The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Steering an lines.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm in the process of installing my lines, now the high pressure side coming out of the ps pump goes to what inlet on the rack? Then the other outlet goes to the bottom port on the ps reservoir correct?

not much was done i did come up with a better way to mount the fmic by welding nuts on the radiator support and align the intercooler and then just bolt it.

and i got the inline cooler in and i placed it where i think i will be mounting it, i just need some ideas where is the best place and how to mount it.
thanks guys
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

im also interested on where the lines go from the rack, right now i think im doing it the right way but im not sure

i have the line from the power steering pump going to the inlet closer to the fire wall then i have the other one going to the inline cooler and from the other side of the cooler to the reservoir.
does that sound right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys so I'm having a problem with my power steering, pump and rack are new/ remanufactured.

Everything is in the right way no leaks fluid is full but I have no power steering the fluid in side the reservoir doesn't get sucked by the pump, it doesn't move at all when the car is on?

It's got a new belt and it's tight, when turning the wheel from side to side I dont here that normal noise hitting the bump stops what can it be?

Hey guys so I'm having a problem with my power steering, pump and rack are new/ remanufactured.

Everything is in the right way no leaks fluid is full but I have no power steering the fluid in side the reservoir doesn't get sucked by the pump, it doesn't move at all when the car is on?

It's got a new belt and it's tight, when turning the wheel from side to side I dont here that normal noise hitting the bump stops what can it be?

This should be in a separate thread, but you need to have primed the pump by filling it with fluid before attaching the valve assembly and high pressure hose to it. Search around for threads on how to properly bleed the PS system ... there are plenty of them.

Did you happen to cross any hoses?

]im just continuing my thread that i started, i just ran in to this problem.

i have tried to bleed the power steering pump there is no fluid movement in the reservoir.

i keep turning the wheels and nothing.

the lines are the right way, im sure but here how they are, im thinking that could be the problem, but not knowing for a fact how they are routed i have not take them out and switch them.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

hey guys i just wanted to add that i went out and got power steering fluid, jacked the car and took off the wheels.
turned the car on and turned the wheel lock to lock i did it 5 times 5sec each time.
then i turned off the car and did the same thing, no air was coming out but fluid was as if it was over flowing but only on lock position.

after doing it some many times i still do not have power steering.
any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for this info. I just ordered all the fittings to do a blockoff loop at the power steering rack. I ordered the steel fittings and hi pressure hose just in case I put power steering back in later

I don't get it how are you guys using regular AN braided ine on a power steering system it makes no sense at all to me? What is it internally teflon?

What are the specification on that hose?

You can buy specific power steering AN lines and fittings.

I've done stainless braided AN hose before but this hi psi hose and fittings are different. It was supposed to come with an instruction sheet but no. How do these connect up?

Yep, the hose is teflon. I have it at my place of employment. PTFE hose is awesome, man. The actual tube within the braid is very thin, which gives the OD of the hose a very low profile. Also, teflon hose withstands a lot of heat, and has excellent chemical resistance, so it is ideal for oil coolers because it wont cook and get hard and brittle like the rubber hose most people use for this.(Though you cannot clamp this hose; you must use appropriate fittings) Ive got a set on my car. I can look up the working pressure of the hose if you like, but its more than adequate for PS, I assure you:thumb:

I've done stainless braided AN hose before but this hi psi hose and fittings are different. It was supposed to come with an instruction sheet but no. How do these connect up?

You slide the ferrule over the end of the hose, let the end of the hose stick out of the ferrule a few inches. Next, you put the bite- ring between the braid and tube at the end of the hose- this is a pain without the tool kit, but not too bad. After you get the bite ring in, you shove the barbed fitting all the way into the hose, then slide the ferrule up to the threads of the fitting and line them up. When you screw the ferrule onto the fitting, be SURE only to turn the ferrule, not the fitting, because youll screw up the bite ring and if the fitting is rotated within the hose as youre putting it together, you could literally twist up the tube inside.

I've found the spec sheet on one of those links on the first page it the rates the PTFE at 3000 psi.

KRC racing (power steering pumps for road racing demands) has some pretty high spec hose too that they use from Eaton they also provide very indept information on hose diameters and power steering pump demands.

hey guys bring back this thread, my car was at a stand still , as i was doing other work, i have no power steering at all im lost on what can be wrong theres a new pump new rack all new lines and new fluid my gess, it could be the lines are crossed.

is there some one that can run out side and doble check for me the line coming off the pump goes to what port on the rack? closer to the fire wall or closer to the block.

