The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Steering wheel "grinds" when turning, do I need power steering fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkside515xx

Probationary Member
Sep 26, 2003
HawaiiUS
My steering wheel feels like it's "grinding" when I turn, do I need power steering fluid or is that how a DSM is?

Check out the power steering fluid resevoir level. It is black and right next to the pump which is the top and foward most pulley on the accessory belt. When my pump and rack and pinion went I think it was grinding, but that was long ago and I've got new problems so I can't really remember. If the level if fine it could be the pump going out but to me it sound like rack and pinion, maybe one of the seals inside it broke. If you see metallic looking stuff in ur power steering fluid it's a seal. Try to undo one of the clamps to the hose that goes to the resevoir and let some fluid out to see what it looks like. Also, make sure you fill it back up with ATF 3, NOT POWER STEERING FLUID.

It may also be your CV joints. Does it "grind" real bad when you accelerate and turn at the same time? Try turning your wheel to one extreme (right or left) while stopped, then give it gas and see if you hear the joints clicking. If you start off straight, and it doesn't click, it's probibly the CV....

Mine's been grinding real bad too, but it only does it on left turns. It started out with alot of squeaking {came on suddenly} from the front end, then about 2 weeks later it started grinding. Right turns are fine, it only grinds on left turns and seems to be worse at low speeds, i.e. turning into a parking spot vs. turning on the street. It also grinds if I turn the wheel with the car stopped. And all the grinding is from the front driver's side suspension. Any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back