The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Tach goes down instead of up ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red 211

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Topeka_Ks
On my 90 TSI I just swapped the ECU with one from a 93 TSI cause a cap burnt on the 90 ECU. After I installed the 93 ecu the tach will go down when I'm accelerating then it levels off when I take my foot off the gas. Before with original 90 ecu the tach would jump around (about 100-200rpm) at any engine speed. It did that all the time and I'm guessing that's why the 90 ecu burnt up.
The car runs fine. The tach just isn't working right. Also I did switch the 2 wires at the ecu terminals.

Anyway, if anyone knows why my tach is going the wrong way please lmk, I don't want to burn up another ECU.

Thanks

you are going to have to go and find either a 91+ tach/cluster or swap back in a 90 ecu

Damn, I never heard about that before. I guess I'll have to get my old one fixed.

another thing to check that can mess with your tach is a small "noise filter" it was only on 90's its on the drivers side of the intake manifold. the connection is very close to where the knock sensor connects. its a small 1in x .5in silver box with i beleive 2 wires comming out of it..

now from satan this little trinket is over 50 dollars i beleive. if you know anyone in the area that has a 90 dsm bum his or hers plug it in and see if you still have a problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back