Check your rack fittings, the small fitting 14x1.5 is the high pressure that comes from the pump, the big fitting 16x1.5 is the return line which it goes to the cooler and comes back to the reservoir.
Also, did you check that the lines were clean when you install them?, some times when you cut them, some debris can go inside the hose and fu####t up all the system, i usually clean all the lines with carburator cleaner and put the air pressure hose in it to take all the dirt out.
Also, did you use 6AN or 8 AN for the return line?.
Some people use 8AN for the return line for better flow, But I used 6AN in all lines.
I did my set up like this with no problems.

I just check my photos and the one closer to the fire wall is the return line (16x1.5), and the one closer to the engine is the High Pressure Line (14x1.5).

By the way, Here is my AN set up, I went a little different.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/402650-awd-conversion-project-3.html

Last edited:
Thank you, your set up looks really good , my lines are all 6-an, and no I can't say I checked all the lines but I unplug them and fluid runs thro them,
I will be taking everithing out tomororw and flushing everything.

Then I will be installing it back after I check the lines and all,

Also I have a small cooler in the front does it matter what line goes in to the cooler side,
The cooler is flat on the radiator suport, from the reservoir goes to the far end ( passenger side) fitting on the cooler, then from the cookie goes to the rack.

It doesn't matter what line goes where in the cooler, which your cooler is flat, so you are good there, But I see your cooler lines comes out from the passenger side, Do the lines crosses in front of the radiator from driver to the passenger side?, if they do, all I can think is, your lines are to long, you should use 8AN for the return line, But I remember you stated that, there is no noise from the pump, If the lines were to long or to small for the return line, starvation will occur and noise would come out from the pump.
If noise doesn't come out of the pump, then it is not because it needs oil (starvation).
I think you should check your pump, it might be off.

Let us know how things turn out.

hey so today i took everything out took lines off cooler off reservoir off, cleaned everything, double checked all fittings and threads,

i hooked up the lines the right way and i have been trying to bleed it i think i got it i don't have full power steering yet but i feel coming on.

i also think my oem reservoir as a pin hole on the bottom where i welded the fitting.

the pump and rack are new remans. so i don't think its the pump or rack, as for the lines i remember when i did the cooler set up the braided lines where smaller about 5" each compared to the stock ones.

i did the turn wheel bleeding today i did about 5 times each side, my country will be playing today for the euro cup" Portugal" so i cut the work short and will continue Wednesday,
i seen people saying that it needs to be done 15+ times? i will have a go at it Wednesday.

hey every one so i have some updates,

today i had a go at it, looked over everything no leaks , lines are the right way, all lines are clean and fluid runs freely,

turn the wheels from lock to lock 20 sec on each side, it feels better but right befor lock its really hard to turn it still,

i couldn't find dexron II tat my local pepboys so i just got royal purple is that ok?

should i empty the fluid out and use dexronII and see if that makes it better.?

Hey guys new update today I turned the car and I unbolted the high pressure line I let I spit for a lil, turned off the car filled the reservoir turned it from lock to lock refilled it and it's better then befor, thanks every one for all your help.

I just messaged him yesterday about this. :)

I'm going to do something similar.

M14 x 1.5 bump tube fitting with o-ring to an-6
M16 x 1.5 bump tube fitting with o-ring to an-6
M14 x 1.5 inverted flare fitting to an-6

Instead of welding a bung onto the pump banjo fitting, I'm going to retain the flex line and use an inverted fitting adapter on the end.

Then high pressure an6 hose under frame rail to the adapter on rack.
An6 from the low pressure return adapter to a cooler mounted where abs pump used to be. An-6 to hose barb adapter on other side of cooler, and stock hose clamp hose back to OEM reservoir.

All OEM hardlines and the OEM cooler will be gone. All OEM flexlines by brake/clutch masters will be gone.

Last edited:
sorry to bring this back but i was wondering on the PS feed its a 1/2" tube which is close enough to a 8AN fitting! can iI lower this to a 6AN for the feed? I dont know the exact limits of what it draws in at what speed or pressure so I am not sure if its going to make it slightly higher pressure going in and will damage it or if it wont even pull enough in because its smaller!

if someone can help it would be nice as i cannot find 8AN hydraulic fittings and thought i would just use normal ptfe hose and normal fitting as itslow pressure side of the pump!

let me know your views

I can't find 14mm adapters with enough length past the O-ring for the flare to seat - all the sealing is on the O-ring and because of that there's also no way to know how tight to thread in the fitting.

The low pressure side's 16mm fitting seats fine. That side doesn't need as much flare depth and standard steel box adapters work like they're supposed to.

Has anyone found a 14mm to AN adaptor that actually mimics the dimensions of the original high pressure side hardline? It's flare end has a lot more length than any adapters I've found.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back