre weighed his. Im thinking in the ball park of 35 lbs?

my replacement roof (the targa) is made out of fiberglass. which weighs around 8 lbs. tops.

So overall added weight equals out to 70-75 lbs

with most of the weight being the cage. which soon I hope to have the car "fast" enough to actually require it.
  16. JohnWH

JohnWH Banned Member

, A-Town
    Yeah right.:rolleyes: That's like building a whole new car......
  17. Enraged78

Enraged78 Proven Member

South Windsor, Connecticut
    I understand what you're asking, and think that it would look nice, but it would upset the airflow at the rear of the car, and the back seats would be completely useless. People can barely sit back there as it is... Or are you looking to make the car a real two seater?
  18. greyforestgst

greyforestgst Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    san antonio, Texas
    whats with your sig?
    i look in your gallery, and:

Jesus Christ that car looks as good as that Supra kit that cost 13,000 dollars from Japan. Man that is nice.

now thatys what im talkin about, looks sick man

two - words > BAD ASS!!

only bad thing is that it's RS

Looks Great!

where did you get it painted at and how much $ was it?

that car looks sick man. the black is so glossy. thats hot.

Dennis. As much as I hate to do this...I hate SHOW cars, but I gots to give your car a lot of respect. It's not overdone, and it is in good taste. Keep it looking clean.

dude that is pretty sick man nice,,, to bad it is an rs though all well

Hey love the car, just wanna know what size rims you need with that kit? Once again sick ride.

Dennis, Brother you should know I've always LOVED your car it doesnt matter if your car is an RS

Nice looking for sure!! :)

damn, your car looks awesome!!!
  19. happywarrior

happywarrior Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , New_YorkUS
    sorry for my poor photo editing capabilites but is this what you are talking about doing?...its just the basic idea

Attached Files:

20. happywarrior

happywarrior Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , New_YorkUS
    now what would be cool is if you made all of the rear panels removable and water tight so you could have half of a convertible!:D this would take quite a long time! anyhoo. its a cool idea
  21. dave99gst

dave99gst DSM Wiseman

plymouth, Michigan
    http://www.twingles.com/ideck/
  22. Ryda85

Ryda85 Proven Member

Staten Island, New_York
    ok guys..i found a shop out in jersey that sed they can targa an eclipse for around 3500-4500 bux...they have done it b4 and have showed me sum pictures..everything looks good. they make ur car a targa...put supra latches...6 point cage...x brackets under the car...some more bars under the car...and front and rear strut bars..wut u guys think?
  23. L2RTSiAWD

L2RTSiAWD Moderator

Mesa, Arizona
    I'd like to see the pictures to see how good the work is.
  24. Ducky Pie 713

Ducky Pie 713 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , Flint_MI_or_STL_MO
    i was thinking about targa-ing my 1g AWD... love the fresh air and i thought it would be tight as hell... maybe next summer when i start my new job... be bringing in some big $$ then!!! I just don't want to destroy the chassis... the cage is cool and my friends and i can probably make one, but is that really enough support???
    I was told to either make it fast or targa it... not both... but what if I want both?????
    <<<<<<<<spoiled little princess here!!!!!
  25. JJay

JJay Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    ATLANTA, Georgia
    Whooooaaahhhhhhh that is a lot of cash, but for a good reason if you really want that custom conversion. I think it would be cool if the work is QUALITY. You would definitely have the open air top and a lot of uniqueness. You are brave if you go for it so I can't hate on you. If you have the money and are not afraid of any pitfalls of a bad installation ...................................:rolleyes: .....I say go for it:thumb: