The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Supplies needed to paint car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2RTSiAWD

Honorary Moderator
20+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2002
Chandler, Arizona
With all the DIY painters on the site I'm thinking about getting into it.

What I would like is for all you experts to post up a list of items required when painting. All the sandpaper and relevent grits. Just so I can see what's involved and to get a list in once place.

I just would like to paint the hood and bumper on my car (for now).

TIA

well i used to be a porter at a body shop and ill list what i know we used its not all of it though.

scotch bride
220 grit
1500 grit
paint prep
(cant remember what it was called but it cleans, and it whips the surface befoer you spray anything)
of course the paint
hardener
reducer

the most usefull tool ever a d.a.

That's cool, I just wanted to get a list of parts going.

Good god.

Air compressor
paint booth
water
electricity
sandpaper
sanding blocks
sanding boards
air sanders
welder
grinders
air tools- chisel, shears, wrenches, impact drivers, panel cutters, etc.
hammers
dollies
floor jacks
jackstands
creeper
coveralls
respirator
goggles
tack rags
solvents
paints
primers
primer-fillers
Bondo
heat lamps

Christ, it hurts just to think about. We used to have a shop in Napa called Beyond Repair Bodyworks. My back still hurts.

ya..all those things are necessary. i just got out of collission and refinishing at WyoTech and i plan on painting my car this weekend. if u want, i scored a SHITLOAD of supplies. i got more sand paper and paper to cover windows, and primer, and paint, and scuff pads. u need some shit, let me know. LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back