The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Syptoms of Bad ECU (PCM)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1996Eclipse420a

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2012
Wilkesboro, North_Carolina
The car once again just randomly wouldn't start this morning and about all day. I wasn't getting 12v to the middle pin on the coil, nor was i getting the 8v to the cam sensor. The black/red wire coming from the ASD relay was only read 3v which it should be 12. I used a jumper wire from the ground pin on the ASD relay and grounded it to he negative battery terminal. The car fired first try. I removed the jumper wire, shut the car off, and started it numerous times with no issue. Even drove it to work tonight and not a single problem.

The ECU is suppose to ground the ASD relay, and it has me wondering what the problem was and/or if the ECU is actually going bad. Any input from anybody?[DOUBLEPOST=1417124509][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry to bump the thread, especially on Thanksgiving but I have a little more information from testing with a Multimeter.

Pin 20 Blk/Wht: 12v
Pin 6 Blk/Red: Getting a mV reading when it should be 12v
Pin 32 Blue/White: right around 12v.
Pin 33 Blue/Red: 12v
Pin 44 Yellow: 2.48v and it should be +8v (feeds power to CAS, and CPS)

Also, tested continuity on Pin 44 to each sensor, and it checked out okay.
The black/red 12v that feeds from the PCM, to the ASD Relay, and to the coil has no reading whatsoever. Everything else on the ASD relay is right at 12v. All my 5v ref are fine too. I just have to power going to the Black/Red wire (pin 6), and a very low reading on Pin 44 as well.

I've tried manually grounding the ASD relay again, and nothing happens. Won't start or anything.

Does anybody have any input, and if it is a ECU problem, who can rebuild them? Nobody around here does any of that locally.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back