The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stock 2g Saronno Red Primer color

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGL122

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2012
Houston, Texas
Can someone tell me what color primer is used for the Saronno Red R87 on the 1998 eclipse? I'm ordering from automotive touchup and I want the parts to match the rest of the body. I know the primer color can effect the final look. Is it grey, white, or red primer? If anyone can tell me that'd be great. Thanks!

I don't know if this is useful, but I have some unpainted OEM side skirt pieces which are gray, and I have an unpainted OEM fender which is black. Unfortunately I dont have any other metal or plastics pieces to compare these to, but I wonder if they used gray for plastic pieces and black for metal? Can anybody verify this hypothesis, or does everything get a consistent primer at the paint booth (I'm not a body shop guy and have no idea, :idontknow:)?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't know if this is useful, but I have some unpainted OEM side skirt pieces which are gray, and I have an unpainted OEM fender which is black. Unfortunately I dont have any other metal or plastics pieces to compare these to, but I wonder if they used gray for plastic pieces and black for metal? Can anybody verify this hypothesis, or does everything get a consistent primer at the paint booth (I'm not a body shop guy and have no idea, :idontknow:)?

That fender has a sheen to it, not like primer. It could be gel coated or even painted. And with the side skirt piece, it looks like plastic. Is that not just the color of the plastic?

That fender has a sheen to it, not like primer. It could be gel coated or even painted. And with the side skirt piece, it looks like plastic. Is that not just the color of the plastic?

No, the outside surface is lighter than the inside on the plastic part. The inside is darker, closer to black. The outside also stains when you touch it (oops LOL).

A bit late to this so sorry, but from memory R87 uses a red primer, i am almost certain this is what i had to use when i did my door handle when i snapped it. The handle comes black and i read you can leave it black as the red is super bright but to get the full effect of the red be it Saronno or radiant (same thing different name) R87 they use s red base to keep it bright.

Im due to spray my fenders snd new hood soon and red primer is what I will be using since it specifys it and its the same paint i used as before

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back