The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Switching from DSM Talk to here

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clessy

Probationary Member
Sep 30, 2016
Raleigh, North_Carolina
SO DSMtalk seem all but dead and now that my wife has 420a 99 GS eclipse i'm back to the eclipse life.

I guess this forum must get flooded or something with the 30 day wait time and the 30 post limit. Though the 30 post limit seems to just be asking for spam.

I'll post what I was trying to locate with the search function and go from there.

Wife has 2g eclipse 420a engine. The issue is the car has trouble turning over sometimes. When it does have trouble turning over and eventually does the car is super weak and sutters along. If you hold the rpms of the car around 2k for awhile and let it warm up the idle smooths out and the car drives fine.

The cars been totally fine for the daily too and from work she uses it for but, today we drove it a ton and one time it was so so weak and a check engine light came on until it finally smoothed out again and drove fine. I'll pull the code tomorrow but, any clue wheres a good place to start. BTW im 100% sure it has nothing to do with starting. Alternator, battery and starter all brand new.

1st do a tune up new oil, air filter and spark plugs, it sounds like you have bad plugs and your having a miss fire try it out and see what happens

1st do a tune up new oil, air filter and spark plugs, it sounds like you have bad plugs and your having a miss fire try it out and see what happens

+1 on this also.
Stock exhaust? If so, the catalytic converter could possibly be clogged.

Bad ECU, fuel pump, fuel filter, are things to check also.

^ sure you are not just regurgitating every other copy and paste response, like all the other P members trying to raise their count?

Op. until you have a code your not gonna read anything besides assumptions.
It makes it difficult to diagnose, and i for one don't intent to add the over filled pool of misinformation any further.

Get those codes and other more knowledgeable will help.
P.s never liked dsm talk . This site lead the pack a long time ago.

Pulled the codes. Misfire on Cylinder 2 and 3 and then multi cylinder misfire. Replaced the spark plugs with some nice NGK ones. No difference. I guess i'll move onto replacing the coils and the coil pack as they're relitively inexpressive.

Theres this water draining sound when the car has sit for awhile and its hard to turn over. Some people have suggested the EVAP.

I'm new to what a evap is. Wtf does one even need this?

Pulled the codes. Misfire on Cylinder 2 and 3 and then multi cylinder misfire. Replaced the spark plugs with some nice NGK ones. No difference. I guess i'll move onto replacing the coils and the coil pack as they're relitively inexpressive.

Theres this water draining sound when the car has sit for awhile and its hard to turn over. Some people have suggested the EVAP.

I'm new to what a evap is. Wtf does one even need this?
Change the spark plug wires first I've had a few issues with those being faulty and it's more likely that those are faulty over your coil packs

Change the spark plug wires first I've had a few issues with those being faulty and it's more likely that those are faulty over your coil packs

A second vote for spark plugs. My GSX which had been sitting for 8 years by the previous owner, when I drove it it had weak power and didn't run worth a damn and had cylinder 1 misfire. I replaced the wires (it already had new plugs) and it ran great.

I'll be doing that and a egr delete ( for bay cleanliness ) on Friday or sooner then report back to you guys.

I'll be doing that and a egr delete ( for bay cleanliness ) on Friday or sooner then report back to you guys.

How can you do a EGR delete and not have your motor get upset with you? Normally the engine will run more like crap. If it was a 4g63 you could just use ecmlink and unclick the button to remove it, but with the 420a I'd be interested myself in learning how to remove it since I have a GS with a 420a myself :)

How can you do a EGR delete and not have your motor get upset with you? Normally the engine will run more like crap. If it was a 4g63 you could just use ecmlink and unclick the button to remove it, but with the 420a I'd be interested myself in learning how to remove it since I have a GS with a 420a myself :)
Block off plates then leave the solenoid there to not throw a code or solder a resistor. Guides on this very forum.

What plugs did you use? I had lots of issues with fancy plugs. Went back to the normal copper core and ran much better.

What plugs did you use? I had lots of issues with fancy plugs. Went back to the normal copper core and ran much better.
I dont know if NGK are "fancy plugs" but, thats what I used. I mean spark plugs are so cheap I just went with a brand I've used and trusted in other products.

Though the 30 post limit seems to just be asking for spam.
The 30-post minimum is actually in place to prevent spam....or should I say "isolate" the spam posts to one or two forums compared to all of them.

Wife has 2g eclipse 420a engine. The issue is the car has trouble turning over sometimes. When it does have trouble turning over and eventually does the car is super weak and sutters along. If you hold the rpms of the car around 2k for awhile and let it warm up the idle smooths out and the car drives fine.

The cars been totally fine for the daily too and from work she uses it for but, today we drove it a ton and one time it was so so weak and a check engine light came on until it finally smoothed out again and drove fine. I'll pull the code tomorrow but, any clue wheres a good place to start. BTW im 100% sure it has nothing to do with starting. Alternator, battery and starter all brand new.
Sounds like fuel delivery (filter/pump/relay) or perhaps the MAP sensor.

I'll be replacing the filter and working my way forward. Cheapest to most expensive you know how that is.

Anyways I deleted the egr system and drove the car around for awhile. Absolutely not issues no cels.

Best part about it is it must have been bad or something because the car really use to struggle climbing over 3000rpm but, now its so damn smooth. Car drives wonderfully compared to how it was. Once i'm not Probationary Member i'll write an actual guide. Everything around here is muddled and a damn debate. Not any clear cut guide that walks people threw it with pictures.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back