The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

stock headlights vs. projector headlights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kr.k

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2002
Tallinn_Estonia_Europe
Hi!
please help me understand what is the difference between stock and those aftermarket "projector" headlights.
Is it just the looks or do projector headlights provide better lighting?
Stock lights on my 95 Talon are ugly-yellow and I am wondering if I should just polish them or should I buy some projector headlights?
i don`t care about how they look - I need good lighting!
thanks.

iv'e never owned them myself but i have heard some bad thinds about them. I have heard that they dont provide a beam that travels far from the car. Basically all i projector light is, is a fog light housing and lens( i guess thats what you wold call the glass) in the stock headlight housing, i have heard that if you put hids with projectors then they are reall nice but from what ihave heard they arent that good.

i know the origional apc ones suck. my friend had them and they just suck!!! the apc gen II or III are the dual projectors. those seem to better than the origional projectors plus they use your stock 9006 and 9005 bulbs instead of h3 and h1. i'm about to get my car back and i'm going to have KS projectors with gold ion lens. i'm putting in piaa extreme white bulbs to replace the shitty ones that are going to come with it. so i'll be sure post pics and all. hope this helps any.
later

projectors wwith h1/h3 bulbs suck for lighting. they look 10 times better than the old 95 stock ones turned yellow, but dont put out as much light. i would have polished mine if i'd have had the patience....i just took the easy way out...:rolleyes:

here they are:

Attachments

• l8500241.jpg
    l8500241.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 10,168
^^^yeah i got those^^^

can't see much with them. always turning my high beams when i'm in dark places without external artifical lights.

i didn't know you can change the bulbs on g1 projections. i thought they were like glued on them or something?!

hmm, well these aren't the gen I apc and all. i checked them as soon as they came in, just like the stock bulbs, just unhook them, and replace them with better bulbs. damn i want my car back. this week, that's all i have to tell myself, this week.
later

clmanti has the dual projectors which use your stock 9006 and 9005 bulbs, while my projectors are a better quality that the origional apc gen I projectors, they still use H3 and H1 bulbs. i'm putting in the piaa extreme whites so i'll let you guys know how they come out. looks good mantis.
later

yes i am going to get some projectors soon.......... i hope!:thumb:

its a bunch of bunk... i got some and the stupid things were not aimed right and no matter how hard i tryed i couldnt get one of them to lie up properly... also no lihgt is projected at all... projectors are actualy called pes lamps... and the ones in those are a load of crap... they are the fog lenses instead of real projectors which have a more pencil like beam rather than a wide fog beam... they do look cool but they are worthless for see ing in the dark, so now i have my stockers back in... which should be insane if i ever get a hid upgrade

i got projectors with h3 piaa extreme white worked fine
but the bulbs alone are 70
your best shot kr.k is to buy some 95 lights on dsmtrader in good shape and ditch yours

$70? damn!!! nopi has them for $53. what wattage are you using 250lemans? b/c they have 35 watts=70 watts and 55 watts=110 watts. let me know what you have. thanks.
later

my projectors suk way worse than stock - ive upgraded the bulbs also, you just cant get enough light out of them, ive got my hi-beams aim'd down so i have the option of leaving them on all the time w/o blinding anyone. they do look nice though :)

I heard that they stopped making the dual projectors because the black finish on the housings was chipping off or something? Anyone know about this or had it happen to them?

Originally posted by shuwa29
here they are:

I just installed those very same KS projectors. I have to say that I am a little disapointed. I wish now that I had gotten the clear beam instead of the gold ion because I want to upgrade to HID and I wouldn't want the light to be filtered because of the "gold" look of the glass. Or maybe that is just the bulb? I don't know. anyway, when I first pulled them out of the box I thought they sent me the worng ones because they looked blue. I really wanted the look of the Angel Eyes, or EVo 7/8 with two projectors, one gold ion and one HID, but, oh well. They aren't very bright and the light has a yellowish hue, but it isn't dangerous. If an HID kit is intalled in a projector beam set, does it look okay? Or would you want a clear projector, or would the stockers be the best choice?

either way the HID would make the beam a different color. the brightness of the HID kit will determine the color of the beam and the gold ion lens of the projectors will do very little to change the color of the HID beam.
later

Well after getting a really cheap 97 headlight I'm going with the stockers.
BTW if you want the APC dual projectors PM and I'll give you the number of a shop in AZ who can get them

How are the APC duals? I figured after everyone got burned on their first try, that no one would try them again. It is too bad are cars were never sold in Japan, or we would be able to get real deal projectors instead of these cheap knockoffs. Most HID kits I see are for H3/H4 beams so at least I can upgrade that way. I just wish someone would step up to the plate with some quality product.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back