The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G suspension issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93AWDDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
First off thanks to everyone and anyone who participates on this site!

Okay, on to the issue. All four struts, Tie rod ends (not sure about inner) and Control arms are worn badly as the car is reaching 208K miles, a small bump in the road makes it completely shake and bounce. I'm unfortunately very short on funds for now. Approaching this, which of these symptoms should I attempt to attack first that would HELP the most with these issues as this is my DAILY DRIVER and have no secondary vehicle to use.

thanks...

Rock auto is your friend. Although you must replace all those things, struts are probably the least important (although I lucked out twice and got my kybs on wholesaler closeout from rock for $12 ea). You lose your steering because of a separated tr. If a control arm ball joint is worn to the point it's making noise it needs to be replaced asap. Tie rod ends are about $5 each ($20 total, do all four), and not sure about 1gs, but control arms for 2gs range from $20-70 each. If you're going the cheap eBay route (the equivalent of rock auto's "economy" brands) go with AM or Detroit axle, I got an entire front end kit (4 control arms, upper ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, sway bar links) for my Spyder for $150. You can assemble your own kit from rock for about the same if you shuffle the shipping) If you dont know how to do your own alignment that's another $90 or so. I guarantee there's probably more things worn than you realize (sway bar links, bushings, etc) which you will discover afterwards, and you'll be chasing more noises. Order all the parts, take a few hours and replace everything at once . $150-200 is peanuts for your life.
Another tip: find the part numbers on rock then search eBay by part number. You can find NOS (new old stock) a lot cheaper. I found OEM lateral arms for $25 each shipped, as well as tons of other parts.

* you made me remember why I started doing all my own work. Years ago (on a GS nonetheless) I paid a mechanic almost $500 to replace control arms. I found out later I could have got them for free from the 2g recall. I've done the same job on many dsms since then and I'm baffled as to how and why I paid so much for such a relatively simple job.

Last edited:
True that, gotta get it up on all fours to check, damn evo is taking up garage space LOL

edit: Can anyone confirm if I should add more to this list? THANKS!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back