The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Steering wheel shimmy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
When I turn steering wheel back and forth in driveway I get a little play and a click similar to a bad tie rod and while driving wheel judders nervously back + forth but just a little bit. I changed both outer tie rods and inspected inner tie rods for play while they were off and they seem good. I don't hear any noises like a bad wheel bearing and when shaking tire at 12 + 6 position with tire off ground there's no play. Any ideas on what's bad?

Is the PS Pump pulsing maybe?

I don't feel any up/down vibration in steering wheel on highway and tires were balanced within last few months. Plus back/forth steering wheel jutter while driving corresponds with the slight free play + click when turning steering wheel while standing still and tie rods appear definitely good. I do suspect steering linkage but how do you check it?

When is your steering wheel shaking? Low speeds like parking lot? Or freeway speeds 50+ if it's doing it at parking lot speed check for a seperating tire. If it's only staring at higher speeds I would the balance checked again.

When is your steering wheel shaking? Low speeds like parking lot? Or freeway speeds 50+ if it's doing it at parking lot speed check for a seperating tire. If it's only staring at higher speeds I would the balance checked again.

Can feel it a little at 25-35 mph and also highway speeds when I let my hands off wheel it judders slightly back + forth too. (Possibly a bit more pronounced at 25-35 than higher speeds). When car isn't warmed up much and getting on highway it seems the worst but only for first 1 or 2 miles and then it's not as bad.

another question...what kind of tires do you have?

my cheapo nankangs never have balanced right after 3 times trying. if youve got cheap tires, dont expect them to balance nicely or keep a balance.

I've been using Michelin tires for about a year now.

Last edited:
Rotor runout or warped brakes. Have the rotors been turned lately? Were the close to spec? When is the last time they were replaced? Cupped or uneven worn tires or even bent rim. Although they were balanced how good did they balanced out? Have you tried to rotate tires to see if it changes. Clicking could be a cv shaft.

I just inspected whole suspension last week and only thing I seen wrong was passenger axle so I changed it and although everything is improved still having some issues. Will have to check driver side axle, wheel bearing, + control arm/ball joint closer.

What is the tread like on your tires? Are they cupped? If it's bad you would feel it more the slower you were going. If it goes away the faster you go I would look at how your tires are wearing.

Now I'm starting to hear a high pitched squeal sound like trains wheels when they're going real slow and coming to a stop. I changed a rear brake caliper 2 weeks ago and used anti-seize instead of syl-glyde grease on back of pads but this high pitched flute sound doesn't change whether being on brakes or off them. I've had a wheel bearing go bad in the past and it had a steady whirring sound that was completely different than this current sound but still thinking maybe a wheel bearing is going out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back