The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Storing Bare Block, Cylinder head, Tranny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
I'm going to part-out my car so what's best way to store these parts long term? Bare block needs to be hot tanked + prepped before using ever again due to spun rod bearing and could put it in my attic so moisture isn't a problem. Do I spray some wd40 and cover with towels only? Should I just completely stretch wrap cylinder head without spraying it? Tranny needs to stay in basement long term so is moisture going to be a problem? What about turbo or other parts? All these parts are going to sit around for awhile as spares and if I decide I don't need them will be selling but do need to keep them in good shape. Thx!

I would just oil up the block as is, I like to put oil soaked rags in the cylinders. Keep the crank in the block bolted down to keeo everything straight as possible. For the deck I like to oil up some paper towels and place them over the deck and wrap everything with plastic wrap. Do the same for the head, anything to keep moisture out.

I use the above method also and don't have an issue, I do re oil everything a every few months but I have block and heads that still look new after sitting for years.

I've read in quite a few places that wrapping in plastic is not good since it keeps moisture in and make things worse.

Maybe since block will be in my dry attic rust won't be much of a problem. What about coating lightly with transmission or brake fluid? Because also seen some people saying not to use wd40.

Keep in mind it's for a block that's not prepped yet and still needs hot tanking/honing etc before using again. I will bolt in old crankshaft like suggested though.

What about storing manual transmission in basement long term? Is there anything special that needs to be done there?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back