The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Streetcar! how much oil in catchcan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lauscher

Proven Member
Aug 18, 2015
Escanaba, Michigan
So I'm finally installing a well needed catch can on my 1g, I decided to go vented. (let the hate begin) I have 2 10an lines that will be going to it and the car will be daily driven, how quickly will I end up having to empty it? What's everyone's experiences?

To add to DSMkauai's post, if you still have a baffle in your valve cover then really almost never. I get a few drops out of mine every few months. Mine is a single -10 going to a baffled can and then back to my intake pipe pre -turbo.

Okay thanks guys, I do still have the baffles installed, but one fitting is punched through the baffle. It is angled more up though so hopefully that doesn't let as much oil through to the can. And I will be running e85. Fun stuff!

I only run e85 in my car, daily driven about 500 miles a week and I've never had a catch can fill with oil, condensation, or anything else. As stated I check it every few months and it usually contains about a quarter of a shot glass worth of liquid.

I only run e85 in my car, daily driven about 500 miles a week and I've never had a catch can fill with oil, condensation, or anything else. As stated I check it every few months and it usually contains about a quarter of a shot glass worth of liquid.
Care to share if you have baffles, line size, ring gap, and power levels?

Care to share if you have baffles, line size, ring gap, and power levels?

Still have baffle in my valve cover, a single -10 line, don't remember ring gap off the top of my head, about 450 hp.

The condensation filling the cans on e85 is heavily dependent on ambient temp for me. Below 40*F I get a fair amount, I barely get any in the summer months. I also got much more on a vented setup than the sealed one.

To the OP I ran a vented setup on the street for years, and I never had any problems with crankcase pressure. I will say the oil gets contaminated very quickly, even more so with e85. That's the only reason I went to a sealed system, running detergent free racing oil, I never left the same oil in the car longer than a month (maybe 500 miles tops) and it was always more contaminated than I would've liked it to be. Pulling on my main can with the turbo inlet helped tremendously. What I'm saving on oil changes has more than paid for the new catch can setup LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back