The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

STI to TSI: My first DSM 91_Talon_Budget_Warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_Lane

Probationary Member
May 8, 2013
Manito, Illinois
First off I would like to introduce myself, Names Mike Lane (if you didn’t notice from my user ID) and I am kind of new to the DSM game. Since having my license I have mostly been into the v8 rear wheel drive scene owning a few very clean mustangs and some other misc. 4 cylinder daily drivers. Over the past two years I have been introduced to the DSM scene from a buddy (fellow co-worker) and have grown to like the platform. Although the DSM scene around the area is pretty large I found myself getting involved with and purchasing a Subaru WRX last summer once I sold my last mustang. The WRX is a nice clean car and served me well for a car that I can toy with and take to local shows which, by the way landed me a trophy at the Bradley University Car show this spring. For a while after purchasing the WRX I caught a lot of grief from Travis (tkstoygsx) for not just buying a DSM and this has lasted to this day. The main reason being because shortly after purchasing the WRX I had to do a motor swap due to some Rod knock after a night of racing at Cordova Dragway Park during a Midnight Mayhem event. About two weeks ago I finally broke down and got my first DSM, a 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD.

It’s kind of a unique story as to how I landed this car because it was kind of by luck that I even came across it. While in the Quad Cities for a car show, we went to a guy’s house so a friend could buy some DSM parts. While entering this guy’s garage for him to get the parts, I saw a 1st gen poking its nose out of the corner of the garage. Noticing it was being neglected as a storage shelf, I inquired and it was for sale. A short story ensued: “The previous owner had built the car and during the first drive out of the garage the fuel return line cracked and caused a fire under the hood. The car had been sitting since then and the new owner had been gathering up parts and building a new engine for it.” The new engine was sitting on his engine stand when I was there checking it out and I noticed that he had purchased quite a bit of Good/ high dollar parts for the engine rebuild. Weisco HD pistons, Manley Rods, Clevitte bearings, Manley valve springs and retainers, new valves and a full valve job and some other items. This was intriguing enough before finding out that the guy just didn’t know how to put the car back together and wanted to get rid of it quickly. My opportunity window was now open. This guy had a daily driver Honda and a beat-up WRX that he was busy working on, seemed to me like he might be interested in a trade. At home I had a project of my own, an 85 Nissan 300zx Turbo with a few mods, it was running but now was in need of a head gasket and a paint job soon. After explaining this to the guy he was interested as he informed me he had always wanted one of those. So we shook hands and soon after returning home, I was loading the Nissan up on a trailer for the 150 mile trip back to Iowa.
After 2 hours in the pouring rain loading the 300 (too low for trailer) I was off to pick up Travis (tkstoygsx) for the long journey in the 8mpg 460 big block gas F-250. This day being the only day we all could meet, it decided to pour all day long. After much hassle we were on the way back with the truck bed full of DSM parts (some not even for mine but for the 93 year body style), and the car packed dash to hatch with the block on the driver seat, the head on the floorboard and the gas tank in the engine bay. Once back home the rain subsided and all my DSM friends came to ooh and ahh at the new project on hand and congratulate me for finally giving in and getting one.
It was unloaded and pushed into the garage where the stripping the fire damaged parts away was taken care of in no time and the engine was being assembled; the interior cleaned up a bit and all the spare parts went through and organized. More parts have been purchased and are on the way. All of the fire damage called for a new brake booster, reservoirs, and a harness. All of which has been supplied by local DSM friends. After work hours die down from 50-60 hour weeks, and the turbo swap and tuning of my Subaru are done, then full steam ahead to get the talon back on the road!

Things to come in the near future:
CLEANING!
Painting of the front end from the fire (fenders, hood and bay, back to factory champagne color)
A turbo needs to be purchased along with other simple necessities (radiator, exhaust, fmic piping, bov, ect.)
STAY TUNED!!

Attachments

• bye nissan.jpg
    bye nissan.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 126
  • hello talon.jpg
    hello talon.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 126
  • on jackstand.jpg
    on jackstand.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 128
  • front of garage.jpg
    front of garage.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 125
  • stripped bay.jpg
    stripped bay.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 155
  • boxes.jpg
    boxes.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 122
  • engine blank.jpg
    engine blank.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 133
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 132
Looks like my old dsm. Does it have an ACT sticker inside the arm rest cover? If so, you have a winner.

Looks like my old dsm. Does it have an ACT sticker inside the arm rest cover? If so, you have a winner.

No sticker! .... Was yours on fire also? Haha. .... Seemed like before i had mine, all i saw was red ones but now im seeing these 2 toned ones with the same color scheme everywhere but im sure itll be a winner in the end!

When I started to scroll down, I first saw the Z. I was like, that's not a DSM!!! Haha, good luck with the build man!

Haha yea it was a fun car but being from the 80's, there were wiring issues throughout...

But thanks man shouldnt be all too much longer!

Good choice leaving the suby world LOL!

Looks like you are off to a great start. Ive always like the two tone with the black spoiler.

Good choice leaving the suby world LOL!

Looks like you are off to a great start. Ive always like the two tone with the black spoiler.

He didnt technically leave the SUBI world as he still daily drives the WRX... But we are turning his focus towards the Talon to try and make the trip to SHOOTOUT with it in August.

So.. he's not out of the suby game....... yet ;)

Haha i dont think i will actually leave the subaru world.... Its the only car ive had that will tear up these old back roads with no trouble at all, i keep pushin it and it takes it.... Its too fun to get rid of plus who can beat that blue and gold rims (no other subarus do that......)

But the plan that i have is to have the talon as the fast racecar and keep the wrx for a daily/offroad/truck/car....

Slight update

Just got in from the garage....

Fenders off and sanding has commenced. ... Driver fender was too rusty to save (rusted in two below trim) however was kind enough to give me an old horseradish sauce packet.... What?

Hood cleaned up and stripped and sanding has started

A lot of Interior pieces have been cleaned aand painted black

1. Engine bay cleanliness increased to 90%
2. Engine bay sandedness increased from 0 to 6%
3. Engine togetherness increased to 80%

New parts acquired...
1. Prothane mounts
2. Aeromotive fuel rail kit
3. Injen intake
4. Mishimoto alum. Radiator
(1-4 got in trade for a set of wheels, subaru perrin heat shield and some gas money totalling a $220 investment on my end)

5. Full exhaust (2.5")
6. 14b turbo (for now.....)
7. Clutch... Oem
8. Gates blue timing belt and timing kit
9. New bse kit
10. And bought the paint!!
Probably something else i forgot too but work is slowing down so hopefuly more time in the garage (but sttill have a job haha)

More to come soon!

Thanks to TJ (tkstoygsx) and Justin and Bobby (idk there user names.... TJ perhaps you could add them in....)

Welcome to the dark side Mike. Muahahahaha!

Haha thank you im enjoying it so far and itll only get better when i can drive it!

Wow, love all the progress that youre not making. What gives? lets show the dsm peeps the progress so far, get them pics uploaded buddy!!

Front end is repainted
engine is togethers
front subframe is painted
and so on...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back