2G Strut Tower Replacement

Posted by RevyDSM, Mar 13, 2017

Please Support VR Speed Factory
  1. RevyDSM

RevyDSM Probationary Member

Joined Apr 16, 2016
    Dayton, Ohio
    So I decided to tackle the #1 thing that NEEDS to be done before I do any extensive modding. The driver side strut tower is absolutely gone. You can press on any spot except around the strut bolts and it will flex. So I want to hear what you guys have to say and if you have any tips let me know. What's the best way to line the donor tower in the exact spot of the old one so the handling won't change?

Attached Files:

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

50trim   manual
  2. mitsumikey

mitsumikey Proven Member

Joined Mar 18, 2007
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    I feel like if your going to that trouble just buy a tower from miller import parts with no rust on it to begin with. Shop did my towers for me and it was a ton of work and measurement but they came out mint I can try and post pics later from home. Basically they popped out tons of spot welds and took out a ton of metal. lined the new one back up and welded away.

My DSM:
    RevyDSM likes this.
  3. wishihadatalon

wishihadatalon Proven Member

Joined Aug 18, 2002
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Mikey is right, you should probably find one without rust to begin with. With that said, if you want to patch the one you have, you're best off deconstructing the whole thing piece by piece, sand blasting, and replacing any rusted material. Deconstruction is a bit of a pain, but a good spot weld cutter will go a long way to getting it taken apart.

The process I used on my tower replacement is as follows.
    1. Cut towers out of donor car
    2. remove seam sealer donor towers
    3. use spot weld cutter to get apart
    4. cut out bad rust on my car
    5. sand blast any and all residual rust
    6. coat all overlap seams and areas to be welded in SEM copper weld through primer
    7. line up spot welds from donor panels to original spot welds on car
    8. weld in new panels
    9. grind away excess weld metal
    10. epoxy primer bay
    11. use filler on any areas to be fixed
    12. profit

Here is a public Facebook link to my tower replacement project pictures. It's not an easy job to do it right, but it is totally worth it to know that your car is structurally sound. https://www.facebook.com/tj.vangess...08102981531.1073741830.100000370576150&type=3

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

12.100 @ 113.000 MPH
    RevyDSM likes this.
  4. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Supporting Member

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Like the old saying goes, measure twice, cut once. But in the case of strut towers, measure 4 times, drink a beer, pray, measure again, then cut. :D

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST (sold)

Street Build

T28   manual
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

16g   manual
    1996 Eagle Talon N/T (sold)

manual
    RevyDSM and jjw205 like this.
  5. mitsumikey

mitsumikey Proven Member

Joined Mar 18, 2007
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    More cutback then shown. Custom made panel from back of strut tower to firewall on both sides. late but nonetheless here we go 1 2016 Spring (2).jpg 3.5 2016 Fall (0.5).jpeg 4.5 Winter 2016 Nikon.JPG 4 2016 Winter (9).jpg 3.5 2016 Fall (2).jpeg 4 2016 Winter (39).jpg 4.5 Winter 2016 Nikon (18).JPG 8 2016 Winter Nikon.JPG 4 2016 Winter (17).jpg 5 2016 Winter.jpg 4.25 2016 Winter.jpg

My DSM: