The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Talon does not have power wires for radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickshot23

Probationary Member
Apr 6, 2011
Schuylkill Have, Pennsylvania
I bought a 96' talon tsi awd and it has a touchscreen cd player but when I pulled it to look at the wiring it was done horribly...it has electrical tape everywhere and random wires are added everywhere to run to speakers etc...

About a week after buying it I start having battery drain issues

I pulled the radio and it seems to have stopped the drain issue...

Now I purchased a decent alpine stereo and when I goto hook it up i notice the guy has the two power wires taped to a single wire running straight to the battery...

I think this is the cause of the drain and I dont want to hook it back up if it will kill the battery again...

How can I get the original power functionality back without having to run a constant positive wire directly to the battery?

Thanks for your help

-Stephen

I read that I can get a wiring clip to connect to the factory harness...I looked under the dash and see a bunch of wiring clips and random wires running and im not sure im confident enough to mess around...one thing I did notice is the aux/cigarette lighter thing...it has a ground and positive wire running...can I splice into that? Will this cause any issues?

Thank you again

Stephen

alot of people run guages ( boost, temp, oil pres.) off the cigerette lighter power and ground. I see no reason why you couldnt use it for your stereo. But there is already a designated constant 12v, Switched 12v and ground wire thats for your radio. You just gotta find it through the mess. A walmart "cheap" digital multi meter will help you find them.

I reached for all the wires and the only loose ones were what were hooked up...I cant find any other unhooked wires laying back there...

There has too be a reason the previous owner ran a specific wire straight to the battery :confused:

Not everyone who touches a car is exactly "qualified". There might not be a logical explination for why they did that. Id keep looking for a wire somewhere in there. From my experiance it should come from the same "bundle" of wires that the others came out off. Its possible they cut it extremely short an your just not seeing the end of it. Maybe a picture could help show what your working with. Welp, thats all i can share. Goodluck

I will look tomorrow as it is dark here now and I work all day tomorrow and if I cannot see it I will definately take a pic for you guys...

Any further advice is helpful.

Thank you
Stephen

Sounds like you need to grab a test light and go to town! i have the radio out of my Talon right now if you need some pics of what the right harness looks like shoot me a PM tomorrow.

Pictures would be great...I can take my phone out and have dsmtuners right there with me : )

Ok so I own an audio shop and my first thing I must say is 99% of people who work on cars are not qualified in the areas they need to be. Some are computer wiz's, some are old school carb guys and others are body tire guys, who really knows.
Theres gunna be 8 speaker wires (you can find these with a battery by placing two wires on either side of the battery till a speaker pops), one remote wire if a amp is present, two power wires and a ground. Below is the wiring diagram for your car.. If you need to find power without running to the battery you should most definitely go to the ignition harness where you can find your 12 volts constant and 12 volts switched, you will need both. This is only if power is not provided in the stock harness that is found directly behind the headunit. Often people will blow a radio fuse not know how to fix it and therefore run a different power source and bypass the old one. You can then find your ground on the chassis or body or your vehicle or also in the ignition harness. Any other questions PM me and ill try and help you out best I can.

97 Eagle Talon Stereo Wiring

Constant 12V+ Red/Black
Switched 12V+ Blue
Left Front (+) Black/White
Left Front (-) Black
Right Front (+) Black/White
Right Front (-) Black
Left Rear (+) Yellow/Blue
Left Rear (-) Gray/Blue
Right Rear (+) Yellow/Red
Right Rear (-) Gray/Red

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are refering to the speaker wiring, there is no ground. Only the radio has a ground wire, not the speakers, they only get the positiva and negative that connect to the back of each one.

I'm referring to the radio...the wiring chart shown above does not show a ground for the radio

I wasnt able to take a pic tonight as it is really storming crazy tonight here...

If the car was in perfect shape wiring wise, would there be a ground to connect it to?

yes. there would be a ground in the original wiring harness that is specificly designated for the radio. But mostly everyone is right, You could just ground it using any of the screws that are touching the chassis

I know I just want to do it as correctly as possible - I will dig tomorrow for it and hopefully find the harness...

On a side note, I went to walmart and bought the install kit and it didnt fit the dash...anyone know of any local stores that carry the correct kit?

Taking another whack at it now...

Also, I ordered the install kit from crutchfield - :pray: Hope it works...

Here are some pics from under the dash...it looks as tho he rewired everything:ohdamn:

I looked at the adapter that goes to the radio and I might have found part of the issues...the radio diagram states that the number one pin on the plug should correspond with the constant positive but yet is is a random speaker wire...does this mean this adapter is for a dif radio? I'm confused
:confused:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Your help is greatly appreciated

From what I see in the pics, all the wiring was redone by the previous owner but they were done poorly...I feel like I'm in a bad position with this wiring

Let me know if you have any insight

Im going to see if I can borrow a multimeter from a family member after Church this morning so I can determine if I can salvage anything from this mess :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thank you

Stephen

Wow that looks like a mess. I've seen stuff like this before and to be honest it's going to be a real tough fix. Obviously the previous owner didn't use a wiring harness and just cut the wires and put them together that way. Have you considered just letting the touch screen in the way it is?

Wow that looks like a mess. I've seen stuff like this before and to be honest it's going to be a real tough fix. Obviously the previous owner didn't use a wiring harness and just cut the wires and put them together that way. Have you considered just letting the touch screen in the way it is?

That doesn't look bad at all, you should see some of the real hack jobs people do.

Unfortunately my battery died while sitting again...:banghead:

Any ideas on how I can diagnose what is causing it?

mine was a true hack job let me tell you. I'm good with stereos and what not but I was at a loss for words when I pulled mine out. I got it all together finally after many hrs with a multimeter and google. I also have to manuals but they dont cover wires codes. To my knowledge on the 2gs you have to make your own ground for the head unit. I dont remember why but that was my experience.

Some people have explained to me that the aftermarket HIDs could be causing the battery to die...anyone experience this?

Also, is there anyway to run my own positive wire that turns on only when the car is on? (So the radio doesnt drain the battery while im sleeping ;) )

Thanks guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back