1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

Steering wheel "grinds" when turning, do I need power steering fluid?

Posted by darkside515xx, Oct 18, 2003
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. darkside515xx

darkside515xx Proven Member

, HawaiiUS
    My steering wheel feels like it's "grinding" when I turn, do I need power steering fluid or is that how a DSM is?

2. powells85

powells85 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , wayne_nj
    Check out the power steering fluid resevoir level. It is black and right next to the pump which is the top and foward most pulley on the accessory belt. When my pump and rack and pinion went I think it was grinding, but that was long ago and I've got new problems so I can't really remember. If the level if fine it could be the pump going out but to me it sound like rack and pinion, maybe one of the seals inside it broke. If you see metallic looking stuff in ur power steering fluid it's a seal. Try to undo one of the clamps to the hose that goes to the resevoir and let some fluid out to see what it looks like. Also, make sure you fill it back up with ATF 3, NOT POWER STEERING FLUID.

3. darkside515xx

darkside515xx Proven Member

, HawaiiUS
    Ok, I'll go check, thanks for your help. :D

4. 1Quick99GST

1Quick99GST Proven Member

Pensacola, FloridaUS
    It may also be your CV joints. Does it "grind" real bad when you accelerate and turn at the same time? Try turning your wheel to one extreme (right or left) while stopped, then give it gas and see if you hear the joints clicking. If you start off straight, and it doesn't click, it's probibly the CV....

5. ShadowEclipse

ShadowEclipse Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mine's been grinding real bad too, but it only does it on left turns. It started out with alot of squeaking {came on suddenly} from the front end, then about 2 weeks later it started grinding. Right turns are fine, it only grinds on left turns and seems to be worse at low speeds, i.e. turning into a parking spot vs. turning on the street. It also grinds if I turn the wheel with the car stopped. And all the grinding is from the front driver's side suspension. Any ideas?