The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Steering issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM B

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hello All,

Build Background:
I have just completed a major front end overhaul on my 96 eclipse GSX. This included replacement of all lower ball joints, tie rods, hub and bearing assembly, poly urethane bushings, and solid subframe bushings. I have also installed adjustable Tokico Illumina with Skunk 2 coilovers and adjustable upper balljoint. I performed a front end alignment using the string method and have the toe adjusted. I have the camber adjusted pretty straight as far as my eye can see as I have lowered the car by 1.5".

Problem Statement:
My steering wheel will not return to center on it's own at any speed.

Further Information:
Since I removed the Rack and Pinion to clean it and paint it, after re-install I had to bleed the power steering system as per the Factory Service Manual. I even replaced the power steering pump with a reman unit and bleed it again after the first instance of steering wheel not returning to center.

At this point I am unsure if I have a mechanical alignment angle issue or a hydraulic assist issue not allowing it return to center. I do seem to have power steering assist as my steering wheel is easy to turn at low and no speeds, it just won't return to center on its own.

Any help, advice or input is welcome.

Thank you!

Take it in for an alignment check it probably needs to be realigned since you took everything out.
I think you're on to something. I checked the alignment myself again just now and it was 0.5" in toe in on the passenger side. I re-aligned it, but will still bring it in to have checked and adjusted.

I'll follow up with the results.

Thanks

I would remove the knuckle and make sure the ball joints are in good shape and were not damaged or over-tightened during installation. Also this is a serious problem with a lot of chinese knock-off suspension parts that have 0 quality control. Typically on non-DSM cars, this is hte #1 cause of a steering wheel not returning to center. Alignment won't be affected by that it will just throw your steering wheel off center. It is most likely a linkage binding issue. Since the front end on these cars is pretty standard, I would learn towards the ball joints binding when returning.

Hey thanks for the reply. I bought Dorman ball joints and they seemed as a quality component, having said that, I torqued them to the factory spec but I didn't check if Dorman had an alternate spec for their parts. I will look into that and also check the binding as I feel the alignment can be ruled out as root cause of the issue and I am starting to lean towards a binding issue.

Thanks

I checked for binding in the ball joints and I did notice with the wheels off the ground, they were incredibly difficult to turn back and forth. I loosened the ball joint nuts and the ball joints and found the wheels turned easier. I visually checked the ball joints and they seemed fine. I torqued them to factory specs the first time around, but I will torque them again and check to see how difficult it is to turn the wheels.

Sometimes when the BJs are new they are extremely stiff. Not sure if its the nature of the chinese BJ or the fact they usually only put a small smear of grease on them and it has to work its way into the joint. If the dormans have zerk fittings add some grease. I had this happen with new compression arms once and they took a few days to loosen up a bit. Of course in that time I kept tweaking the tie rods and my adjustable sway bar thinking it was something else. Scared the crap out of me at first. Try spending a lot of time turning the wheel lock to lock even at stop lights to try to loosen them up.
Also don't waste your money at an alignment shop until they're loosened up.

If your Caster is off, I believe, it will cause the wheel to not return to center. My son just graduated from Tech and he has told me if my wheel doesn't come back to center on its own that the caster is probably off. He did 5 alignments for our cars while he was in class and all of them drive perfect.

Here is a pretty good explanation from Tire Rack:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

Ok, I have been back to work on the eclipse, and after being at the alignment shop, we adjusted toe, caster was in spec, Camber was off, due to the car being lowered. Still would not return to center.

So, with the car on the alignment rack, the tech turned the wheels back and forth so we could look for binding. We found the passenger side lateral arm and lower control arm where rubbing. Check the pic out below. Good call Black GS, looks like I will be ordering OEM suspension components. Once I get them installed, I will let you know if the wheel is still not finding its way to center.

Thanks!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back